Yamaha Aerox 155cc Launch

freedomnow

Sorry if this has been discussed before but what's the deal on the stop/start for the Aerox ABS? Mine requires the first time for the bike to be stationary for 10 seconds before the system becomes active. And from then on (with the green light on) it cuts out immediately when I stop. I love my Aerox but I have rented Click that have more-sensible timing for the stop start. At the first service I asked the mechanic and he said what I have is normal.

Aerox ABS owners, please comment on your stop/start experience regarding the time required to stop first time and afterwards.

As for what Pine Sol recently wrote..

The back brake is fine and I use it a lot. In fact, right now I'm having to ride with my right hand in a slab (cast) meaning the rear brake is getting plenty of action. I also rented an NMax in Bali and my wife hated it (and me for a period????) and although I enjoyed the motor's pull, I wasn't really impressed with the bike. Since coming back to BKK, I have bought (and love) an Aerox ABS.

If only they did the ABS spec with the Monster Energy race rep colours, I would be a very happy bunny! ????

20190711_162156.jpg

On 5/9/2019 at 11:55 PM, Pine Sol said:

heres my 2 cents....

after years of renting wave 125's and click 125's, i finally rented an aerox r for 6 weeks on samui

im 208cm and 110kg

wife is 152cm and 40kg

looks are simply amazing, had the black and yellow, stands out and above every other bike no matter where you park. riding position is taller (and slightly leaning forward) then other bikes makes for good view (and command) while driving in traffic, rear seat is HORRIBLY thin and sparsely padded, wife hated it, front isnt much better few times i would sit on the back wife infront of me while i drove and yes, it sucks. my height is mostly in my legs and for once am able to ride with my legs together like pretty much everyone else but it feels more comfortable to ride with them spread. front brakes are great, does the rear drum even work? at speed its hardly noticable, going slow nothing seems to happen. avoid any situation where you need to use the rear only. unknown if it was only the bike i rented but the front forks are dismal, couldnt decide if it was a lack of oil or really soft springs, the slightest crack on the road and they would painfully bottom out, and the rear suspension wasnt much better, i had to start remembering where (all) the cracks and pot holes were, the aerox handled well through twisty mountains with an ability to accelerate up hill, seemed straight as an arrow when ridding slow through traffic. the extra power was much welcomed getting around slower traffic compared to a click. the click i could easily carry 2 large white water bottles on the flat foot rest, the aerox was similar to the wave, in that i could only carry 1 at a time balancing it between my legs. 2up we easily/ comfortably cruzed along at 80km/h (on the islands). fuel tank was small, seemed like we were always dropping by to buy more fuel, headlights were good at night.

we rented a nmax on bali immediately after the aerox for a week

brakes were day and night better, both the front and the rear actually did something, at speed the rear (only) you could easily shave off speed, front and rear suspension was very good but with a longer wheelbase at times it felt a bit akward, but the seating was noticeably lower and in traffic i had a hell of a time trying to find the center (riding) balance, so much that i never could crawl along in a straight line as i had had on the aerox, it always wanted to flop from one side to the other (may have been from the different riding position), made it down right impossible to ride in kuta's bumper to bumper traffic, headlights were also good. leaving a stop light, i want to say it felt like it had much more get up and go, quickly the bike would get up and over 110km, and comfortably drive along the highways. the sitting position was a nice change on the nmax with my legs forward more like a crusier but that placed more weight on my tailbone and with the shape of the seats made it never feel comfortable for a long drive..

as similar as the bike are, we/ i found them to be day and night different from each other.

yes, i would buy one, as i think/ feel they are worth more/ better then a comparable PCX, even fixing/ modifying/ changing all their short comings

change the suspension front & rear

add a rear disc

change the fuel tank from TDF Motorsport (8.2L for aerox & 12L for nmax)

swapping/ modifying the seat

further down the road, greed might make me think about changing/ modifying the displacement (stock pulleys and weights)

which model?

i really really really liked the aerox for zipping around on the island, slipping through traffic, felt like owning/ driving a rare and exotic supercar

the namx was very good for quick off the line and crusing along the highway

good review it is almost too bad they didn't up the price another 10000 baht on the aerox and put a decent suspension on it and add a rear disc and a decent seat.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 6:44 PM, Agusts said:

I don't know about expensive premium that Shell or BP etc. offer,  but standard E10 RON 95 does not differ in cleanliness than E10 RON 91, only difference is in their RON , look it up and fill up according to engine model and compression....

I don't think the myth of 95 petrol better and cleaner than 91 ever dies from people's mind ... something magical about higher number... lol

It's very sad but I stand corrected. I always believed that premium 95 was produced to a higher quality standard than 91.

If you talk about the added ethanol fuels then they definitely add water to the mix. I used to sell a dewater product to guys racing ethanol fueled race cars.

Just another imperfection added to the history of someone previously perfect....

On 8/30/2019 at 5:30 AM, Billthekiwi said:

It's very sad but I stand corrected. I always believed that premium 95 was produced to a higher quality standard than 91.

If you talk about the added ethanol fuels then they definitely add water to the mix. I used to sell a dewater product to guys racing ethanol fueled race cars.

Just another imperfection added to the history of someone previously perfect....

From what I read the added ethanol in petrol over time absorbs water from the air, specially humid air, hence the problem with water, this also could rust or damage any hoses, gas tank or carb or injection parts on the route of petrol delivery that is not manufactured to deal with it...

But most modern bikes sonce last 10 or more years are designed and bulit to work with this now,  E10 or E20 petrols are okay regarding this water issue...

• 1 month later...

Was watching the Thailand MotoGP time trials last night, and after Valentino Rossi's crash (He was O.K.), I saw him taken back to the pits by a Yamaha Aerox 155 MotoGP edition. Looked great, complete with replica livery graphics.

What an awesome pit bike Yamaha has to use for their champion MotoGP riders, and show off to the world. 

The others like Honda etc, have nothing special at all.

Yamaha was very smart creating this very special sports scooter for this segment, particularly since it mimics a sports super bike. Only the Gilera Runner and Derbi GP1 came close, and they don't make them anymore.

If Piaggio were smart (they own Aprilia, Gilera & Derbi), they would make a proper Aprilia SR150 to compare with the Yamaha Aerox 155. They have a SR150 made in India, but thats just a Piaggio Typhoon that is rebadged as Aprilia. 

I'm surprised Yamaha has not started selling the Aerox 155 in Europe yet, as they would have the market all to themselves, for aspiring young sports scooter riders, who want the best sports 155cc in the world, and dream of being MotoGP riders.  

I guess sooner or later, Yamaha will release it to Europe, after seeing how massively successful the Aerox has been going in the Asean markets. 

Edited by benzina

16 minutes ago, benzina said:
17 minutes ago, benzina said:

Was watching the Thailand MotoGP time trials last night, and after Valentino Rossi's crash (He was O.K.), I saw him taken back to the pits by a Yamaha Aerox 155 MotoGP edition. Looked great, complete with replica livery graphics.

Rossi & Marquez both crash.

Wild.

papa fell off his bike 2x yesterday too.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, benzina said:

I'm surprised Yamaha has not started selling the Aerox 155 in Europe yet, as they would have the market all to themselves, for aspiring young sports scooter riders, who want the best sports 155cc in the world, and dream of being MotoGP riders.

Most young scooter riders are limited to 125 so it would have to be an Aerox 125 using the NMax 125 engine.

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Most young scooter riders are limited to 125 so it would have to be an Aerox 125 using the NMax 125 engine.

Yep, they could sell the Aerox 125 from Vietnam. They already offer the Nmax 125 & 155 in Europe, and both Nmax & Aerox 125 / 155 engines are Euro 4 compliant.

They should go for it. 

Edited by benzina

• 2 weeks later...

At the moment I ride a Yamaha Nouvo 135 Elegance 2009, had it for about 5 years, no breakdowns only punctures. As its getting a bit long in the tooth I was thinking of upgrading to a Yamaha Aerox 155, I like the NMax too, but I don't think I could justify the extra it would cost to buy it.

The Nouvo was the first motorbike I have owned, so still pretty much a novice, does riding on fatter tyres make any difference to the handling of the bike and after reading some reports on here it would appear that the Aerox is not the most comfortable bike on offer, any thoughts on this.

My wife is not the greatest fan of riding on the back of the Nouvo, so I would imagine that the Aerox passenger seat with being so high up might pose a problem, although in all honesty she will only ride with me when the car is in for repair.

I only use the Nouvo to pop about locally etc, but who knows what will happen in the future, may have to do a border run with all the changes that immigration are imposing on us at the moment.

So for a portly gentleman of 70 years old do you think that the Aerox would be a suitable replacement? Thanks.

• Like 1

Vogie i am of a similar age and was seriously considering the Aerox. But the high passenger seat and higher cost put me off. In the end i went for a Yamaha Freego which i am happy with. Great for shopping and local trips. Do you really need that extra 5hp?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, vogie said:

At the moment I ride a Yamaha Nouvo 135 Elegance 2009, had it for about 5 years, no breakdowns only punctures. As its getting a bit long in the tooth I was thinking of upgrading to a Yamaha Aerox 155,

I have the same Nouvo as you and have been wanting to upgrade to Aerox since they came out but the Nuovo is such a great bike i cant bring myself to change it......nice low end power (for a scooter) and size is great for buzzing through traffic. ....keep meaning to rent a Aerox or take a test spin but apart from the looks not sure if any advantage over the Nouvo for day to day spinning about...

Could be wrong but not sure if addtional weight of the Aerox negates any cc advantage of the Nuovo.??

Would be nice to hear from someone whos ridden both bikes ..

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 7:33 PM, Agusts said:

From what I read the added ethanol in petrol over time absorbs water from the air, specially humid air, hence the problem with water, this also could rust or damage any hoses, gas tank or carb or injection parts on the route of petrol delivery that is not manufactured to deal with it...

But most modern bikes sonce last 10 or more years are designed and bulit to work with this now,  E10 or E20 petrols are okay regarding this water issue...

Guys racing performance cars did not want any water at all in the tank. I can attest to that.

They were my best customers.

On 10/21/2019 at 9:02 AM, Henryford said:

Vogie i am of a similar age and was seriously considering the Aerox. But the high passenger seat and higher cost put me off. In the end i went for a Yamaha Freego which i am happy with. Great for shopping and local trips. Do you really need that extra 5hp?

Been looking very seriously this last week on the internet and I narrowed it down to three bikes, the Aerox, the Freego and the Lexi, I must admit I really liked the Lexi but couldn't justify the extra money, and just bob down to the shops etc so the Aerox would be wasted really.

On 10/21/2019 at 9:52 AM, William Osborne said:

I have the same Nouvo as you and have been wanting to upgrade to Aerox since they came out but the Nuovo is such a great bike i cant bring myself to change it......nice low end power (for a scooter) and size is great for buzzing through traffic. ....keep meaning to rent a Aerox or take a test spin but apart from the looks not sure if any advantage over the Nouvo for day to day spinning about...

Could be wrong but not sure if addtional weight of the Aerox negates any cc advantage of the Nuovo.??

Would be nice to hear from someone whos ridden both bikes ..

I bought my Nouvo Elegance 135 about 5 years ago, done about 4000 km on it, it has less than 24000 on her, bought it for 18000 baht. Went down and decided to buy the Freego, the lady offered me 10,000baht for my Nouvo, it doesn't owe me anything, very happy with the offer, so will go down tomorrow and finalise the deal. HP prices are exorbitant over here so may have to pay cash, but mai pen rai.

• Like 1

Just been down and paid for the bike, could have brought it back with me but my wife said tomorrow is a luckier day, 8 o'clock to be exact. Got a free helmet, a disc brake lock and a T shirt to go with it.

When I enquired about the HP yesterday, what with my bike in p/x and a 20,000baht deposit, it left a balance of 23,000baht, she said that the interest rate was 1.83%, but when I worked it out I was paying an extra 21,000baht for the privilege of loaning 23,000baht over a year.

Asked about insurance for theft, she said it was 2,700baht for two years, didn't seem too bad, but in the first year they pay out 80% value of the bike and in the second year 60%, is this the norm?

Treating myself to a birthday pressie soon,   N-max or Aerox .

would appreciate your opinions , pros and cons , thank you.

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, elliss said:

Treating myself to a birthday pressie soon,   N-max or Aerox .

would appreciate your opinions , pros and cons , thank you.

Here's a comparison between the Aerox and the NMax. Seems to me that the Aerox is for zipping around town, only a 4.6 litre fuel tank, whilst the NMax has a 6.6 litre fuel tank and more suited for the long journeys, but don't take my word for it as I know nothing about bikes, but I have done some research over the last month.

https://www.zigwheels.ph/compare-motorcycles/yamaha-mio-aerox-vs-yamaha-nmax

• Like 2

That 4.6 liter gas tank is a pain on long trips, when we go with my friend he constantly has to look for gas station - although that is not too bad in Thailand these days,  there are many....! while on my Forza I can fill up and forget it for a long long while... ????

To put the Aerox 4.6l gas tank and fuel consumption into perspective, the Aerox will give you an average 160kms-190kms on 1 tank of fuel....thats fine with me, but i understand it might be an issue for some on long long trips, of which the Aerox wasn't really designed for.

Edited by benzina
  • Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 8:12 AM, benzina said:

My opinion.....

1. Aerox 155 is the best looking sports scooter ever created. 

2. Aerox 155 has the outright best power to weight in the 150cc segment, the world over.

3. Aerox 155 handles better then Nmax.

4. Aerox 155 has sports riding position which i much prefer, compared to Nmax low seat high handlebar cruiser chopper style which i don't like, and which seriously effects crawling pace center balance, which i hated.

5. In short....Aerox all the way.

It is just a scooter you can dress it up with all the bells and whistles you want but it's still a scooter.

The Nmax is the same and I am sure it's the same engine, I have a Nmax but much prefer to ride my older Forza it is so comfortable to ride and fun too on the highway.

• Like 1

I’ve had the Aerox nearly two years now and I’m very happy with it, it’s quicker than any scooters out there in the jungle ( unless they’re modified ) I have been doing the service every 4000 kms as it’s required by Yamaha and haven’t had any issues so far..????

I’m the fastest one independently of the other people’s bike cc. especially the bigger size bikes which tends to get stuck in traffic but also because they’re useless  and very dangerous at riding/driving anything ????????‍♂️

The same engine size NMax is heavier and slower yet more comfortable if that what you’re looking for, it’s brakes are better because it has a disk brake at the rear wheel as well and that’s why it’s heavier and slower..

Ps; I don’t mind filling up my Aerox little tank every 100ks you got to be quick to get out of potential accidents which can happen at every given moment here since they sleep on the roads,hardly ever look out for other people and their in car tv, phones and especially thick minds are just an addition to it..

Edited by Ramdas
  • Like 1

And thats the great thing about the Aerox...its perfect straight out of the box in my opinion, and their's no need to add any bells or whistles either.  

Its also important to remember when comparing Aerox vs Nmax vs Forza vs PCX, that the Aerox is the only one in that  group without that bulky front end added after the handlebars.....Thus, much better road view down, and better manoeuvrability. 

For e.g., its the difference between say driving a truck with a full length bonnet, compared with a truck without.

This particular design feature of the Aerox vs the rest, was yet another big plus in my view.  

Edited by benzina
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding particularly the engine oil change service intervals from new....KMS or Months (Whichever comes first), it would be good to hear what peoples opinions are for those that only use there bikes sparingly. 

Are the months just as important as KMS are?

I understand the beginning is the most important, as tiny alloy particles will be found in the oil of a brand new engine,  and the first service is 1000kms or 1 month.

Knowledgable comments appreciated.

Edited by benzina

57 minutes ago, benzina said:

Regarding particularly the engine oil change service intervals from new....KMS or Months (Whichever comes first), it would be good to hear what peoples opinions are for those that only use there bikes sparingly. 

Are the months just as important as KMS are?

I understand the beginning is the most important, as tiny alloy particles will be found in the oil of a brand new engine,  and the first service is 1000kms or 1 month.

Knowledgable comments appreciated.

A profound question; papa votes ...no.

Depends partly on what kind of oil you are using.

Additives break down over time

mostly by exposure to water in the air.

But at maybe $5 per oil change,

just follow manufacturers' thing.

papa puts maybe 2000km / year on Nouvo.

So annual change seems plenty. 

Oil not dark.