Uber patrons in Chiang Mai

anon467848

15 minutes ago, lkn said:

The driver is unlikely to have paying customers for all of the 34.49 kilometers back to his origin, it would probably be reasonable to assume that for every kilometer with a customer, he drives another one without.

That's a reasonable guess.  One Uber driver I spoke with here in BKK was delighted to be his own boss and told me he had about 8 fares per day, although that sounds low to me.  If the average ride is, say, 20 km and he nets only about ฿3.5/km, then his profit for the day is only ฿70, a lot less than the minimum wage of ฿300/day.  He claimed, however, that he made about ฿800/day, so it's clear that he ignored the cost of his car.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, CaptHaddock said:

That's a reasonable guess.  One Uber driver I spoke with here in BKK was delighted to be his own boss and told me he had about 8 fares per day, although that sounds low to me.  If the average ride is, say, 20 km and he nets only about ฿3.5/km, then his profit for the day is only ฿70, a lot less than the minimum wage of ฿300/day.  He claimed, however, that he made about ฿800/day, so it's clear that he ignored the cost of his car.

Using the figures in your example, he has 8 fares of 20km at a net of 3.5 thb/km.  That's 8 x 70thb = 560 thb.  

7 minutes ago, Diplomatico said:

Using the figures in your example, he has 8 fares of 20km at a net of 3.5 thb/km.  That's 8 x 70thb = 560 thb.  

My error.  However, as lkn pointed out, not all his actual kilometers will generate fares.  So, it's probably worse than that. 

Seems like the modern equivalent of sweat shop labor.

2 minutes ago, CaptHaddock said:

My error.  However, as lkn pointed out, not all his actual kilometers will generate fares.  So, it's probably worse than that. 

Seems like the modern equivalent of sweat shop labor.

More like the trend of companies hiring people but calling them "independent contractors" so they can avoid paying health care, retirement, and other benefits.  Certainly not limited to Uber....though Uber is probably one of the higher profile companies using this strategy.  

29 minutes ago, Diplomatico said:

Thanks,  I understand the fare structure.  Using it, though - your 10:19 minute, 5.43 km ride should have cost you more than 39 thb.  That's why I asked about promo codes.  

I also think that once a driver is considered "long term" he gets 80% of the fare and Uber gets 20%.  The 75/25 split is for "short term" drivers.....at least that's how it works in other cities.  

No idea how the fares came out that way, and I am certain I did not manually enter a promotion code. Maybe Uber applied some sort of discount automatically?

UberX also has a bonus system for the drivers in addition to the percentage of the fare. In Bangkok it's based on the number of trips per month. I'm not sure about Chiang Mai.  

In Bangkok I've had drivers tell me they prefer the short low paying trips because they add to the bonus count.  

Got this SMS on 31st December from Uber

"Happy New Year! Enjoy 50% off your trips till the end of the week with CMTHX2016 and we also have a surprise for you today and 1st Jan only. Details pls click....."

So I take an Uber home at about 2am and it tells me there is 3X surge pricing, but I think ok, it's fine because I have 50% off

Wrong, I contact because they charged me full fare, and that said "Oh, the 50pc is only valid between 1pm and 1am and you took Taxi at 2am" I said, "Did you tell me that in the SMS?"

The driver also took me on a huge detour, I guess the price is worked out on distance so she decided to make some more NYE money

Uber support won't reply to me properly now, just the same BS answer

Not a big amount of money, but principles are principles!

Sash - Did you click the link as they requested and read the details regarding what times the was valid? I get these promotional SMS messages all the time in BKK, and many are only valid during specified times during the stated days.

As for your driver doing a detour, you can request Uber to do a fare review – that option is right there in the app. I have only had a few problems like that, although those were in UAE, but Uber responded within 24 hours and usually faster.

Keep in mind that your fare is based on both time and distance. Given the horrendous traffic I saw in Chiang Mai over the holidays, she may have been doing you a favour by re-routing. That would have been particularly true around Nimman, where it was complete gridlocked when I was there. My driver took some sort of circuitous diversion that included passing through Central Kad Suan Kaew car park and thankfully we were out of it!

I can only say that Uber has greatly improved my life.  

Only one bad ride (clueless driver, many [unintentional, I believe] detours) for which I refused to pay the inflated rate.  Uber did not retaliate in any way, and I reported the driver on their app.

My only suggestion is to take a screen-shot of the quoted rate, or pay in advance via credit card, to assure/insure you get the proper fare.

But all-in-all, I have only good things to say.  It would be overstating to say it's "changed my life;" however, it would be an understatement to say it's a "nice addition" to existing transportation options.

My truth?  Uber has greatly improved my life.

19 hours ago, bubba said:

Sash - Did you click the link as they requested and read the details regarding what times the was valid? I get these promotional SMS messages all the time in BKK, and many are only valid during specified times during the stated days.

As for your driver doing a detour, you can request Uber to do a fare review – that option is right there in the app. I have only had a few problems like that, although those were in UAE, but Uber responded within 24 hours and usually faster.

Keep in mind that your fare is based on both time and distance. Given the horrendous traffic I saw in Chiang Mai over the holidays, she may have been doing you a favour by re-routing. That would have been particularly true around Nimman, where it was complete gridlocked when I was there. My driver took some sort of circuitous diversion that included passing through Central Kad Suan Kaew car park and thankfully we were out of it!

Well the SMS suggests the link is only for the details of my "gift" which I was not interested in. Also the link was http://t.uber.com/cm17gifte  which reinforces that.

I suppose that fares are worked out by distance, I was more than happy to sit in traffic, and if she wanted to do a big detour she should have asked like others have asked me.

I asked Uber for a fare review, and it was an unfare fare review :smile: I got 1 Baht back :sleepy:

Edited by sash66

2 minutes ago, sash66 said:

Well the SMS suggests the link is only for the details of my "gift" which I was not interested in. Also the link was http://t.uber.com/cm17gifte  which reinforces that.

I suppose that fares are worked out by distance, I was more than happy to sit in traffic, and if she wanted to do a big detour she should have asked like others have asked me.

I asked Uber for a fare review, and it was an unfare fare review :smile: I got 1 Baht back :sleepy:

Fares are calculated by both distance and time. Could be you got to your destination faster and cheaper with your driver taking a detour. 

Also, just went back and looked at my SMS messages from Uber. Here is the link for the CMTHX2016 promotion code they sent me.

https://newsroom.uber.com/thailand/ny40en/

Discount 50% off up to 40B discount each trip

For new and existing users in Chiang Mai

Valid from 26 December 2016-1 Jan 2017, 1pm to 1am only

15 hours ago, Simbaya said:

Only one bad ride (clueless driver, many [unintentional, I believe] detours) for which I refused to pay the inflated rate.  Uber did not retaliate in any way, and I reported the driver on their app.

My only suggestion is to take a screen-shot of the quoted rate, or pay in advance via credit card, to assure/insure you get the proper fare.

But all-in-all, I have only good things to say.  It would be overstating to say it's "changed my life;" however, it would be an understatement to say it's a "nice addition" to existing transportation options.

When you were overcharged how did the taxi driver work it out and was the original quoted price still showing on the app?

2 hours ago, sharktooth said:

When you were overcharged how did the taxi driver work it out and was the original quoted price still showing on the app?

I paid the driver 10 baht over my quoted price, but no more.  I gave him the money and got out--no negotiations. No, I could not retrieve the original quote .  It disappeared once the driver was en route.  (Hence, my suggestion to screen-shot the quote initially given).

The funny thing was my subsequent email receipt showed the amount the driver TRIED to charge me--not what I paid.

I guess the driver sucked up the difference-- as well he should have. A well-meaning chap, to be sure, but not a local, probably his first day, with an inability to use GPS or read a map...

But that was only one bad ride out of many.  And many of the drivers are highly proficient in English, as a number of them I've met are professionals (nurses, teachers, engineers) working part-time on the side.

20 hours ago, Simbaya said:

The initial quote is an estimate based upon route and current traffic conditions.  It isn't the necessarily the fare you're going to pay....but it's usually close.  If you have a driver that takes - what you think - is an unnecessarily circuitous route, you can ask for redress via the app.  Many times, though, the driver deviates from what you think is the best route because the GPS he uses shows traffic blockages.  Taking a screen shot of the fare quote isn't going to help you in a fare dispute if there's traffic, road detours, weather, etc.

Stiffing the driver is poor form.  As you probably know, the drivers provide a rating for the passenger (you) just like you do for them.  At some point, if your passenger rating is low enough, drivers will simply refuse to accept Uber's offer to respond to your request for transportation.    

All of that said, I did have a similar experience to yours where I thought the driver took an unnecessarily out of the way route and disputed it via the app.  Uber refunded about 2/3 of the fare after reviewing my message.

Not saying your perception of the driver's route was incorrect....just saying you should be mindful of how you address the perceived inequity.

6 hours ago, bubba said:

Yep I didn't get that link, just the one I showed

Fares are calculated by both distance and time. Could be you got to your destination faster and cheaper with your driver taking a detour. 

Also, just went back and looked at my SMS messages from Uber. Here is the link for the CMTHX2016 promotion code they sent me.

https://newsroom.uber.com/thailand/ny40en/

Discount 50% off up to 40B discount each trip

For new and existing users in Chiang Mai

Valid from 26 December 2016-1 Jan 2017, 1pm to 1am only

22 hours ago, Simbaya said:

Would be interesting to see the route taken, is that something you can share with us?

Alternatively, how many kilometers did he drive and what is the same trip according to Google Maps?

...What I don't like about Uber drivers, but This Is Thailand, is than not all of them have a car phone holder and I often told them to drop the phone, I can GPS for them ;-) . Except this, I like the system, but never asked a car to drive 12mn to pick me, when I have a 10mn drive ... I check the app first, as I know they don't make a lot to drive me back home.

By the way, is it possible to check our rating, as customer ?

Thanks

1 hour ago, khunphil said:

...What I don't like about Uber drivers, but This Is Thailand, is than not all of them have a car phone holder and I often told them to drop the phone, I can GPS for them ;-) . Except this, I like the system, but never asked a car to drive 12mn to pick me, when I have a 10mn drive ... I check the app first, as I know they don't make a lot to drive me back home.

By the way, is it possible to check our rating, as customer ?

Thanks

Yes, you can check your rating as a passenger.

Open the Uber app.  Open the menu (top left corner).  Click on "help".  

Scroll down to "account and payment".  Click it.  

Scroll down to "account settings and rating".  Click it.  

Scroll down to "I'd like to know my rating".  Click it.  Hit submit.  

16 hours ago, Diplomatico said:

The initial quote is an estimate based upon route and current traffic conditions.  It isn't the necessarily the fare you're going to pay....but it's usually close.  If you have a driver that takes - what you think - is an unnecessarily circuitous route, you can ask for redress via the app.  Many times, though, the driver deviates from what you think is the best route because the GPS he uses shows traffic blockages.  Taking a screen shot of the fare quote isn't going to help you in a fare dispute if there's traffic, road detours, weather, etc.

Stiffing the driver is poor form.  As you probably know, the drivers provide a rating for the passenger (you) just like you do for them.  At some point, if your passenger rating is low enough, drivers will simply refuse to accept Uber's offer to respond to your request for transportation.    

All of that said, I did have a similar experience to yours where I thought the driver took an unnecessarily out of the way route and disputed it via the app.  Uber refunded about 2/3 of the fare after reviewing my message.

Not saying your perception of the driver's route was incorrect....just saying you should be mindful of how you address the perceived inequity.

DIplimatico, your point is very well taken.  It was, in retrospect, poor form on my part, and I will not repeat.  Good feedback--thanks.

Ikn-- I don't know HOW many kms we drove!  It was a short hop from the Old City to  Chiang Mai Plastics, which would have taken me 15 minutes walking (if I didn't have a bad knee).

The should have taken maybe 7 minutes, but we meandered for about 25 minutes: high spots of  the trip included the Night Market area, Pantip Plaza--even the approach to the Iron Bridge!

I kept saying (nicely, of course), "This is the wrong way!  Go back, turn (right/left)!"

The poor fella just kept pulling over, checking his GPS and map.  I showed him my Google Map, gave him the address in Thai, and finally pulled out the old dog-eared Nancy Chandler in mild desperation...

He finally stopped and asked someone...still went the wrong way.  After one more stop and inquiry, we finally made it to my destination.  I gave him 60 baht.  I can't remember what his final fare tallied--something around 150-170 baht?

Poor guy...probably from a a small northern village/town, driving his brother-in-law's beat-up Toyota, trying to make a few baht... and I stiffed him.

I've got some merit-making to do!

48 minutes ago, Diplomatico said:

Cool thanks, I am a 5 stars guest  ;-)

Phil.

1 hour ago, Diplomatico said:

yeah and me after 20 trip i got 4.96 star :P not far from 5 ahahha 

Edited by thai006

59 minutes ago, Simbaya said:

DIplomatico, your point is very well taken.  It was, in retrospect, poor form on my part, and I will not repeat.  

Good feedback--thanks.

Ikn-- I don't know HOW many kms we drove!  It was a short hop from the Old City to  Chiang Mai Plastics, which would have taken me 15 minutes walking (if I didn't have a bad knee).

The should have taken maybe 7 minutes, but we meandered for  25+ minutes: high spots of  the trip included the Night Market area, Pantip Plaza--even the approach to the Iron Bridge!

I kept saying (nicely, of course), "This is the wrong way!  Go back, turn (right/left)!"

The poor fella just kept pulling over, checking his GPS and map.  I showed him my Google Map, gave him the address in Thai, and finally pulled out the old dog-eared Nancy Chandler in mild desperation...

He finally stopped and asked someone...still went the wrong way.  After one more stop and inquiry, we finally made it to my destination.  I gave him 60 baht.  I can't remember what his final fare tallied--something around 100 baht?

Poor guy...probably from a a small northern village/town, driving his brother-in-law's beat-up Toyota, trying to make a few baht... and I stiffed him.

I've got some merit-making to do!

And I STILL have a 5-star rating... headed to the temple now...

Edited by Simbaya

Does anybody actually know what was the reason why UBER was finally allowed to operate in CM but not yet in other secondary Cities and tourist places? That would be really interesting to know, maybe some drivers know more about how this happened.

We wanna have it everywhere in Thailand, after all, don't we ?

2 hours ago, siam2007 said:

Does anybody actually know what was the reason why UBER was finally allowed to operate in CM but not yet in other secondary Cities and tourist places? That would be really interesting to know, maybe some drivers know more about how this happened.

We wanna have it everywhere in Thailand, after all, don't we ?

I am guessing that Uber are focusing on the largest markets with a combination of local and tourist demand. Presently in Thailand, they are in BKK, Phuket and Chiang Mai.

3 hours ago, Simbaya said:

The should have taken maybe 7 minutes, but we meandered for about 25 minutes: high spots of  the trip included the Night Market area, Pantip Plaza--even the approach to the Iron Bridge!

[…] checking his GPS and map.  I showed him my Google Map, gave him the address in Thai, and finally pulled out the old dog-eared Nancy Chandler in mild desperation...

Under “Your Trips” you can see your trip history with the route plotted on a map and a price breakdown.

Not trying to defend this guy, but addresses in Thailand are sadly not very useful, and it’s not uncommon to have drivers unable to read real maps, but someone unable to follow a GPS should probably not be a Uber driver…

I was once thrown out of a taxi in BKK because the driver did not know my destination, I tried to show him that I had a GPS, but he would have none of that heresy in his vehicle.

Ironically some of the locator maps that hotels and shops have can be rather confusing to someone used to real maps :)

Re: the discussion in this thread on "Do Uber drivers make decent money" this is an interesting and relevant thread from a USA Uber driver forum:

"So I have kind of wondered, how much can these companies lower driver pay rates? Where I live in the inland empire, the pay comes out to less than minimum wage, and sometimes worse. You can end up losing money.

How is this legal now, and whats stopping uber/lyft from paying even less? Where is the thresh hold where the drivers just stop driving all together?

What can drivers do to combat this financial atrophy?"

"You're right, it's easy to make less than minimum wage. Uber even promoted the idea with their recent $10/hour guarantees (after Uber takes 28%, you're left with $7.20/hour and that's before considering expenses!). But, how is it not legal? Minimum wage doesn't apply here because we're not paid by the hour.

As long as new drivers keep signing up to replace drivers who figured it out, Uber can set fares even lower and/or set their cut higher.

No surge? No drive."

http://uberpeople.net/threads/declining-pay-rates-how-much-can-uber-lyft-get-away-with.66956/

This is from last March - I haven't looked  at newer threads.

I just returned from Bali to Chiang Mai and used uber while I was there. Uber is brand new there as well and absolutely hated by the local taxi mafia. When I would request rides the drivers would text me and ask to meet in a remote alley way or somewhere no one would see the pickup and no phone in your hand.

I met a great uber driver who gave me his number after the ride and I used him direct for other rides during my trip. I called him up to give me a ride to the airport to return to Chiang Mai and he told me he could not because he was just physically attacked by taxi drivers and they smashed his windows and beat him up out of anger for being a uber driver and stealing their monopoly (Taxi Mafia is WAY worse in Bali than CM)

Has anyone heard other stories of hate or violence against uber drivers in CM? 

2 hours ago, Mendo said:

Taxi Mafia is WAY worse in Bali than CM […] Has anyone heard other stories of hate or violence against uber drivers in CM? 

I believe there are 3 different taxi companies operating in Chiang Mai, but you also have a lot of independent operators, tuk-tuks, and songthaews. The metered taxis seems to sit on a very very small part of the transportation business here, which is why it seems out of place to call them a mafia.

I think tuk-tuk drivers are the ones losing customers to Uber, not metered taxis. Most people would not know how to even get a metered taxi here.

To be honest, I don’t think most tuk-tuk drivers are really aware of Uber, and they do not seem to be organized or try to enforce certain prices, for example I have been at the night bazaar and asked the parked tuk-tuks about going to Maya for what I was willing to pay, and the first two passed on the trip, but the third one was willing to take me there, i.e. there are no fixed prices.