Pattaya - Hua Hin ferry could be a dead duck even before it starts as local authority warns of damaged pier

Jonathan Fairfield

16 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

The technology is readily available for a fast, comfortable vessel that can accommodate both passengers and their vehicles. However I don't see either the investment or the competency required to select the correct vessel.

Plenty of examples of stable high speed ferries that operate in worse conditions and over greater distances. 

But will they do a short term lease to test the concept and price points before having to spend $$$ tens (hundreds?) of millions to test the market with a vessel that probably won't be made and delivered for years and years?  

It's a chicken and egg thing.  Or a horse and cart...  Unless someone can clean up on kickbacks for ordering stuff that may never be put to use.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

What is the state of the cruise terminal in?

I just came back from Halifax (Canada) and during my time there they had regularly between 1 to 3 cruise ships of mid sized (largest 18th ranked in the world).   I am surprised there is not as much of a push out here for that sort of business.... lots of people with cash to spend.  Surprised they could not just share the same set of piers, and if they are in such poor repair -- what does that bode for the future of cruise ship dockings (noticed there are at least one company docking ships there).

Cruise ships on the Bali Hi pier! Have you ever seen it in real life? That is the mother of all non starters.

As I have recently bought a return ticket for the maiden trip (kindly supplied by one of the nearby deck chair operators) I find this statement misleading and confusing :sad: it clearly states on my ticket a departure time of 9.00 am following a blessing from the monks followed by a champagne breakfast once under way......so this report is balderdash.

As my ticket is for the last seat any TVF members considering making an offer to purchase may do so by PM.....initial cost to me was 5000 baht for the return trip :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, GuiseppeD said:

I wanted to hold hands with my friend on the inaugural crossing from Pattaya to Hua Hin.  Just such a disappointment.

And I wasn't expecting a pink speedboat.  That's just so gay.

Real men don't think of pink as 'gay'.

But what makes it truly hilarious, is that the above whiny comment sounds more like your presumably female 'friend' wrote it!

34 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

The technology is readily available for a fast, comfortable vessel that can accommodate both passengers and their vehicles. However I don't see either the investment or the competency required to select the correct vessel.

Plenty of examples of stable high speed ferries that operate in worse conditions and over greater distances. 

IMG_3803.JPG

I read this post that was quoted in a reply ( without picture ) and came here to mention precisely the ferry you posted in the picture. That one is obviously Greek, but they use the same sorts on British routes.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

There  was a very nice new high speed catamaran running before. I know because i did the journey about 6 years ago HH to Pattaya.

I don't think it was high season and the boat was only about 20% full.

My experience was that it took longer than you would think, even on a fast boat like that, It was at least 3 hours if i remember correctly. Not to mention the waiting around for a few hours for it to try and fill up more before leaving.

Also even though the sea wasn't that rough you felt every bang from every wave it went over as the boat crashed down hard every 15 seconds.

Half the people on board, including my girlfriend were green from sea sickness by the time we arrived.

Afterwards we both agreed that next time we would take a taxi or the bus.

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

What about a high speed rail link?

There is a railway - and they have in many parts  given it a two track layout............you wouldn't need hi-speed to create a quick and efficient shuttle service first to the airport ad then on to Bkk and Hua Hin. unfortunately no-one seems to have the vision or inclination to  sort this out.

In Thailand the lions share of government funds are used to subsidise road development the the concomitant ills

Talk of hi-speed trains etc are only propaganda ad the reality is that Thailand could if they wanted have a convenient lo-cost rail network that could take the strain off roads etc and  save hundreds of lives but the will isn't there - just as  they love to talk about "express cat Ferries" but avoid the realities of what service is needed and how much that would really cost. Practicalities and action take second place to face.

basically anything outside a pickup truck on a motorway is a total fantasy in Thailand.

2 minutes ago, Loeilad said:

There is a railway - and they have in many parts  given it a two track layout............you wouldn't need hi-speed to create a quick and efficient shuttle service first to the airport ad then on to Bkk and Hua Hin. unfortunately no-one seems to have the vision or inclination to  sort this out.

In Thailand the lions share of government funds are used to subsidise road development the the concomitant ills

Talk of hi-speed trains etc are only propaganda ad the reality is that Thailand could if they wanted have a convenient lo-cost rail network that could take the strain off roads etc and  save hundreds of lives but the will isn't there - just as  they love to talk about "express cat Ferries" but avoid the realities of what service is needed and how much that would really cost. Practicalities and action take second place to face.

basically anything outside a pickup truck on a motorway is a total fantasy in Thailand.

Although my post was partially tongue in cheek, I agree with what you say.

16 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

... despite the harbor authority being gung-ho about the service there are serious reservations from other Pattaya officials who would need to give their permission for the service to get off the ground. ...

15 hours ago, Mooner said:

Ha ha. Never thought to check the piers state before announcing the venture

The 'severely damaged' pier is safe enough for '10,000 people a day' so I would suggest that these 'other Pattaya officials' haven't gotten their Christmas presents yet.

3 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

submarines and tourists could be charged even more for the trip

Submarine was already tried ( quite a few years ago )  it was yellow    and all the coral and most of the fish where dead..  waste of money

16 hours ago, Mooner said:

Ha ha. Never thought to check the piers state before announcing the venture

If it cost money to fix it will not fly sorry float. Its easy to float ones boat but you always need a secure place to embark and disembark. They could mount a couple guns on it and find money in the military budget there is always money there. 

17 hours ago, GuiseppeD said:

It can cut down on the travel time but I just want a nice smooth and safe crossing.  4k baht return for me and wife is fine by me. 

well i doubt it will be faster and it certainly wont be smooth so it looks like you are out of luck. i suspect so will the rest of us as this ferry service was tried before but failed at least once. not sure why it is getting so much publicity this time.

Just curious, has anyone even seen the vessel they are planning on using? Will it be able to accomodate vehicles? Passenger capacity? Facilities and amenities? On-board services? For all the hype, it seems the operator is short on details other than (IMO) overly-optimistic travel times and relatively hi prices. 

Maybe this is it. A little fiber-glass patchwork, paint, buff to hi-gloss shine and voila! Ladies and Gents the MV Searaper!

images (1).jpg

18 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Thank goodness! Phew! Pattaya linked to Hua Hin, low-so meets high-so, no, no, no-so. Behave.

Absolutely it's a question of not wanting to be effected by the types who frequent P. which by all accounts is still like the '  Wild West' mostly attracting extreme , lawless types from anywhere and everywhere. 

18 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The jetty in Laem Bali Hai is severely damaged after being used by 10,000 people a day and is an accident waiting to happen, it has been claimed.

Nothing to do with the fact that it was "Jerry Built"???

It was falling to bits before the finished building it, the balustrade's falling off, exposed electrical fittings, lighting fittings falling down, the list is endless...