Only 10 parties will survive new rules: Somchai

webfact

Only 10 parties will survive new rules: Somchai
By THE NATION

som.jpg

EC member predicts political cull after organic law adopted.

BANGKOK: -- ONLY 10 political parties will exist within four years after the new organic law on political parties goes into effect, Election Commissioner Somchai Srisutthiyakorn predicted yesterday.

His assessment was based on new rules in the draft law that sets new stipulations on funding and requires a larger number of members for a party’s survival.

The Constitution Drafting Commission (CDC) introduced the draft to the public for the first time on Wednesday. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30301741

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-12-09

Surely, a classic example of abuse of power (making controversial statements deliberately designed to influence the democratic process) ???

Interestingly, while Election Commissioner Srisutthiyakorn "predicts" only 10 political parties will exist within four years, the shrivelled-up little weasel Meechai seems to contradict this, saying "...the law would not restrict people’s right to set up a party or destroy small parties as claimed. In contrast,...it would encourage new parties being established..." !!!

Regardless of what either Srisutthiyakorn or Meechai may say, I suggest a much safer (and far less controversial) "prediction" will be that the only governments the junta is likely to accept will be made up of weak coalitions of minor parties all pushing their own agendas.

Significant, in the make-up of these coalitions will be an absence of red and yellow, and a preponderance of shades of green.

Thai_army_camo.jpg

43 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Let's get rid of all the BS and form a one party state like best friend China.

Now which party would be best suited to be the ONE, maybe it hasn't actually been formed yet.  :whistling:

Spot on! I think many of us are sick to the back teeth of all the lies, cant, hypocrisy, dissimulation and pretence.

For God's sake - let them have a bit of genuine courage for once (as if!) and declare outright: 'You now live in a one-party state: OUR party - not yours!'

Spot on! I think many of us are sick to the back teeth of all the lies, cant, hypocrisy, dissimulation and pretence.

For God's sake - let them have a bit of genuine courage for once (as if!) and declare outright: 'You now live in a one-party state: OUR party - not yours!'

I thought China's party was the communist party not the fascist party. No this won't work here. Ban all polictical parties and go full Richard Potatoe.

One of the parties that will be hit is the PT.

The argument being that you can not be run or directed by a felon or anyone not a member of the party.  Nor can one person fund the party.

There is still the opportunity for new parties the thing that will stop is these one person parties that exist.  If you are going to be an independent then be independent don ot call yourself a party.

Last time I had a party by myself it was kind of boring anyway  :post-4641-1156694572:

It's important to allow new parties, but small parties are just a sideshow. The only system that works is when there are two main parties (left, right) that overlap enough so that government oscillates periodically between them.

That only takes a few centuries of social organisation and development. I won't hold my breath.

1 hour ago, JAG said:

I wonder how many more weights they can put on the lid of the pressure cooker before something goes pop?

They do seem determined to find out don't they?

I don't suppose they have much choice now they have thrown in their lot with the heavy handed approach. Where actually can they go from here? They can't exactly call it a big misunderstanding...

As long as the parties cannot  buy  the  peoples vote, maybe democracy can  actually get started.

I do hope that the people of Thailand realize  that the billionaires, are  rich already  and like to stay

that way. Do not be swayed  by a certain amount of baht  and think that  they must be nice  honest

people  if they give you baht to vote for them.

Of  course it is likely that not a lot of Thais read  this site, or  any of us foreigners  squaking

as well.

Geezer

7 hours ago, NongKhaiKid said:

Let's get rid of all the BS and form a one party state like best friend China.

Now which party would be best suited to be the ONE, maybe it hasn't actually been formed yet.  :whistling:

Its well past the embryo stage. Its 4 years old. Its the big kid on the block ready to clean your clock but in a condescending manner. It the fist in the velvet glove approach. 

Just now, elgordo38 said:

Its well past the embryo stage. Its 4 years old. Its the big kid on the block ready to clean your clock but in a condescending manner. It the fist in the velvet glove approach. 

Not sure about the velvet glove aspect so much.

Just now, NongKhaiKid said:

Not sure about the velvet glove aspect so much.

In reality me neither but we want to preserve a modem of decorum in a world of hyper absurdity. I like those pictures of the progression of man. Sometimes I think now it has reversed itself. Where did we come from anyways? Adam and Eve and the Apple or did we crawl out of the ocean 

madmitch is right to raise the issue of independent candidates - there should be a place for them. But culling the tiny single-issue parties raises the question of rights as opposed to the current confusing clutter at the polls. It would seem logical to provide sensible (??-- well, you know what I mean :) ) party selection along with independent candidates.

Unless they are entertaining like the Monster Raving Loony Party, or NZ's equivalent, the Labour Party. :smile:

4 hours ago, madmitch said:

Are independent candidates precluded form standing in Thailand?

10 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

madmitch is right to raise the issue of independent candidates - there should be a place for them. But culling the tiny single-issue parties raises the question of rights as opposed to the current confusing clutter at the polls. It would seem logical to provide sensible (??-- well, you know what I mean :) ) party selection along with independent candidates.

Unless they are entertaining like the Monster Raving Loony Party, or NZ's equivalent, the Labour Party. :smile:

As I see it, Independent Candidates will find it almost impossible to contest elections (unless they are nationally-popular identities).

According to The Nation article, Somchai said, "...the requirement for parties to have a branch in all four regions of the country within four years after the law goes into effect, would make it difficult for parties to survive..."

19 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

Easy bro. We might soon all be exposed to the unnatural selection process. It will be the fat old farts first. Pass the Soylent. 

8 hours ago, waldroj said:

all pushing their own agendas

Only as an afterthought.

NCPO's 20-year reform agenda backed by the NCPO/military controlled Senate will prevail in any elected government's agenda. Especially with the first elected government following Prayut's regime wherein the PM's agenda will be a factor in his endorsement by the Senate and his cabinet nominations that must be approved personally by Prayut.

On 9 December 2016 at 9:12 AM, JAG said:

I wonder how many more weights they can put on the lid of the pressure cooker before something goes pop?

They do seem determined to find out don't they?

They have the big guns and only apathy to contend with, these guys are going to do a Myanmar of 40 years ago.