3 tourist visas in one year too much??!!

Im currently stuck in dmk they are refusing entry. Sleeping in holding room. I just flew in from penang getting my third tourist visa there all three back to back in penang. These are the only three tourist visas in my life for thailand. They are saying i have to go back to penang tomorrow. Stay in my country too much !! 250 days..they said limit is 180 in a year. Wondering if anything i can do tomorrow when talking with them. I said 20k baht to show, ticket out of thailand.They said nope doesnt matter computer saying no entry. Maybe a bribe?

Edited by at15

Do you mean a tourist visa or a visa exempt entry? If they are real tourist visas, this is very odd. You are US nationality, right? Did you have any overstays? If you overstayed and then immediately tried to come back, your experience is, perhaps, understandable. Are they holding on to your passport right now?

This is a first, even for DMK!

If they've already denied entry I doubt there's anything you can do other than go back to Penang.

Normally the recommendation would be to try another entry point, but if they are claiming the computer says no then there's a good chance you could be denied at all checkpoints.

You could try a land entry at the Malaysian border because if they deny entry you can turn around and go back into Malaysia.

If you get a formal denial stamp in your passport it will make future entries difficult. They should issue with a letter confirming the formal denial. Once you have that people might be able to better advise you.

Yes real 60 day tourist visas. The first two i extended 30 days. This third one i just received yesterday 11/23 and fly back to dmk denied. thought this was really weird since i did what im supposed to do. Never had an overstay. Yes u.s. citizen. And yes they are holding my passport they have some paper filled out about denied person but i have not signed it yet. One guy said just wait a couple months and come by land for some reason easier than plane? They tried to get 800 baht out of me for this holding room and giving me food but i refused and just bought a sandwich from airport. 

Edited by at15

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

Do you mean a tourist visa or a visa exempt entry? If they are real tourist visas, this is very odd. You are US nationality, right? Did you have any overstays? If you overstayed and then immediately tried to come back, your experience is, perhaps, understandable. Are they holding on to your passport right now?

Just intrigued as to how you figure he is from the USA (have scrutinized his post) taking into account his username.....(I know...maybe I should get a job or something.555)

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You could appeal the denial of entry. They have to respond to it within 7 days.

It would mean staying in detention until decided.

What does the paper they want you to sign state as the reason for denial of entry.

Every country has the right to accept or deny entry without need to give an explanation

A stay of more than 180 days would in my EU country require to have a work permit or other reason than "tourism" to become resident / the names of our own nationals can be erased from the registers of residence if they stay out of our country for more than 180 days a year.

• Like 2

I am I missing something, the OP clearly states he just obtained his third TV from Penang, so by definition has entered on two before, therefore 2 x TV = 120 Days, 2 x extensions = 60 days, so total number of possible days would be 180 on two TV, not 250 days?

Unless one of them was ME, the intimation in his posts are they were SE?

Many reports now of this 180 day alert on the immigration system.

Oh yeah sorry forgot to mention i had two visa exempt entries. 

I think this 180 day thing maybe a new alert in computer? 

Ubonjoe i would like to appeal but lets be honest it would like a .0001% chance right?  Really dont want to waste 7 days in this place. 

Edited by at15

26 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

Every country has the right to accept or deny entry without need to give an explanation

Thailand does put the reason for the denial of entry on a stamp in a persons passport. It has the paragraph numbers  of section 12 of the immigration act that were the basis for denial of entry.

I think it is misconception to say that countries do not  need to give a reason for the denial.

• Like 1

The US has the exact same rule. My GF has a 10 year US visa and gets 180 day stamps, but she can't spend more than 180 days in a year in the US total. (She never tried, but I've known other women that tried going to Mexico and coming back. They were not denied, but given shorter stamps and told about the rule.) This is getting to be pretty common I think. Once you are over 180 days in country, you're a resident. 

• Like 1

Just to provide some more background information, a nice summary is found here by BritTim:

"The limits on visa exempts are quite unclear. As best as I can tell, six visa exempt entries totaling 180 days in Thailand will cause the immigration official to receive an alert hat the entry should be scrutinized more closely than normal. (This alert does not depend on whether entries are back-to-back, and the aging of the visa exempt entries until no longer considered relevant is also unclear.)

When the alert is received, at an airport, you will probably be referred to a superior official who will question you with a special emphasis on whether you can support yourself in Thailand without working illegally. If satisfied, you will be allowed entry. There is no hard limit on the number of visa exempt entries possible. However, the official will probably lecture you that you are not using visa exempt entries as intended and should get a suitable visa.

At some land borders, once an alert is shown, the immigration official may (illegally) just refuse to allow you to enter saying "the computer told him to do it". In theory, there is an appeals process against this, but in practice there is little you can do.

In other words, clear as mud. You are safe doing a few; after that who knows?"

• Like 2

Do not sign anything unless it is in english. Also I know this is a sore point but what kind of tourist stays in a country for half a year. Most tourist are two weeksand gone. I think they have finally come to realize that staying on a tourist visa more than 6 months they are living here may not be working but living in Thailand without proper visa. I personally donot care what people do but Thailand seems to be wakeing up to all of the miss use of there visas

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Do not sign anything unless it is in english. Also I know this is a sore point but what kind of tourist stays in a country for half a year. Most tourist are two weeksand gone. I think they have finally come to realize that staying on a tourist visa more than 6 months they are living here may not be working but living in Thailand without proper visa. I personally donot care what people do but Thailand seems to be wakeing up to all of the miss use of there visas

some people retire before age 50.  it would be nice if they had a visa for those people (maybe eliminate the age requirement). 

• Like 1