What background color on passport photos for extension of stay application?

I am doing a 1-year extension of stay because of marriage next week at CM Immigration and I wondered if anyone knew if there is a preferred background color by Immigration on the 4x6 cm passport photos that go on the application? Someone told me the background should be white - and someone else told me it should be light blue. Or can it be any color without any problems? Thank you.

Actually the standard background for official photos here is blue and used to have great difficulty getting anything else (even if taken on a white background printer would make it blue).   But have never had any issue with white or off-white background for TM.7's and suspect that is what most people use.  I take and print myself for the last decade.

• Like 1

Who remembers the infamous "Foreign National Information" form?

Fortunately I was never bothered with.

But it's the only one I stumbled upon a hint about back color of passport photo:

photo.jpg

I could bet that I used photos at Khon Kaen with some light grey background in 2015 or so with no complaint (I am the DIY passport photo guy).

I guess they would have had a bad day to bother you about any light colored background different from white.

"6 months": that was the only complaint I got in almost 6 years:

"next time new photo, too old", still accepted with a smile.

Immigration asks for a white background.

Be sure to note the size of the photo required on the application form and request that from the photo studio.

Also, the angle of your head is important now with your mouth closed for facial recognition.  The U.S. Embassy rejected prior photos I presented due to the angle of the head.  If the headed is tilted down a bit, facial recognition with security cameras is not effective.

I was referred to the photo shop next to the U.S. Embassy.  They are great and their photo size is exact, head angle perfect, white background and they are aware Thai Immigration does not want to see teeth. They do certified translations as well. ?

41 minutes ago, keeniau96 said:

Phuket Immigration takes their own picture with video for computer. Did not notice my background this past June.

So does Bangkok and probably most offices now - but you still have to have a 4x6cm photo attached to the rear of the TM.7 right?  That is what we are talking about.

• Like 1

As this topic is 'Chiang Mai Immigration" specific it should be in the Chiang Mai Forum ?

The concept of standardization of rules as regards Thai Immigration is a leap too far, everything is "my patch" based at officer and location level.

Over the years I have submitted photos taken against both blue and white backgrounds with no problem at my local immigration office.

IMHO this apparent flexible attitude contrasts starkly with HMPO's intransigent insistence on us Brits having our passport photos taken against light cream or light grey backgrounds. Background colours which yer typical Thai professional photographer is not geared up to taking mug-shot photos against, meaning that compliance with this particular over-fussy requirement is, in practice, all but impossible!

5 hours ago, OJAS said:

Over the years I have submitted photos taken against both blue and white backgrounds with no problem at my local immigration office.

IMHO this apparent flexible attitude contrasts starkly with HMPO's intransigent insistence on us Brits having our passport photos taken against light cream or light grey backgrounds. Background colours which yer typical Thai professional photographer is not geared up to taking mug-shot photos against, meaning that compliance with this particular over-fussy requirement is, in practice, all but impossible!

This whole photograph issue will catch up with them all in due course.

A few weeks ago I went back to UK with BA to Manchester via London. As I went from arrivals to transit I had to pass an immigration type desk so I just removed my glasses as usual for the camera. When I came to board the aircraft however I got caught out, I couldn't pass the barrier. This woman came running over and said 'are you wearing glasses in your passport', obviously not, and I should realised. Cameras are popping up all over to check your passport photograph, HMPO may appear inflexible but with good reason. The queues are bad enough without dodgy photos coming into play.

On 11/28/2016 at 2:40 PM, sandyf said:

This whole photograph issue will catch up with them all in due course.

A few weeks ago I went back to UK with BA to Manchester via London. As I went from arrivals to transit I had to pass an immigration type desk so I just removed my glasses as usual for the camera. When I came to board the aircraft however I got caught out, I couldn't pass the barrier. This woman came running over and said 'are you wearing glasses in your passport', obviously not, and I should realised. Cameras are popping up all over to check your passport photograph, HMPO may appear inflexible but with good reason. The queues are bad enough without dodgy photos coming into play.

Fair point, but what gets on my goat is the way in which we are left entirely to our own devices in obtaining passport photos which comply with HMPO's requirements. Thai nationals have their passport photos taken as a matter of routine as part of their application/renewal process, so why can't HMPO make a similar facility available for us Brits on an optional basis at least, particularly given the current requirement to travel to Bangkok in order to submit applications in person in any event? Personally I would be more than happy to pay a small premium for my passport photos to be taken as part of the renewal process since the excess cost (when compared to that of obtaining photos from a professional photographer) would, in my case, almost certainly be greater than the petrol, etc costs which I would incur in endeavouring to track down a photographer in my part of the world who was both familiar with, and capable of taking photos complying with, HMPO's requirements.

47 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Fair point, but what gets on my goat is the way in which we are left entirely to our own devices in obtaining passport photos which comply with HMPO's requirements. Thai nationals have their passport photos taken as a matter of routine as part of their application/renewal process, so why can't HMPO make a similar facility available for us Brits on an optional basis at least, particularly given the current requirement to travel to Bangkok in order to submit applications in person in any event? Personally I would be more than happy to pay a small premium for my passport photos to be taken as part of the renewal process since the excess cost (when compared to that of obtaining photos from a professional photographer) would, in my case, almost certainly be greater than the petrol, etc costs which I would incur in endeavouring to track down a photographer in my part of the world who was both familiar with, and capable of taking photos complying with, HMPO's requirements.

Valid comment, same with the driving licence, the Thais have it built into the process. The Thais have to attend a designated office whereas in the UK it is a centralised postal service which is probably a lot more convenient for the working population.

Couldn't agree more about the photographer. When I did my passport 2 years ago, despite being extremely explicit about the requirements they still had to be redone.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tubby johnson said:

The Thai embassy/consulate in Vientiane didn't accept blue background when I was there 6 months ago. A lady took pictures of each of us with a white background and printed them out right after.

It's all up to the whim or mood of each official.

Not a whim at Vientiane. Their requirements are posted on the their website. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/PhotoRequirement.pdf

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

WHITE or BLUE background? Er.. YES.

Seems to me, going by my last couple of years experiences travelling out and back into Thailand, that at least 2 'pasport size' 6x4cm pics, WHITE background will always be required for the visa itself, whichever country you apply in, and then later when you go to Thai immigration, locally, to extend your stay, those WHITE background pics, any you have left, you will be told are of no use now, and so you will have to go 'next door' to get your pics taken again but with a BLUE background (for 200bt).. Vice versa, of course, any BLUE background ones you have left will be deemed unacceptable next time you need to go elsewhere and start the visa process over again.. Just the way of it, now, it seems. :wai:

Edited by spectrumisgreen
to change something in my post!

12 minutes ago, spectrumisgreen said:

and then later when you go to Thai immigration, locally, to extend your stay, those WHITE background pics, any you have left, you will be told are of no use now, and so you will have to go 'next door' to get your pics taken again but with a BLUE background (for 200bt)..

Not at all immigration offices. Most will accept either white or blue.

Over the years I have used both at my local office. For the last few years I have used photos I took as a selfie in front of a off white door as the background that I edited to down to 4 X 6 cm and printed them out on photo paper myself.

On 11/28/2016 at 8:34 AM, davehowden said:

As this topic is 'Chiang Mai Immigration" specific it should be in the Chiang Mai Forum ?

The concept of standardization of rules as regards Thai Immigration is a leap too far, everything is "my patch" based at officer and location level.

Unfortunately, end of the day (ultimate decision time) this is too true! There is supposed to be 'standardisation' but given that the person in charge at any Consulate or Embassy - or Immigration Office - has been given the ultimate say-so (or not) on our applications, then yes, it will, at least CAN, come down, to a 'My patch..!' scenario, especially if, as I see so many, 'alien-applicants' (us!) go in with a 'No, no! You're NOT going to mess ME around!!' attitude! Having just returned to Thailand from an extended period working in China, I can at least say that here such things are usually relatively straight forward as that 'dispensation' various authorities have there to deal with you as they will can be no less than soul-destroying!!!  :wai:

Edited by spectrumisgreen