What happend if you get transfer to your bank account from abroad

parafareno

If the $500 is money from earnings, then you should be declaring this as income and paying tax on this somewhere. If you are based in Thailand and working, even if your business is conducted online, then the Thailand rules apply to you as a foreigner working or running businesses from here.

Running a business online from Thailand even if your clients are abroad is not a loophole to avoid having to declare you are working here and not registering your company with the tax office.

If your mother for example sent $500 to your bank account here, would you question it? Would the bank question it as they only see a $500 transfer to be fair?

You have already stated that you have no work permit so, according to the present laws in Thailand, you are actually undertaking work in Thailand illegally. Yes, it is a big grey area, but without the work permit, or employment by a Thai company, there is no way for you to get into the tax system.

Seems you have two choices, either stop working immediately and cancel the payment or, keep your mouth shut and stop posting on public forums drawing attention to yourself and continue what you are doing.

There will likely be posters coming along calling BS to online work not being illegal; my point of view is that it is illegal only because the current laws do not specifically cover online work. Their views will be different, but wrong IMHO of course......................:smile:

5 minutes ago, cheapskatesam said:

How exactly do these digital nomad types "declare tax" when they have no work permit?

How exactly do they get a work permit for online work? 

They don't.

Unless they work for a company like igloo, who can offer a work permit, if 2000USD a month goes through their books

1 hour ago, cheapskatesam said:

How exactly do these digital nomad types "declare tax" when they have no work permit?

How exactly do they get a work permit for online work? 

Why would they be stupid enough to declare anything ?

Working online is a chance to declare nothing anywhere you live, so why some people would be retarded enough to pay what other people already pay for them ?

:-)

3 hours ago, parafareno said:

i dont understand you......i have no work permit, i travel the world and work online...sometimes i stay in thailand.....

Yes, you obviously have HUGE experience for asking this kind of question.

Maybe next time you ask what is html or php ?

:-)

8 hours ago, parafareno said:

html is html, and php is php, ok?????

I am digital nomad for 12 years already, been one if the first doing this shit.....i travelled the world people....

You might well have traveled the world, but that does not make you very worldly, judging by you post :sleep:

8 hours ago, parafareno said:

I am digital nomad for 12 years already, been one if the first doing this shit.....i travelled the world people....

Well done. I have been an international gypsy for the best part of 40 years and never had to worry about the tax due on 500 bucks.

But where are you tax domiciled? That's where you will pay any taxes on any earnings. Just because you are currently in Thailand doesn't mean that's where you have to receive your payments for working on the internet does it? Convenient maybe but not mandatory. Unless of course it is the only country where you have a current and accessible bank account.

If u wired the money over to your Thai account, during the same year you earned it, then yes you would be required to file/pay tax.

But if you earned the money in 2015, and the money simmered in your bank account abroad, and moved the money into a Thai bank account in 2016, then the money would be considered "savings" and there would be no tax on that money.

I could be wrong, but that is my 2 cents

What home country are you from and confirm what country the funds came from?

If you are a U.S. Citizen you are required to file an on-line FBAR report before June of each year listing all foreign banks and the max sum for that year.

You must go on line and review the requirements as they may change.

If you ignore that you can be fined big money and more!

If you deposit funds in a Thai bank account the tax will be deducted when you make a withdrawal.

OP parafareno,

If you do some on-line work for foreign clients while staying in Thailand, keep low profile and under any radar, and don't talk about it, as someone may envy you – working without Work Permit and proper set-up, you can even be expelled from Thailand...:crying:

Nobody will probably question $500 transferred into your Thai bank account – could be late payment for something you did before arriving in Thailand – but you are better off with an off-shore account if that is some ongoing business. You can have income abroad, but you cannot do any work from inside Thailand.

In principle you are taxable in Thailand, if you stay here more than 180-days, but under a certain amount you are not even going to declare your income (think it's up around 150k or 180k baht; someone please correct me, if I'm worng about taxation). Taxed retirement pension from abroad seem to be excluded due to double-taxation agreements (you already pay tax in your home-country or somewhere else for retirment pension).

In general the rule for foreign income is very simple, as earnings from abroad are taxable in Thailand when taken into Thailand the same year as earned only; so earnings from abroad are going to be kept abroad the year it's earned, and only taken into Thailand the following year (or later), as then then money are savings, and savings are tax free...:thumbsup:

22 hours ago, chrisinth said:

If your mother for example sent $500 to your bank account here, would you question it? Would the bank question it as they only see a $500 transfer to be fair?

You have already stated that you have no work permit so, according to the present laws in Thailand, you are actually undertaking work in Thailand illegally. Yes, it is a big grey area, but without the work permit, or employment by a Thai company, there is no way for you to get into the tax system.

Seems you have two choices, either stop working immediately and cancel the payment or, keep your mouth shut and stop posting on public forums drawing attention to yourself and continue what you are doing.

There will likely be posters coming along calling BS to online work not being illegal; my point of view is that it is illegal only because the current laws do not specifically cover online work. Their views will be different, but wrong IMHO of course......................:smile:

Yes I fully agree, yet may I add that any foreigner staying in Thailand more than 180 days is by the Thai Revenue department regarded as a 'Tax Resident' (not to be confused with 'Permanent Resident') and therefore, as a general rule, taxable for any and all income and pension from abroad that actually is received here in Thailand. Therefore, even without a work permit foreigners staying here more than half a year are obligded to pay tax here, though not on income or pension that is kept outside Thailand. This is the general rule but any foreigner staying more than 180 days should read the relevant Tax Agreement between Thailand and his/her country.

Finally, when you declare your annual income/pension the Thai Revenue dept will use your detailed bank statement to check how much you bring in. Normally, smaller amounts explained as gifts etc will not create any problems. Hope this was helpful.

1 hour ago, Yggdrasil said:

Yes I fully agree, yet may I add that any foreigner staying in Thailand more than 180 days is by the Thai Revenue department regarded as a 'Tax Resident' (not to be confused with 'Permanent Resident') and therefore, as a general rule, taxable for any and all income and pension from abroad that actually is received here in Thailand. Therefore, even without a work permit foreigners staying here more than half a year are obligded to pay tax here, though not on income or pension that is kept outside Thailand. This is the general rule but any foreigner staying more than 180 days should read the relevant Tax Agreement between Thailand and his/her country.

Finally, when you declare your annual income/pension the Thai Revenue dept will use your detailed bank statement to check how much you bring in. Normally, smaller amounts explained as gifts etc will not create any problems. Hope this was helpful.

Wow ! it's so funny, thank you, I didn't laugh like this for a long time !

On 03/12/2016 at 3:55 PM, parafareno said:

it will be company sending me money, and they want to send it to bank account.....maybe I should just be quiet, it is only 500 I guess per month.....not a big deal

I would suggest that is you are working online in various countries without a registered company somewhere you best bet is to open a personal bank account in Hong Kong (either HSBC or Standard Chartered or Citibank, etc.) with an ATM card and then always have your payments made there .. it is not illegal in HK and if the revenue comes from outside HK there is no tax liability .. 

Thailand is great for living but working online leaves you open to problems .. just my suggestion

17 hours ago, parafareno said:

You must be joking. If you have been travelling so much and doing this for 12 years. Then it can not be the first time you are about to pay tax on your earnings. Am I right?

16 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

Pensions are not taxed in Thailand. I went to the Thai Inland Revenue Department after reading the regulation that you have quoted. They were very efficient in finding my tax records from when I first worked here 22 years ago, and they told me, that as I am a pensioner, they are not interested in taxing pensioner's income from pensions.