ecu shop boostspeed pnp MI2

emelson

Hi, just bought a montero 2016 last month here in the philippines. Yesterday, I installed the ECU Shop boostspeed pnp MI2.

My friend says that it will damage the engine and that warrant will be void.

Can anyone enlighten me on this.

Appreciate for feedback please.

Thank you

15232319_1403960069644599_706477511462221374_n.jpg

If it changes the HP or Torque it will effect the engine. Google search reveals nothing, but your pic says smart accelerator throttle control. Does it add fuel ? Who knows without any more info. As far as warranty, many newer ECU from the major manufacturers will be able to detect if the engine has been operated outside the design parameters i.e. makes more HP than the factory ECU provides. Right there is a dead giveaway - and bye-bye warranty is possible. UP 2 U

It should not affect the engine inasmuch as causing damage; there's probably thousands of these in use on all makes and models. However, even after removal, a dealership technician can interrogate the on-board computer on newer cars and tell if something has been added/removed. Normally they don't check this on services but if an owner brought a car in for a repair that would normally come under warranty, the dealership would do an interrogation and could charge for the repairs on the basis that a non-approved modification had been carried out thus invalidating any warranty.

1 hour ago, emelson said:

Yes it can be easily removed.

Does it affects the engine?

You can ask whoever fitted it. The engine should run back in the stock settings after it is removed. Having said that, its best to check, as I don't know this boost speed product. Was the car ever put on a dyno after it was fitted? Was there any tuning involved?

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

If it changes the HP or Torque it will effect the engine. Google search reveals nothing, but your pic says smart accelerator throttle control. Does it add fuel ? Who knows without any more info. As far as warranty, many newer ECU from the major manufacturers will be able to detect if the engine has been operated outside the design parameters i.e. makes more HP than the factory ECU provides. Right there is a dead giveaway - and bye-bye warranty is possible. UP 2 U

Yes - it might even throw a fault code or retain the parameters....They could chose to void your powertrain warranty (have seen it done) especially if some oddball problem shows up.....I have seen a US manufacturer not warranty a transmission repair because they had one of those coffin shaped carriers on the roof.....They can be sticky about modifications - even if they seem minor.....

1 hour ago, transam said:
1 hour ago, JaseTheBass said:

All modern engines are very understressed so its unlikely to damage it.

Really, so why do many engines have to use synthetic oil...?

For 2 reasons, 

1. Synthetic oil properties offer far less resistance in the drive train components and no foaming
  2. Due to engine manufacturers using such precision tight tolerances on rod, cam and crankshafts bearing surfaces the synthetic oil can run down to zero weight and retain is viscosity where as standard detergent oils cannot hold up. Detergent oils are a thing of the past like VHS and CD's are to the music world.

Of course there are quite a few more reasons those are the 2 basic ones,

To JasetheBass point, He is absolutely right. Precision machining and ECM and TCM controls allow them to under utilize the true potential of the engine. This is why many companies can have a new platform release and 3 years later change nothing but  yet still increase HP and TQ on the same engine. All they did was reprogram the ECM to add timing, fuel and boost (if the vehicle is equipped with a turbo or supercharger). They design and build engines with a 2- 3 year outlook. Saves them money. Imagine how they can add 20 HP to a previous years model and sell it big and all they did was change a few AF/MAF ratio's. 

To the OP's question. They will find any way to void any warranty if they can (usually). This is a big scare tactic used my companies. They don't want people to know there is more in it.  Some programmers are put in front of the factory ECM and thus removing them will likely not show anything. Of course anything after will be recorded, especially if you throw a code.

Honestly adding it will likely not do any damage. Its not a radical change by any means. The mfr has a liability as well. It would be bad business if they are a long standing company and have people blowing up their junk with their programmer. I have used many from various companies successfully with no issues. Add it and have fun, it has safety features built in. 

6 minutes ago, JAFO said:

For 2 reasons, 

1. Synthetic oil properties offer far less resistance in the drive train components and no foaming
  2. Due to engine manufacturers using such precision tight tolerances on rod, cam and crankshafts bearing surfaces the synthetic oil can run down to zero weight and retain is viscosity where as standard detergent oils cannot hold up. Detergent oils are a thing of the past like VHS and CD's are to the music world.

To JasetheBass point, He is absolutely right. Precision machining and ECM and TCM controls allow them to under utilize the true potential of the engine. This is why many companies can have a new platform release and 3 years later change nothing but  yet still increase HP and TQ on the same engine. All they did was reprogram the ECM to add timing, fuel and boost (if the vehicle is equipped with a turbo or supercharger). They design and build engines with a 2- 3 year outlook. Saves them money. Imagine how they can add 20 HP to a previous years model and sell it big and all they did was change a few AF/MAF ratio's. 

To the OP's question. They will find any way to void any warranty if they can (usually). This is a big scare tactic used my companies. They don't want people to know there is more in it.  Some programmers are put in front of the factory ECM and thus removing them will likely not show anything. Of course anything after will be recorded, especially if you throw a code.

Honestly adding it will likely not do any damage. Its not a radical change by any means. The mfr has a liability as well. It would be bad business if they are a long standing company and have people blowing up their junk with their programmer. I have used many from various companies successfully with no issues. Add it and have fun, it has safety features built in. 

Why have some rides hp/tq been reduced if fitted with an auto trans....?

Emissions most likely to meet standards to sell them.The shift points are adjusted and this will most definitely take down HP/TQ. Then folks like us go by programmers to put it all back. Like I did on my Revo. They preset the boost to limit to appx 8 lbs from what I can tell. Add a bit more fuel and 2 or 3 lbs of boost and you have another 25HP with virtually no risk to the engine. However now it will not pass emissions standards (If the area or country even checks). With a programmer its cool, just yank it out and drive around for a bit of time and it clears itself.

I have been considering getting the new Subaru WRX here. Man you can make those little turbo motors sing. I tuned some in the US. They have a TON of room. That motor is significantly under utilized. 

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

For 2 reasons, 

Thank you so much sir. Very informative indeed, :)

On 12/6/2016 at 3:29 PM, transam said:

Toyota use asean boxes, Volvo did too............:coffee1:

Yep lots of manufacturers use Aisin gearboxes.  

If the transmission (Aisin or otherwise) rating is less than the engine output, either a more expensive gearbox is needed or the engine is detuned.  Detuning is often cheaper.  4WD and trucks etc with low reduction gearing sometimes limit engine torque to protect driveline components as well.   Very easy to do with modern electronically controlled engines.  

On 06/12/2016 at 11:55 AM, emelson said:

Does it affects the engine?

No, it doesn't, it will affect your wallet more than the engine or performance.

All the device does is, allegedly, alter the response of an electronic (drive by wire) accelerator, it doesn't give more power, torque or performance, it can't.  It seems to be a copy of an APEXi product that plugs into the throttle harness at the pedal.

If you think that it will give your vehicle the performance of The ECU Shop's drag vehicles (7.7 seconds and 290kph 1/4 mile time, or thereabouts) shown on Facebook you may be a little disappointed.

Edited by gdgbb