Political parties draft law sets stringent conditions

webfact

Political parties draft law sets stringent conditions
By KASAMAKORN CHANWANPEN 
THE NATION

7325e7e49d47399bcaaf6defd0a99013.jpeg

CDC proposes a laundry list of requirements, which will apply to existing parties, including membership fees, decentralisation and ‘compulsory activities’ for members

THE CONSTITUTION Drafting Commission (CDC) yesterday introduced the draft of a new organic law on political parties, saying it was sparing existing parties but setting more stringent conditions for the founding of new parties. 

Existing parties will not be dissolved as speculated by some political figures, but they will have to follow new rules, such as charging membership fees and finding members that meet the requirements set in the law, CDC spokesperson Udom Rathamarit said.

The organic law was made available to the public for the first time yesterday and is the first of 10 organic laws the CDC has to write. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30301635

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-08

Wow. How can anyone support this...

Coupled with the imminent arrest of BBC personnel, the whip is really coming down.

Oh, BBC, get your folks out of there, and NOW...

BTW, what the devil is an "organic" law...is it different from an inorganic law.

Edited by Living in a cartoon
added text

I suspect there is are some translation problems re 'organic law'. Generally organic laws refer to foundation or constitutional laws.  This is problematic in Thailand re constitution and as such you may find that the reference here is parties without a significant base or platform from which to canvas or campaign upon. 

In any event, this was released a week ago and has acheived 94 views to date: 

http://thainews.prd.go.th/website_en/news/news_detail/WNPOL5912010010002

So a new political party must have 500 members to begin with, before it can put itself forward as a legitimate political party?!
Again I ask: how much more all-controlling, constricting NONSENSE will the Thai people take?

Yes i never ever seen such a restricting condition anywhere. This is the worst ever. Imagine having to have 500 members to start a political party. The sheer horror of it.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Imagine having to have 500 members to start a political party.

Wasn't there also proposed legislation by the CDC that all political parties (including pre-existing parties) must also be self-funding, ie., only by its members who might be limited as to how much they can donate? By keeping political parties underfunded, it would be difficult to organize a party platform and reach voters. The result would be a disorganized and weak political system that would be largely dominated by an appointed royalist Senate.

1 hour ago, Srikcir said:

Wasn't there also proposed legislation by the CDC that all political parties (including pre-existing parties) must also be self-funding, ie., only by its members who might be limited as to how much they can donate? By keeping political parties underfunded, it would be difficult to organize a party platform and reach voters. The result would be a disorganized and weak political system that would be largely dominated by an appointed royalist Senate.

Which was the plan all along.

4 hours ago, Eligius said:

So a new political party must have 500 members to begin with, before it can put itself forward as a legitimate political party?!

Again I ask: how much more all-controlling, constricting NONSENSE will the Thai people take?

Might it be that they have simply given up?

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes i never ever seen such a restricting condition anywhere. This is the worst ever. Imagine having to have 500 members to start a political party. The sheer horror of it.

Any idea if an independent candidate associated with no political party is allowed to stand?

We seen that letting parties get funded by criminals on the run is not a good thing. So putting some restrictions on where the funding comes from seems fair.

But cant a YL for instance be a member of the party and donate ? Or are those in charge not members ?

Cant really comment on what your saying without knowing more.

50 minutes ago, baboon said:

Name one political party funded by anyone on the run.

Perhaps the PPP that was or the PTP that is/was/might be again, could be one.

Edited by billd766
Bad spelling and punctuation

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

PTP is lead and funded by Thaksin. If this was not there is no way he could be in charge.

Anyway you knew who i was talking about so you probably dont agree.

He isn't on the run.

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Oh.. i would say he is with court cases against him. If not on the run he would be in a Thai jail.

Maybe a different definition of on the run.

Just semantics. But ok you probably know best as a native speaker

To be on the run, you need to actually be chased  He isn't, therefore he isn't on the run. Sounds good, though.

35 minutes ago, robblok said:

Oh.. i would say he is with court cases against him. If not on the run he would be in a Thai jail.

Maybe a different definition of on the run.

Just semantics. But ok you probably know best as a native speaker

Don't see as a runner too. He is living in Dubai with a registered address and all his businesses have registered addressess too. He is not running but rather waiting. The chasers have no extraterritorial jurisdiction and wouldnt be in Thai jail for the unforseeable future. 

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Are you saying there are no arrest warrants out for him ?

I am saying nobody is lifting a finger to serve any arrest warrants. It's not even as though he is difficult to find.

Just now, robblok said:

I think its pointless because there is no extradition treaty. Would you do something that is pointless.

So he isn't being chased and therefore isn't on the run.

You might want to tell Michael Bryan Smith an extradition request between Thailand and the UAE is pointless...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/taiwan/7264827/Briton-to-be-extradited-from-Thailand-to-Dubai.html

55 minutes ago, jerojero said:

So much for future government having any resemblance of democratic representation.

There is no shred of democracy or even glimmer of future democracy remaining in Thailand now. It's game over. THERE IS NO WAY OUT.

Except one. 

But I do not advocate that.

29 minutes ago, Eligius said:

There is no shred of democracy or even glimmer of future democracy remaining in Thailand now. It's game over. THERE IS NO WAY OUT.

Except one. 

But I do not advocate that.

Standby for the ' if you don't like it then leave ' responses !

Standby for the ' if you don't like it then leave ' responses !

No not from me but the Thais dont mind enough given how they voted on the constitution and the whole thing does not really affect us expats anyway. Besides giving us cause to verbally spar a bit on this forum.