Bumrungrad is Thainess personified

elgenon

I recently visited Bumrungrad as an outpatient for the second time this year. Both times I was amazed at the sweetness, respect, caring, patience and quality of care. The experience epitomizes my idea of Thainess. I strongly recommend the experience (whether you need it or not-55555555).

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once had an FNA at Bumrungrad, this is where you lay flat on a table, tilt your head back and somebody inserts a needs into your thyroid gland in your neck - it sounds ghastly but it's a breeze and quite painless. For that procedure, which took all of two minutes to perform, five nurses/nurse assistants in blue gowns came in and stood either side of me and two of them held one of my hands each, not as if to restrain me but almost affectionately, as if to say, it's OK, we're here and we'll take care. It was quite the experience and comes highly recommended.

Yes I do understand very well what the OP means.

I thought Thainess was something more like cutting across traffic without signalling while turning into the temple to make merit? Or waiing the traffic cop just after he has relieved you of some red ones for bugger all? Or the locals plonking their junk on the counter in front of you at the 7-eleven check out?

In 2005 I went to Rutnin eye hospital for a check-up - everything was OK. A few week later I had a bad headache for a few days. I went Bumrungrad hospital and they diagnosed early onset Alzheimer's. I was talked into MRI's and other expensive treatment which included 6 powerful drugs that sent me close to crazy. After a few weeks of madness I took myself off the drugs and suffered severe withdrawals. They then told me the headaches were due to acute angle glaucoma and did laser surgery. That then led to endless visits [probably 15 times] for check-ups at 3000 baht per time. On a trip home to Australia I went to see an ophthalmologist who told me once you have laser surgery you DO NOT need to go for checks. And I obviously do not have Alzheimer's now 11 years on. 

They were just ripping me off - Thainess indeed.

Not always...

Depends on the doctor!

I went in for a full physical there and told the doctor I wanted the package discount and even asked the nurse for the brochure.  I handed it to the doctor and pointed to the price.

The doctor intentionally over charged me for each item listing them individually.

I filed a fraud complaint with their Adminisration Office.

They conducted a two week investigation and sent me a credit for all charges and a  apology.

In the end they did the honorable thing.

As I recall, I heard the doctor was fired.  He probably was charged for my all charges!

I have been there many times and I recommended this hospital to my friends, too. The service and the kindness is behind imagination as well as the professional regard, treatment and care of their medical staff. Medical fact-finding and diagnosis are in-depth and profound and medical care and treatment correspond to the latest medical procedures. Not to mention the medical equipment which is state of the art. One would wish to find this at other places, too. Yes, the Bumrungrad is a private hospital and the bills are higher, but it is up to you to choose your option from the recommendations of your doctor. I never had the feeling that I had been forced into something. You are always treated with respect and attention. Even one time when I could prove a wrong diagnosis from a doctor I was compensated for the medication. I have been to other hospitals too, but the Bumrungrand will always be my first hospital of choice. (Even if it might sound like it: I am NOT paid for this post...)

23 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Then reality strikes.

The bill arrives.

Aaaarghhhh -- I'm having a heart attack.....

:smile: 

(Bangkok Pattaya Hospital -- 2,300 baht to have my ears clean out -- twice as much as back home)

I'm surprised you were surprised. I found hospitals have price lists for reference and some like Bumrungrad can email prices for specialized treatments and therapy. But you have to ask beforehand.

23 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Then reality strikes.

The bill arrives.

Aaaarghhhh -- I'm having a heart attack.....

:smile: 

(Bangkok Pattaya Hospital -- 2,300 baht to have my ears clean out -- twice as much as back home)

Where is home?? I am not saying private hospitals as Bumrungrad, or Bangkok Hospital and some others, who offer 1st class service, are on the cheap side, but compared to most western counties (Europe, USA, Australia) they are very reasonable!

23 hours ago, chiang mai said:

I once had an FNA at Bumrungrad, this is where you lay flat on a table, tilt your head back and somebody inserts a needs into your thyroid gland in your neck - it sounds ghastly but it's a breeze and quite painless. For that procedure, which took all of two minutes to perform, five nurses/nurse assistants in blue gowns came in and stood either side of me and two of them held one of my hands each, not as if to restrain me but almost affectionately, as if to say, it's OK, we're here and we'll take care. It was quite the experience and comes highly recommended.

Will they do the same treatment with the nurses and no needles? 

1 hour ago, Trentham said:

In 2005 I went to Rutnin eye hospital for a check-up - everything was OK. A few week later I had a bad headache for a few days. I went Bumrungrad hospital and they diagnosed early onset Alzheimer's. I was talked into MRI's and other expensive treatment which included 6 powerful drugs that sent me close to crazy. After a few weeks of madness I took myself off the drugs and suffered severe withdrawals. They then told me the headaches were due to acute angle glaucoma and did laser surgery. That then led to endless visits [probably 15 times] for check-ups at 3000 baht per time. On a trip home to Australia I went to see an ophthalmologist who told me once you have laser surgery you DO NOT need to go for checks. And I obviously do not have Alzheimer's now 11 years on. 

They were just ripping me off - Thainess indeed.

Although I don't doubt your story, I am more than surprised, It is very untypical of either Bumrungrad or Bangkok hospitals and I do speak from personal experience with both, I simply can recommend both.

OK.......That is nice to know...but not all that impressive.

The reason it is not all that impressive is because:  "THAT"  is what you are paying for while that particular hospital is not cheap at all.

Geez...Why should they be highly praised when all that they do is what they are obligated to do and should do and what is expected of them to do while they are charging you a lot of money to do anything that they do for you.

Just saying and reminding people.

Cheers

17 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

Although I don't doubt your story, I am more than surprised, It is very untypical of either Bumrungrad or Bangkok hospitals and I do speak from personal experience with both, I simply can recommend both.

I can tell you an even worse story about BNH Hospital. In 2008 - 9 they treated me for reflux. On two occasions I went to their emergency dept. at 3 Am  in terrible pain. Once they gave me a suppository and said I was constipated and on the other they laid me on a trolley for an hour with a drip in my arm which almost knocked me out. Meanwhile they kept feeding me reflux pills. I went home to Australia for a holiday and went to a local GP for some more reflux pills when I ran out. He refused them and sent me for tests. 2 weeks later I was in Royal Melbourne Hospital with pancreas cancer. I am one of about 3% who survive it. I WILL NEVER TRUST A THAI HOSPITAL with anything worse than a cold.

47 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

I'm surprised you were surprised. I found hospitals have price lists for reference and some like Bumrungrad can email prices for specialized treatments and therapy. But you have to ask beforehand.

Not all that surprised, really, that they would charge so much, as I'd long heard the rumors about their predatory ways -- and I just wanted to test them out -- so the surprise is that I wasn't surprised -- LOL. So, I was just pointing it out. Pre-internet, I didn't have much of an idea of hospital prices as I was always on my work insurance plan, and then later the Thai social security, so bills were never presented to me. I'm still treated under the SS plan, btw, so again no bills.

On 12/3/2016 at 0:33 PM, chiang mai said:

Then the bill gave you a heart attack.

56 minutes ago, Trentham said:

I can tell you an even worse story about BNH Hospital. In 2008 - 9 they treated me for reflux. On two occasions I went to their emergency dept. at 3 Am  in terrible pain. Once they gave me a suppository and said I was constipated and on the other they laid me on a trolley for an hour with a drip in my arm which almost knocked me out. Meanwhile they kept feeding me reflux pills. I went home to Australia for a holiday and went to a local GP for some more reflux pills when I ran out. He refused them and sent me for tests. 2 weeks later I was in Royal Melbourne Hospital with pancreas cancer. I am one of about 3% who survive it. I WILL NEVER TRUST A THAI HOSPITAL with anything worse than a cold.

For the amount of times you get crook,you should stay in Oz,or at least go back once a year for a full check up.

21 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

For the amount of times you get crook,you should stay in Oz,or at least go back once a year for a full check up.

Well I'm 73 now so I'm allowed to get crook a bit. But don't worry, if anything feels serious I am straight home to Oz.

Yeah, they're more expensive, but I saved myself a Kidney biopsy by seeking a second opinion there from my regular kidney doctor at Ramkhamheang, which I happen to think has an outstanding orthopedic department.

Back to the kidney thing: I was examined by Dr. Savitree Talhapak. She straight away diagnosed the likely problem and changed my blood pressure medication. My kidney functions immediately improved and have continued to improve to where I now have completely normal kidney function.

She's an outstanding Doctor.

Hospital thainess: I've experienced that at all of them. The medical staffs in Thailand always very caring and polite.

I had a terrible experience here.

Saw Doctor for inability to swallow down food - endoscopy.

all okayand take these tablets - no need for anything further.

all rushed.

Home and google. Tablets for anxiety. Threw them away.

Next month returned to UK. Doc there recommended Gastroscopy asap.

Diagnosed with Barratts (pre cancer condition). on medication for life and annual biopsy required.

Bumrungrad did a pathetic sham investigation with no responsibilty taken.Their Doc just assumed endoscopy ok and that I was anxious- called bolas when I asked. TERRIBLE!!

I will not name doctor, but I have not forgotten!!

Edited by twix38