Randomly interrogated by foreigner & Thai officer, is this normal?

This is kind of the question: what was first, the egg or the henn ?

What is the best rule of conduct? be it here in Thailand or elsewhere ?

Yes, we would all like to be treated politely and with respect...  But in reality? Youtube is full off video's of negative encounters isn't it ? ( not to mention the kill ratio from people who try to get there rights enforced vs a cop with a bad day )

Since it is most of the time not obvious why we are stopped, or questioned, the best approach is, IMHO, be polite, comply respectful, ask question later on, then complain when something went wrong. ( in that order ) Coz, in advance , you did not know the reason, so why should you not comply?

Yes, at a police stop/ checkpoint its mostly clear why you are stopped.

Even at a random check, most of the time, the police officer or who ever in charge, will be willing to answer your respectful behavior with good conduct.

In any case, stay calm, no discussion and in event that things turn to be abnormal, ask firm and polite to see a senior officer.

This rules of conduct do apply not only in Thailand...

be polite, comply, respectful complain

There have been many good replies to this, I would suggest another good reason to request to see the 'policeman's' id is to buy a little time in what is a confronting situation. It shifts the power balance just a nudge in your direction.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, impulse said:

So I guess very few of you guys would feel any remorse at all if they were looking for a bomber or a rapist and you wasted their time by not cooperating?

Is it that onerous to pull out some ID so they can do their job? 

moronic  post. 

Is it that onerous for  THEM to pull out some ID ?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DKNY77 said:

moronic  post. 

Is it that onerous for  THEM to pull out some ID ?

Not onerous at all for them to pull out some ID.

But I think it's stupid to believe they wouldn't have thought of stopping by Kao San Road and getting fake ID if they were actually running some kind of a scam.

Edited by impulse

6 hours ago, kannot said:

Fake  police would  not go to a police station, so do they have th e authority to examine my id, foreigners working for the police with no work permit is  still no work permit, Id  grass em up no problem to immigration, probably go nowhere but so what

...but how would you know if a foreigner working for the (let's assume real) police had a work permit so you could "grass 'im up"?  He would have no obligation to show it to you, would he?

I was at one of the government sponsored "return happiness to the people" concerts here at NongKhai with my wife and was approached by three officers in plain clothes, one was wearing a badge on a neck lanyard. They didn't ask me for I.D. but did record my name and even took a picture of me with a tablet before they left.

They asked where I worked (I don't) and where I live and how long I have been here. I thought it strange as I had been here many years and never run into anything like that, but it didn't really bother me. I did like that they were nice and polite and I didn't feel in anyway threatened.

So now! Some strange foreigner and a thai man have a copy of all your personal information to be used for making a duplicate ID and any other document they choose Since you didn't ask for any of their ID and didnt think it was odd for the immigration man to be in just any kind of uniform. You will really never know who those people were or what their intentions were. Until it is too late...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Yep, that is a very valid point; I know for sure I wouldn't be able to tell if the ID was fake or not.

The only reason some foreigners on here are recommending requesting to see ID is because it gives them a sense of being in control in a situation where they have no control. At the end of the day, the guys holding the guns are in charge, fake police or genuine. It would be more risky to upset a fake policeman than a real one.

Fake police are usually casing out businesses looking for loot, not accosting lone foreigners eating at street carts, a place where you'll not usually find affluent people worth robbing.

Edited by tropo

once i met a german cop in civilian clothe...he try to question me but i asked him what  he is about and i think he showed me his id ....after all it was a nice talk mostly me enquiring into his type of work...yes foreign police not uncommon in los

14 hours ago, gdgbb said:

"...how many stories of the been on this forum about impersonation of police officers?"

It's not common as you seem to be suggesting, I can recall one, how many do you have links to?

What's living in Germany (East Berlin [sic]) got to do with it?

" It's not common as you seem to be suggesting "

Thailand’s fake police

There are in fact laws on the books concerning impersonating a police officer, but when two senior police officers were asked in what circumstances an imposter should be arrested, there was some disagreement.

They differed in opinion on whether a person who is not a police officer but appears in public wearing a cap or jacket with the Royal Thai Police insignia should be arrested. One policeman said that he would be breaking the law and should be arrested and charged. The other said that making an arrest would depend on whether the person was giving an impression to the public that he/she was a police officer.

However, they agreed that if someone approaches a citizen or foreigner wearing clothes with police insignia and badge and introduces himself as a police or other official, then threatens, intimidates or demands money, they should definitely be arrested.

http://www.thebigchilli.com/features/thailands-fake-police

20 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

but how do you know they were bone fide? how many stories of the been on this forum about impersonation of police officers?

and if they were genuine are we suddenly living in East Berlin?

There is no East Berlin any more.

3 hours ago, tropo said:

I'd love to know what the heroes on here would do if they determined that the policeman (along with foreigner and extra Thai assistant) were fake, after examining their fake ID.

I would suggest that fake guys with nefarious intentions would not be the type of people to upset on a Bangkok street.

If they are genuine police, questioning their authority could also turn out badly for the foreigner as many don't love foreigners (or even like them :sad:) and are looking for reasons to rattle them.

There are a lot of keyboard tough guys here giving advice who would probably not be so tough out on the street in the OP's situation.

Maybe some people think that it's more important to have balls than big muscles ?

Fortunately this does not happen too often....

If it did, then many people would be legitimately concerned.

There would be or could be too many police looking to make some extortion money, somehow, someway when given the authority to question foreigners at random.

I have never felt that Thailand is a threatening type of police state, at least not  to any obvious degree but it could easily turn into one seeing as how the government in Thailand has always been in control of the military while they have a whole lot of guns that give them a whole lot of iron handed authority if they decided to do so.

Lets hope that never happens to that extent.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

10 hours ago, BlindMagician said:

Record the conversation.

Ask them why?

Ask for their ID first, and copy the info plus take photos.

Tell them you will follow up by checking with their station.

Then show them your ID.

Maybe they want to stop somewhere along this process.

If they are legit, they won't object.

Now that I remember, the neighbour whom acted as my witness when the immigration officers came to my house for interview; took their all their photos and photos of their IDs and all documents that she had to sign. The immigration officers were ok with it.

It was just to protect herself. when in rome do as the romans do. When in Thailand do as the Thais do. 

Even if their IDs are fake, let's say 1 fine day the police officers suspect you of something related to your ID, at least you took pics of their IDs and photos of them (nevermind the fake names cos at least u got their pictures) as proof of this encounter that your ID and photo was taken on for questioning by some immigration officers.

Nevermind what the others say its a waste of time cos they might have fake IDs. If u have to go to the police station, go in your own or the transport of your choice. let them follow.save the number of the police station of your neighbourhood in your hp. Waste of time, nevermind.. better than getting yourself into real trouble and waste even more time behind bars or getting kidnapped. I don't mind doing something or going the extra mile to keep myself and my family safe. YOu can never be too careful or confident even in your own country.  I am not asking you to be paranoid.

Just take care of yourself.

Edited by Moonmoon
  • Like 1

Last year, when I had to renew my student visa, I arrived at the office alone in the Pathum office, there was only one female officer, she asked me to wait, a policeman are  coming the office, I was questioned by this policeman in the waiting room.
First : He really did not look like a Thai.

What i do there?

What is my job?

Why i like Thailand?

I'm learning Thai in Only Thai School.

He spoke perfect English.

My father-in-law, Thai, who was parked then entered, he was not unable to speak with the Thai police,

It looked like his native language was English (Policeman).

The Policeman was wearing a police uniform with Pathum writed

He asked me a lot of question and even why I was wearing a bracelet and a Buddhist pendant.

Before, I sat in front of the officer's office, but there we stayed in the waiting room, he made me write the papers, went several times behind the counter, Spoke with the female officer who was the only one present in the office in thai (a little bit).

So he was can not a false officer, he knew the office very well and found the right stamps perfectly In the drawers but he had to be on duty,

I think Thailand is starting to suffer from children born of Farang immigration.

Edited by Love66

On 12/7/2016 at 7:33 PM, Asiantravel said:

" they took some photos of my drivers license and then left "

in this day and age when identity theft is such a huge problem I probably would have been considerably more guarded towards this trio (without knowing who they where exactly and because of the foreigners dubious appearance)and I certainly wouldn't have volunteered to hand over my ID there and then.

I think I would have insisted that if they wanted to question me they would have to make an appointment for me to attend their office and I should have the right to have my lawyer present.

That would work well back home but I think here they may just take you to the station and give you a couple free days room and board.

So I guess very few of you guys would feel any remorse at all if they were looking for a bomber or a rapist and you wasted their time by not cooperating?

Because all the evidence in this thread suggests they were con artists or if genuine weren't on the level.