Police check point. Gimme a break

Anthony5

8 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Yeah, bu that requires logic and common sense. I was waiting for some paperwork at the Driver's License bureau and was having coffee by the driving portion of the process. As they called each new prospective license holder to drive the course, the first road sign was a stop sign, then a left turn. Only two in 18 prospective license holders stopped. 

Everyone on earth is born stupid, it is from then on that you have to learn, and when nobody cares you end up with a situation like we have today in Thailand.

Again for those that say that nothing will ever improve in Thailand, and my post is just a waste of time and space.

Those same posters probably also said that many of the things that have been enforced by the army in everywhere in Thailand in the past year alone would never happen.

Look around and take notice of the ample examples of things that have improved, which nobody would ever dare to think about.

Edited by Anthony5

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 24/11/2559 at 10:05 PM, Anthony5 said:

Do you have an issue with my post, or is it just that chip on your shoulder that got itching?

Yes he has an issue with your post.

Why do you get angry if someone disagrees with your post ?

Will it make you happy if everyone, who comments says " Wow great post. You are 100 % correct ".

Wow what a great post. Happy now !

2 hours ago, louse1953 said:

You don't fear the police in Oz,you fear the huge payout.

That and the demerit points system, all too easy to lose your licence from speed cameras, red light cameras and school zone cameras, let alone mobile speed cameras, must admit, haven't felt stressed driving here in Issan, most drivers/riders take care, except for the occasional cowboys, but when I way it all up, I feel safer driving here as opposed to Sydney drivers, sure most won't agree though.

1 hour ago, Anthony5 said:

Everyone on earth is born stupid, it is from then on that you have to learn, and when nobody cares you end up with a situation like we have today in Thailand.

Again for those that say that nothing will ever improve in Thailand, and my post is just a waste of time and space.

Those same posters probably also said that many of the things that have been enforced by the army in everywhere in Thailand in the past year alone would never happen.

Look around and take notice of the ample examples of things that have improved, which nobody would ever dare to think about.

Typical straw-man argument. Nobody said nothing will ever improve and indeed everyone would agree that some things have improved. (We may agree to disagree on what those are, exactly, and how many of them.)

The point, which you've SOMEHOW missed, is that TVF whinging didn't cause any of those improvements. They're all as home grown as pad Thai, Thais "evolving" according to their own schedule & priorities. That's how it works, incomprehensible as it seems here to our countless experts who know much, much better. Now they might listen to the Chinese government on a few points. ;) Otherwise, best get over the ol' comforting delusions of farang grandeur. 

Edited by JSixpack

2 hours ago, hdkane said:

that's an appropriate attitude if you don't live here...or if you obey the laws and believe that a threshold of reasonable safety has been reached...but the lack of enforcement affects anyone who actually lives here and must encouter the apathy...what if your kids or wife were killed by a drunk driver who was ignored by the police?

I do live here and drunk drivers could be anywhere in the world, suffice to say unless Thailand really try's to crack down on drink drivers and be proactive on the road, not talking school patrols or road blocks checks, everybody is more exposed, and regarding the wife and kids, although she can drive, I am the one driving, unless she is driving back from the airport after dropping me off about twice a year, and is around 3.00pm, so she has plenty of time to get back before dark having two lanes both directions.

59 minutes ago, mettech said:

This is Thai way and regardless of what we say or do it will not change anything it is regard  the same way if immigrants would come to my country and try to change anything  it would be wise  to ship them out.

Sure foreigners asking to improve anything should be booted out of Thailand.

Tell that to those pesky foreigners at the World Health Organisation.

http://pattayatoday.net/news/thailand-news/who-urges-thailand-to-enforce-traffic-laws/

WHO urges Thailand to enforce traffic laws

1 hour ago, Kabula said:

Be calm and enjoy the country.

You are a guest and Police business and tradition is none of your business!

Your comments are monitored so if the Police come to your home, ask them about the sign! ?

Lack of enforcing traffic laws has nothing to do with tradition or culture.

I am a guest, who want to stay alive, in this country

I run the same police stop daily here stopped one day out of 6 (not there on a sunday) They don't discriminate they pull cars lorries bikes. However as it's there daily not many bikes use the road now funnily enough. I don't get wound it by it there doing there job as they see it. As for no helmets people not wearing a helmet are not going to kill me as a direct result of not wearing one they may get killed themselfs for not wearing but that's there choice.

Mr or mrs farang complains like mad on here about check points, I wonder how many when stopped are Mr and Mrs politeness yes sir no sir. Stop whining and as long as your legal stop worrying about things you can do absolutely nothing about.

On 11/24/2016 at 9:19 PM, 4MyEgo said:

As long as they didn't stop you & ask for a bribe, wouldn't worry about it, their country, their relaxed laws, I don't really see an issue, "it is what it is" 555

I don't really see an issue either, but if any of these motorcyclists are obviously under age, then I see a really big issue.

On 11/24/2016 at 9:25 PM, Anthony5 said:

Ever considered that it is because those fools don't do their job, 28.000 people evry year die on Thai roads, which tomorrow may include you or me?

Yes you are right, but riders not wearing helmets or riding three on a bike is not going to include me, so I don't bother about it.

5 hours ago, louse1953 said:

Fair enough for the police,but where are the brains of mc riders,all over the road sometimes.A lot more helmets being worn these days but plenty still refuse.The one i hate is when the 2-3 year old stands up on the seat between the parents.

but where are the brains of mc riders?  Brains??????????????????????

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 11:06 AM, petermik said:

I was stopped a while ago in my car at a checkpoint,as the officer peered into my car I offered him a polo mint,he accepted gracefully wai,d me and waved me on............:cheesy:

A whole mint or a mint with a hole ?:smile:

On 11/24/2016 at 9:25 PM, Anthony5 said:

Ever considered that it is because those fools don't do their job, 28.000 people evry year die on Thai roads, which tomorrow may include you or me?

Well, 28,000 people die on American roads every year, and another 30,000 are killed by guns (about 18,000 of those are suicides, but still). Worse than the deaths are the even larger number of people maimed/crippled for life. But you can't save anybody. I notice here in Nakhon Sawan most people don't wear helmets most of the time. I don't myself, and worry about it. When I was a kid riding my bicycle miles at a time going to friends' houses, nobody ever heard of wearing a helmet. I am aware every day that I might very well die before tomorrow or worse. Nothing I can do to prevent that. Carpe diem.

Edited by Acharn

2 hours ago, Kabula said:

Be calm and enjoy the country.

You are a guest and Police business and tradition is none of your business!

Your comments are monitored so if the Police come to your home, ask them about the sign! ?

Here we go, the "we are "guests" in this country brigade strike again.

3 minutes ago, Acharn said:

Well, 28,000 people die on American roads every year, and another 30,000 are killed by guns (about 18,000 of those are suicides, but still). Worse than the deaths are the even larger number of people maimed/crippled for life. But you can't save anybody. I notice here in Nakhon Sawan most people don't wear helmets most of the time. I don't myself, and worry about it. When I was a kid riding my bicycle miles at a time going to friends' houses, nobody ever heard of wearing a helmet.

I fact in 2013 more than 34.000 people died on American roads, yet that was only 12.6 per 100.000 motor vehicles, about 1/7th of the Thailand rate.

If you have more vehicles and more miles of roads in a much larger country, it's abvious you gonna have more fatal casualties/

3 minutes ago, Anthony5 said:

I fact in 2013 more than 34.000 people died on American roads, yet that was only 12.6 per 100.000 motor vehicles, about 1/7th of the Thailand rate.

If you have more vehicles and more miles of roads in a much larger country, it's abvious you gonna have more fatal casualties/

Yes a bigger country but still human lifes being turned off. regardless of facts and figures. from a so called first world country who endorses the right to bear arms

34 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

May I ask you why???

Do you really need to? OK. imagine the scenario, you are driving your car, a ten year old biker comes out in front of you, you hit him/her and see their mangled body lying on the road. Poor innocent kid, lying there dead or crippled all because of a stupid parent handing him/her, the keys to their bike.

Got it now?? There are also other scenarios, do you want any more??

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

Do you really need to? OK. imagine the scenario, you are driving your car, a ten year old biker comes out in front of you, you hit him/her and see their mangled body lying on the road. Poor innocent kid, lying there dead or crippled all because of a stupid parent handing him/her, the keys to their bike.

Got it now?? There are also other scenarios, do you want any more??

No more needed, so you use a highly emotive senario to try to make a point but  the actual chances of your senario playing out are so small compared to say you speeding and hitting the car in front. so no I haven't really got it as you say. So I guess you would be ok if the said 10 year old was hit by you whilst on a push bike or walking on side of road???.

37 minutes ago, Acharn said:

Well, 28,000 people die on American roads every year, and another 30,000 are killed by guns (about 18,000 of those are suicides, but still). Worse than the deaths are the even larger number of people maimed/crippled for life. But you can't save anybody. I notice here in Nakhon Sawan most people don't wear helmets most of the time. I don't myself, and worry about it. When I was a kid riding my bicycle miles at a time going to friends' houses, nobody ever heard of wearing a helmet. I am aware every day that I might very well die before tomorrow or worse. Nothing I can do to prevent that. Carpe diem.

One thing you can do to prevent your death is to wear a helmet!!! If not for your sake, but for your family's.  Carpe diem, but do it in a way you can do it day after day. 

33 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

No more needed, so you use a highly emotive senario to try to make a point but  the actual chances of your senario playing out are so small compared to say you speeding and hitting the car in front. so no I haven't really got it as you say. So I guess you would be ok if the said 10 year old was hit by you whilst on a push bike or walking on side of road???.

How many motorbike fatalities are there in a day here in Thailand? How many of them are underage?

I rest my case.

2 hours ago, Anthony5 said:

Lack of enforcing traffic laws has nothing to do with tradition or culture.

I am a guest, who want to stay alive, in this country

Simple...if you feel at risk, leave!

Don't scare others away with your content.

I have traveled all over Thailand and  neighboring countries for over 10 years and I'm still alive. 

I have a Thai drivers license and for over ten years I've see most drivers disobeying traffic laws daily with no Police enforcement. That is there tradition and culture that they have seen their entire life!

When streets are like a parking lot, police enforcement restricts traffic flow which can cause more accidents!

I see less accidents here in Bangkok than in most US cities.  I was an independent accident investigator and Insurance Adjuster with my own firm for 30 years.

On 11/24/2016 at 9:47 PM, KMartinHandyman said:

Often it looks like checkpoints are set to seek a specific crackdown target only. Sometimes it's motorbikes,cars,pickups,big trucks,buses,insurance,helmets or licenses.They seem to stick to flagging only those vehicles. That way their crackdown numbers meet the need to show action was taken and the problem was solved.

Luckily they never target German cars :-)