How do you define "nanny state"?

watcharacters

On 12/11/2016 at 11:54 AM, chiang mai said:

Nanny state, Thailand, rubbish! If you think you have more rights "back home" you should go there, alternatively think more seriously about the subject.

Woosh, that hit a raw nerve, and the usual apologist reply "go back home"

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, georgemandm said:

Rubbish , you are wrong ok thailand is a nanny state in it own way .

i do have rights back home not like here .

and I am going back home no problems you can have your thailand nanny state to your self.

no need to think seriously about the the truth thailand is a nanny state.

You have a choice whether to live here or not, if you don't like some aspects of "the rights issue" here, don't stay.

But you don't have too much of a choice about your home country, it's kinda difficult to change that. So if you want to compare rights for rights between the two countries or even the degree of "nanyness" that exists, try and tell us that your home country is squeaky clean whilst Thailand is not and I say go ho!

2 hours ago, brling said:

Woosh, that hit a raw nerve, and the usual apologist reply "go back home"

When you attack the poster rather than the issue, you've immediately lost any argument you may every have had.

Welcome to my ignore list!

Actually the define Nanny State topic has rolled as expected into "is Thailand more of a nanny state than your home country" :smile:

We like/love both places but the recent replies & questions seem to be in which place do you have more rights

That is a no brainer since we all often say we are only guests here in Thailand & have no rights then of course our home country

has more rights. If rights is the shield against nanny-ism then we have a logical answer

When we first moved to Thailand it was a real thrill & we like many others always said we felt more free.

After a few years of course we realized what we felt in Thailand was law less enforced...this can feel like freedom

Of course it can feel like freedom if your on the right side of it & alternately feel like hell if your

on the wronged side of it.

Lastly after 4+ years in Thailand & 2 years of the Junta/coup we moved home.

We have a pretty fresh view of both sides now & have to say for us it sure has changed on how we "see" things

Country with a gov that has too many rules and regs and constantly tells you 'what's best'. UK is right up there, but has taken it to the nth degree with unbearable PCness and trying not to offend anybody. It is puke-worthy and anyone who has lived away then gone back will vouch for the above. Thailand seems freer and easier but is going the same way... aside from the PC aspect.

You're so right mate.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/4/2016 at 9:19 AM, kannot said:

The  problem is theres  always an element of idiots  who take things too  far...............look at the driving for instance in Thailand, if  they  showed a bit more  care  attention and not me me me then rules  would never get employed............speeding is  one example, speeding is  not dangerous in the right conditions, I got  pulled  over in the UK at 3  am in the morning, middle  of Wales  clear  night not freezing dry road  no one  else for miles around totally  safe ...........70mph......................compare with  someone 8 am rush hour weaving in and  out doing 30mph wet road many people about etc etc

Rules get made due to idiots which then get forced onto the many sane people in society due to the few's  irresponsibility

Thanks for the reply.   Good points.

Have you considered that all laws are not necessarily directed at individual evil?     There are also business laws that protect society.    I kind of like the idea a product will do what the maker claims it'll do or that the water that comes out of the tap is OK to drink.     Would you consider that kind of protection   unwelcome?

Some years ago in my home state in the U.S. a farmer found a young and injured Whitetail Deer that had been caught in a deep snowdrrift and attacked by dogs while caught in the snow.

The animal was still alive but wounded by the dogs and neded care to keep it alive.

The farmer took the wounded deer back to his farm, called a vet to treat the animals wounds, and put the woundrd deer into a pen to recuperate from it's injuries.

The local Animal protection people founf out this deer was being penned up by the farmer to save it's life.

They had the local police come out to that farm and force the farmer to release the wounded deer back out into the woods.

The law said  it was illegal to hold a wild animal without a permit

A few days later that same deer was found dead.....it had been caught again by the wild dog pack in the woods and was killed by the pack as it's original wounds were not yet fully healed from the first attack.

This is a true story.

Now do you understand the term "Nanny State"

4 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Some years ago in my home state in the U.S. a farmer found a young and injured Whitetail Deer that had been caught in a deep snowdrrift and attacked by dogs while caught in the snow.

The animal was still alive but wounded by the dogs and neded care to keep it alive.

The farmer took the wounded deer back to his farm, called a vet to treat the animals wounds, and put the woundrd deer into a pen to recuperate from it's injuries.

The local Animal protection people founf out this deer was being penned up by the farmer to save it's life.

They had the local police come out to that farm and force the farmer to release the wounded deer back out into the woods.

The law said  it was illegal to hold a wild animal without a permit

A few days later that same deer was found dead.....it had been caught again by the wild dog pack in the woods and was killed by the pack as it's original wounds were not yet fully healed from the first attack.

This is a true story.

Now do you understand the term "Nanny State"

I'd have thought the example you give has little to do with the "Nanny State". The term comes from young children having Nannies who make decisions for them about their own welfare because they are deemed not to be capable of making their own decisions, and then keep reinforcing those decisions by constant reminders. The example you cite has to do with the protection of wild animals, who by definition do not have Nannies, and is merely an example of regulations not being particularly well thought out. A good example of the encroachment of the Nanny State in Thailand is not the regulation as such but the constant announcements you can hear all the time in every MRT station - "Eating drinking or smoking is not allowed ... " that remind people of the regulations.

One that takes care of the elderly, the physically infirm, the mentially deficient; basically me and you, when we're no longer productive members of society. I feel a lot more comfortable investing in such a society when I'm full of piss and vinegar, knowing that they'll take care of me when I'm <deleted>.

• 2 months later...
On 4.12.2016 at 8:20 AM, watcharacters said:

The term's been bandied about on  TV since I've been a member  but I've never really heard any kind  of definition for it.

So what do you think constitutes a nanny state?       Is it always a bad thing or  are there some positive attributes to it?   What is it?

A nanny state typically takes away freedoms and charges money from everyone in order to prevent or compensate for the irresponsible behavior of a few.

Examples:

- helmet law

- safety belt law

- ban on gambling

- tobacco laws

- speed limits on safe roads

- laws on business hours

- laws on minimum wages

- laws on enclosed swimming pools

+ all sorts of restrictive regulations

On 12/4/2016 at 9:55 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Try Australia:  in my opinion the government is unbearably overprotective and is always interfering with my personal choices, here in Thailand, I do what I want and no one bothers me, just the way I like it, my choice 555

Ever tried walking along the sidewalks in Bangkok for any length of time, these ignoramuses on motorbikes, also even in indoor markets you have to watch out for them. Stupid, stupid people.

But for the main part you are right, Thailand is a lot better to live in than the UK, and probably Australia too.

• 3 months later...
On 12/10/2016 at 6:18 AM, georgemandm said:

Speeding is speeding night or day .

rules are put in place to make the country a lot better, if we did not have rules people would just going around kille people 

bet u just love  rules , even when some common sense can over ride it with ease, then you gotta  define speeding , Speedo wont be accurate for starters so UK Police say 10% and +2mph so 68 in a 60 "used" to be ok, either way on an empty road in the  middle  of nowhere at 3 am dry surface straight road 70 it  was ( although likely it was  really 66mph), made a decision it was  safe dont need nanny to tell me otherwise on that one

On 3/28/2017 at 7:43 AM, possum1931 said:

Ever tried walking along the sidewalks in Bangkok for any length of time, these ignoramuses on motorbikes, also even in indoor markets you have to watch out for them. Stupid, stupid people.

But for the main part you are right, Thailand is a lot better to live in than the UK, and probably Australia too.

overall its more suitable for me "right now", that may change later, dont agree with a lot of Thai shenanigans  but I cant change it so that's that...............i can moan about it though

copied from the evil paper that Thailand doesnt want us to see

New speeding laws could mean a ban at just 32mph

by MICHAEL CLARKE

A stunning 'zero tolerance' policy on speeding was unveiled last night.

The dramatic crackdown could see bans for drivers who never exceed limits by more than 2mph.

To the horror of motoring organisations, Home Office Minister Bob Ainsworth said he wants to press ahead with a major revision of the tottingup procedure.

It could mean disqualification for being caught going just one mile an hour too fast on three occasions, 6mph too fast twice, or 16mph over the limit once.

The 'margin for error' in current police guidelines, to allow for inaccurate speedometers, would be scrapped.

The draconian plan was buried in a Home Office statement about longer jail sentences for drivers who kill.

Ministers are braced for a massive backlash and have promised to consult further over the details.

But campaign groups said tinkering with limits and fines would still leave a totally unacceptable scheme.

'This is completely the wrong approach - that if you stick to a number on the speedometer you are safe and if you go one mile over it you are a killer,' said Mark McArthur-Christie of the Association of British Drivers.

Kevin Delaney, of the RAC Foundation, said: 'These plans will lead to more people watching their speedometers instead of the road, and that will not increase safety.'

Critics pointed out that Britain already has the safest roads in Europe, even though the average speed on motorways is estimated at 85mph.

They said the plan would be another hammer blow for motorists already struggling to cope with thousands more speed cameras, soaring company car taxation, high fuel prices and the prospect of tolls to drive into London and other cities.

Under current laws, most drivers caught speeding get a £60 fixed-penalty ticket and three points on their licence.

Anyone reaching 12 points - or exceeding any limit by 30mph - can be banned for a period fixed by magistrates.

Police also generally overlook speeds below a level of the limit plus 10 per cent plus 2mph. That equates to 35mph in a 30 zone and 79mph on a motorway.

Under the new rules, the points limit will be 20, but more points will be imposed for each offence and the speeds involved will be far lower. There would also be a new £90 fine for faster drivers.

The Home Office wants the scheme phased in over two years. Mr Ainsworth presented the crackdown as part of a wider blitz on danger drivers.

The other measures include:

An increase in the maximum jail term for causing death by dangerous driving from 10 to 14 years;

Bigger fines for using a mobile phone while driving - under the existing law about proper control of a vehicle;

Tough, flexible community penalties' for some motorists convicted of speeding, careless or uninsured driving;

Possible higher penalties for drink-drive motorists caught with double the alcohol limit;

A 'weekend disqualification' system to let drivers use their cars for work.

Mr Ainsworth said: 'The message is clear - dangerous driving kills and those found guilty can expect to be severely punished. We are not interested in penalising the law-abiding motorists, the vast majority of drivers. The measures will affect only those who commit offences.'

The laws will be brought in as soon as Ministers can find Parliamentary time, possibly early next year.

Just now, CharlieH said:

Yes but with lots of rules comes lots of fines and more money. The usual cashcow the motorist. Just another stealth tax !!

I understand that a bike rider wants to feel the wind in his hair.... but I do not understand why I (taxpayer) should pay to glue his head together after an accident. Same for wearing seat belt etc. There are always 2 sides to freedom.

All comes from the American highly litigation system , where every sues for everything. All governments, local councils are that frightened of being sued for bugger all.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

nan-ny: n. 1. a caregiver employed to take care of children.

Now, people who don't behave like children (glances around) don't need a stupid government with stupid laws, but that's a little utopia fantasy you got there, isn't it?

Archived