Phuket Governor declares war on motorbike-riders without helmets

webfact

On 11/30/2016 at 3:42 PM, brain150 said:

No idea why anybody cheers on this complete and utter nonsense of being forced to to something because "it's good for you" BS !!!

Quote: “All motorbike riders in Phuket should wear helmets 100 per cent of the time for their own protection,” he said.

... why not let anybody decide what's good for anybody ?

It does NOT harm anybody else so why would there be any reason to force somebody to it ?

It does NOT make traffic safer as in fact it does NOT affect traffic at all [my motorbike drives the same way with or without a helmet !

It's NONSENSE and the decision is in anybody's own responsibility for one self !!!

If I don't want to wear a helmet who the hell has authority to

force me to wear one ?

... only slaves accept self appointed authority !

18 hours ago, masuk said:

Why then are motor cyclists in some states of the USA fined for not wearing helmets?

Because the US, like the rest of the Western world, have no qualms about coming up with laws - for 'the citizen's own safety', hence the term Nanny State.

FWIW, I agree that “All motorbike riders in Phuket should wear helmets 100 per cent of the time for their own protection” and personally, value my life enough to always wear a helmet - but have no problem with others deciding not to wear a helmet as its their life that they're risking, and their decision harms nobody else.

Edited by dick dasterdly

5 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

but have no problem with others deciding not to wear a helmet as its their life that they're risking, and their decision harms nobody else.

I'm afraid I can't go along with that, because their decision can harm other people........

If they have head injuries and are taken to hospital, then they are using up valuable resources in that respect, not only that they will be attended to in hospital by doctors and nurses and possibly be subjected to scans from MRIs, x-rays et cetera.

I would feel very aggrieved if I was waiting to use some of those resources in a hospital if the idiot who had an accident on his bike and wasn't wearing a crash helmet was holding me up and thereby possibly putting my life in danger. Not only that, if that very person survived but became something of a vegetable, then someone has to look after him/her and that can be a cost to the everyday taxpayer in many countries – – so one way or another we are affected by this.

Just now, xylophone said:

I'm afraid I can't go along with that, because their decision can harm other people........

If they have head injuries and are taken to hospital, then they are using up valuable resources in that respect, not only that they will be attended to in hospital by doctors and nurses and possibly be subjected to scans from MRIs, x-rays et cetera.

I would feel very aggrieved if I was waiting to use some of those resources in a hospital if the idiot who had an accident on his bike and wasn't wearing a crash helmet was holding me up and thereby possibly putting my life in danger. Not only that, if that very person survived but became something of a vegetable, then someone has to look after him/her and that can be a cost to the everyday taxpayer in many countries – – so one way or another we are affected by this.

Oh come on - how often does this happen?

Most often they die on the scene, and if they survive how often do they hold up someone else in the queue?

Regardless, I understand that you get bad tempered if some stupid person (i.e. not wearing a helmet) inconveniences you.