Sessions Around Bangkok

Nick0828

I am an experienced angler who has recently moved to Bangkok. My experience is moslty in specimen carp angling, fly fishing, and lure fishing for bass. I have found it difficult to get into the fishing scene here as all the species are new to me and the techniques seem different to what I am used to. 

I am looking for anyone who has more experience fishing in Thailand that will allow me to join them for a session. Internet research can only get one so far, I have always found that fishing with someone who knows what they are doing is the best way to learn. 

If anyone is willing to let me join them on a session or even just have a chat and give me some advice, please do not hesitate to respond.

My advice-

First trip, head over to Bungsamran and wander out on the pier and watch and chat with the guys.  It's usually a friendly bunch on the pier (with private parties in the bungalows).  Bring your Work Permit it you want the 400-500 baht local price.  Otherwise it's 2,500 baht to fish.  Free to just wander around.  What you learn wandering around will serve you if and when you branch out into the cheaper venues with the same monster catfish and carp species..

2nd Trip: Head over to Pilot 111 for some lure fishing.  500 baht for foreigners or locals.  Same deal.  Chat with the guys in the open air restaurant, then wander around and watch.  If it's still open and you can spare 2500 baht, try the private side of Pilot 111.  Your arms will hurt by lunchtime from fighting fish.

My favorite websites (Maps to the venues and lots more info):

http://www.john-tom.com/FishingInThailand/FishingInThailand.html

http://bangkokhooker-fishing.com/

Forget wild fishing unless you have a local connection, and be skeptical even if you do.  There are no game laws and most wild fish have been eaten.  (Unless you have the juevos to fish in front of the temples on the Chao Phraya.  I'm not that brave.)

You'll generally have better luck meeting potential fishing buddies on the lakes than online here.  Lots of us have crazy work schedules with not much ability to plan free time in advance.  And you'll find that some of us are just plain anti-social.

Best of luck

Thanks for the response, I appreciate the advice! I guess the best way to make connections and learn the best methods is to get out to the venues. I am not a fan of pond fishing but I suppose one has to start somewhere. 

Do you know of any venues where you can get away with using lighter tackle to target fish like Julian's golden carp? All this tow ropes and broom sticks fishing gets boring after a while.  

I am also interested in catching baramundi but not sure what setup to get. I am looking at a baitcasting rod, around 6' to 6'5", medium action. Do you think that would be sufficient?

40 minutes ago, Nick0828 said:

I am not a fan of pond fishing but I suppose one has to start somewhere. 

Do you know of any venues where you can get away with using lighter tackle to target fish like Julian's golden carp? All this tow ropes and broom sticks fishing gets boring after a while.  

I am also interested in catching baramundi but not sure what setup to get. I am looking at a baitcasting rod, around 6' to 6'5", medium action. Do you think that would be sufficient?

To your disdain for pond fishing, all I can say is that it kind of grows on you.  Contrary to what some guys will tell you, the fish have seen every lure in existence and they're not that stupid.  (Unless you follow the guy around who's feeding them- then they're pretty much suicidal.  We resort to that tactic when we bring kids to fish)

I like Pilot 111 for the variety of fish.  Anywhere from 1 pound tilapia and pacu to 10 pound snakeheads and barramundi, to a pond full of mekong cats in the 50 kg range.  Also redtail catfish and others, mostly segregated by pond.

I use standard USA bass fishing tackle on the barras.  Also fly rods from 3 weight (that's fun) to 8 weight.  Anything heavier is overkill and casting 9+ weights wears my old fart arms out long before the end of the day.  6 weight is about ideal, but count on playing the fish and not horsing them in.

Thanks again for the advice! I am going to Ngao nam on saturday afternoon. I have been there once before and had some success. I am really interested in targeting Julian's golden carp using lighter tackle but cant seem to find much info. Also, I am a bit worried I hook into a big cat while using lighter tackle.

Archived