Yamaha Aerox 155cc Launch

freedomnow

18 hours ago, PhiPhi said:

Well after a week with the Aerox I am still very a very happy chappie. Low speed agility is great and in high (ish) speed cornering it is very sure footed helped I'm sure by those big tires.

Power is deceptive because the delivery is so smooth but top end is disappointing and just weird, on the crest of a hill my indicated speed was 109 kph at full throttle during the decent over about 300m the indicated speed was 109 kph, I've never experienced that before and can't begin to expain it ????  The power is great then goes off a cliff edge which might suggest that it's engineered in.

I found it less sure footed on hardpack/gravel backroads than the Nouvo due to the smaller diameter wider wheels which were prone to lateral slippage and less sure footed.

Front brake is very good but yet to try a 100 to 0 emergency stop, the rear brake is a mixed bag, in dry conditions I can't lock it up but it does seem to provide a hefty assist in conjunction with the front brake which is probably just right for a majority of riders.

The aftermarket shopping bag hook from Yamaha seems to be an afterthought, mine does not sit flush with the plastics and will move off center if the retaining bracket is fully tightened, it's not really a problem but lazy engineering from Yamaha.

Fuel consumption showing an average of 30km per liter for mixed riding, slow and considerate in town and wide open on the highways.

Anybody found a good looking topbox option for the Aerox?

@Ramdas Please let us know how you get on with your fork mods

@jbob The high speed shake does not sound right mine is solid as a rock at 110 kph or are you talking about engine vibration but even then I haven't noticed any excessive vibes?

@ PhiPhi..

I’ve had the fork oil replaced at the Yamaha dealer for 200฿ ( It’d seem to me as if there was mineral water in the tubes ) The mechanic replaced it with some thicker oil so now it doesn’t go all the way down under breaking and or when hitting a hump making that horrible bang noise. They’re a bit stiffer now giving me more confidence and stability  at maximum lean, it does stick with the stock tires it’s come with, I like the fact that they get pretty hot quicky ?

I reckon this Aerox scooter is all about acceleration since the top speed seems taking ages to clime up, taking into account the wind force but also obstacles which empedes you from keeping it steady, they seem unable to stay in lane, including the buses, they’re all over the place showing no right  of way or respect to other motorists, very dangerous !

They shouldn’t be allowed to drive big buses either trucks !

Other than this, I’m not quite sure on the speed displayed since sometimes it feels way faster than what’s showing then other times seems to take its time to reach 115kph plus speed and yes the wind still makes it wobble.

Mind you depending how you ride my average kms per full tank is not less than 100kms but if you stay below 100kph you can get at least 120 kms per tank.

I wonder on the speed too ?

I once saw 122  downhill but then I had to close the throttle because of some idiots who can’t drive in his lane or straight for that matter ??‍♂️

Please, always look for blind spots since the come from everywhere without looking ! Stay safe and apply defensive and alert riding at all times??

Cheers !

Edited by Ramdas

@PhiPhi have you seen the super highway in chiang mai? its bumpy as shit (up and down shake) and you feel every one of them 555. When you hit the brand new section the ride is butter smooth (especially with a warm engine), after the sharp inch and a half high bitumen transition bump... 

So I did some PCX research and apparently it does 100 mpg, mine is reading 35.8 km/L which if you convert it is 84.21 mpg so really not much difference apart from the small fuel tank but 80-100b and <5 mins stop every now and again for city driving is fine. I thought the difference was a LOT more

3 hours ago, jbob said:

@PhiPhi have you seen the super highway in chiang mai? its bumpy as shit (up and down shake) and you feel every one of them 555. When you hit the brand new section the ride is butter smooth (especially with a warm engine), after the sharp inch and a half high bitumen transition bump... 

So I did some PCX research and apparently it does 100 mpg, mine is reading 35.8 km/L which if you convert it is 84.21 mpg so really not much difference apart from the small fuel tank but 80-100b and <5 mins stop every now and again for city driving is fine. I thought the difference was a LOT more

In Chiang Mai  can do 180. After 180. Its little shakes..

But its not about nmax, aerox or pcx. They Speer its 110-120... So its fine road for this is speed.

1 hour ago, ardokano said:

But its not about nmax, aerox or pcx. They Speer its 110-120... So its fine road for this is speed.

Thanks for clarifying that.

;-)

• Like 1

I bought an ABS model a few days ago from the 2018 offering.

It is really nice to ride however there are 2 issues for me. On the righthand side of the front fairing is a pointed knee buster.

The other problem is the rear footpegs which can catch you on the shin dismounting.

I've had to train myself to avoid these things.

But I'm coming to love this scooter.

Oh the other issue is access to an english version of the manuals. I do wish that the fuel tank was slightly larger capacity. OK around town but not so clever outside.

I must buy a bag hook too.

10 minutes ago, Billthekiwi said:

I bought an ABS model a few days ago from the 2018 offering.

It is really nice to ride however there are 2 issues for me. On the righthand side of the front fairing is a pointed knee buster.

The other problem is the rear footpegs which can catch you on the shin dismounting.

I've had to train myself to avoid these things.

But I'm coming to love this scooter.

Oh the other issue is access to an english version of the manuals. I do wish that the fuel tank was slightly larger capacity. OK around town but not so clever outside.

I must buy a bag hook too.

i read a few pages ago  someone was thinking  to convert the underseat storage to an auxuliary fuel tank 

i would definately be interested in doing that ,im just not sure what i could mould it out of to use the entire 25 litre storage  for extra fuel + the regular tank

any ideas please post them here 

On 3/24/2018 at 8:57 PM, ardokano said:

Thanks for clarifying that.

;-)

16 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

i read a few pages ago  someone was thinking  to convert the underseat storage to an auxuliary fuel tank 

i would definately be interested in doing that ,im just not sure what i could mould it out of to use the entire 25 litre storage  for extra fuel + the regular tank

any ideas please post them here 

fiberglass/resin

Im getting some extra insurance for the Aerox (mainly for damaging others as the own damage and medical they give is not that high). However the problem is they ask about a picture of the chassis nr and I have no idea where that is located.

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

Im getting some extra insurance for the Aerox (mainly for damaging others as the own damage and medical they give is not that high). However the problem is they ask about a picture of the chassis nr and I have no idea where that is located.

I don't know the answer, but this might help ...

http://www.yamaha-motor-yes.com/docs/yamaha_vehicle_ID_number.pdf

Just now, robblok said:

Thanks, still could not find it I will wait for more info. Strange thing is i send the green book already and the number is in there. Not sure why they want a picture of it.

Doesn't the owner's handbook show the location of the frame number?

30 minutes ago, robblok said:

Thanks, still could not find it I will wait for more info. Strange thing is i send the green book already and the number is in there. Not sure why they want a picture of it.

Take it ti one of those vehicle inspection places 

[that have a yellow-gear-on-blue field sign].

They pro number gitters.

@Ks45672  I brought a 5 liter plastic petrol can with integral spout and breather for 300 baht in home-pro, fits perfectly underseat if you're out on a long ride.

As for the VIN number, it is located at the rear of the underseat storage under a rubber bung labeled PULL VIN.

The rear passenger pegs can be vicious so much so that pillions are now required to retract them immediate after dismount on penalty of walking home if they forget ;)   

Edited by PhiPhi
Extra Info
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PhiPhi said:

The rear passenger pegs can be vicious so much so that pillions are now required to retract them immediate after dismount on penalty of walking home if they forget ;)   

You hard.

2 hours ago, PhiPhi said:

@Ks45672  I brought a 5 liter plastic petrol can with integral spout and breather for 300 baht in home-pro, fits perfectly underseat if you're out on a long ride.

As for the VIN number, it is located at the rear of the underseat storage under a rubber bung labeled PULL VIN.

I'd be more interested in converting the whole 25 litre bathtub of storage into a secondary self feeding fuel tank if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg..... 

If the 2nd  underseat tank could feed the small main tank by itself that would be great

Fill up ~29 litres  at the pump would be  nice

Edited by Ks45672

You realise the 25l area is lower than the 4l tank.

You going to install a pump.?

Easier to use just the 25 liter tank

[if that would be enough capacity for you]

and convert the 4 liter area to storage for tools or sumfin.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had an Nouvo Elegance for 5 years and have been considering an Aerox. 

Hired one in phuket the last few days. My impressions are that the Nouvo handles better than the Aerox with its larger diameter tires and slimmer lighter body. The Aerox has more go, and accelerates smoothly and quickly. Seems less stable on corners but that's just probably getting used to the smaller fatter tyres. The handles feel lower than the Nouvo making me feel more bent over, and the fairing is too close to my left knee. The body feels fatter and heavier.

All in all a nice bike, but not good enough to make me trade in the trusty 135.

Edited by oval
  • Like 1

On 26/03/2018 at 8:06 PM, papa al said:

You realise the 25l area is lower than the 4l tank.

You going to install a pump.?

Easier to use just the 25 liter tank

[if that would be enough capacity for you]

and convert the 4 liter area to storage for tools or sumfin.

Most if not all of the 25L storage looks higher than the receded fuel tank cap on the regular tank but I haven't checked in detail yet

• 3 weeks later...

How do you know if it's a standard, R or ABS model? Is there any visible clues? I just bought one yesterday, amd I must admit i did not know there are different versions. I just tried it out and compared to a nmax, and chose the Aerox as it was most comfy and I liked the style better. Today I see this thread on the Aerox, and different versions, and now I am just curious. I know the shop said it have ABS (big hint?) but is it only the ABS model that have this? Its black/red with no remote. I just ordered a hook in the shop also.

5 hours ago, Lowryderen said:

How do you know if it's a standard, R or ABS model? Is there any visible clues? I just bought one yesterday, amd I must admit i did not know there are different versions. I just tried it out and compared to a nmax, and chose the Aerox as it was most comfy and I liked the style better. Today I see this thread on the Aerox, and different versions, and now I am just curious. I know the shop said it have ABS (big hint?) but is it only the ABS model that have this? Its black/red with no remote. I just ordered a hook in the shop also.

There are in fact 4 versions now, check this web page below and use the browser translator (right-click on the page and select Translate to English):

https://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/commuter/yamaha-aerox-155/overview

Edited by Agusts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Lowryderen said:

If it has ABS, it should have the ABS sticker on the front fender. They don't seem to have the ABS model offered in red on the website.

• Thanks 1

It don't say ABS anywhere on the bike though.. Only the shop seller said it had it..

I am going there anyway to pick up a hook tomorrow.. Will have to ask again. But I do trust random members on this forum more than random sellers in a shop :smile:

That's the ABS on the perforated black round sensor on the brake disk, there is also a black cable coming from it that transfers the reading to the brake system. Aerox only has front ABS though, back brake is drum.... (Nmax has both front and back ABS).

If you are brave enough you can try it in a safe place, just make sure the wheel is straight and then brake hard, no need for a lot of speed.... (Note: This poster accepts no liability if you go down with your new bike.... lol)

• Like 1