KLM. How Are They?

NoshowJones

I am probably not being very helpful here when I say last time I flew with them, it was a seat like any other on a plane like any other (777) and the food wasn't all that good or bad.

Would I use them again? Certainly, but there would be others I would prefer.

Edit: I thought their premium economy was complete cack for the extra money they wanted. Don't be tempted to upgrade. If you have a few quid burning a hole in your pocket, pay for an emergency exit row instead.

Edited by baboon

4 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

I use KLM regularly. Good service for the price, and the transfers in Amsterdam are easy. Do not use Air France.

Never used them personally, but what did you not like about them, if I can go off topic a little?

I use KLM every time because of handy connections to UK.  Emergency row seats if you have really long legs, but the extra cost is a lot. The extra legroom in Tourist-Plus (or whatever it's called) is not much, but might work for you.   Everyone claims to be tall, but the crucial factor is length of your thigh. ;) Food is ok and edible,  service is no-frills, no-nonsense and works (for me).   Amsterdam is big but well enough sign-posted and terminal staff everywhere are happy and helpful - even the police!  Security is thorough and polite.

FWIW -- I had a through KLM ticket UK - AMS - BKK and we were fogged in in UK in the morning.  Not only did they go flat-out to make up the time, but they held the outgoing flight to Bkk for me.  Can't fault them really - for an economy seat.

Be careful when booking KLM as they code-share with AirFrance who I did not like. Snobby staff and poor food,,  and Paris CDG airport is a nightmare.

Edited by jpinx

Flew to the UK on KLM this year, did the trip out with a mate (and he took this funny  photo of me asleep, hopefully will give an idea of how the seat looks). We checked in early and managed to get a bulkhead seats and I sat on the aisle which helped, as I have long legs, I am fairly slim but the seat itself was comfortable enough for econamy. Average really, managed to sleep about 6 hours with some xanex. The flight I selected had a second leg to London City on a tiny cityjet plane, super cramped and uncomfortable but only a short hop so not a problem. If you are doing your last leg to London city like I did, the cabin bag size is much more restricted so bear that in mind.

Came back on Airfrance alone, from Heathrow via Paris, on the way back I paid for an emergency exit seat. The seat was less comfortable than the KLM seat and the TV did not work, but I thought the food was nicer. It was a packed flight. Also managed to sleep for over half the flight thanks to Xanex.

Airfrance/KLM have some good deals when booking from LOS, was all OK for doing the trip on a budget, I sometimes use Elite class (premium class) on EVA and it does make the trip a more more pleasent experance.

1466880129208.jpg

Edited by jay1980

2 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Transfers in Charles de Gaulle Airport are a nightmare. The airport is huge and difficult to navigate.

AirFrance

Used CDG only once: from touchdown to entering gate about 1h !!! (or more).

Endless taxiing. Thought it was a country outing.

Instead of walking through fingers we entered some lift truck to move us 50m (?) to the gate entrance. Waste of time.

Walking through the airport like a cross-country excursion (up and down and up and down).

Silly.

When leaving in Berlin we were treated extremely rude/arrogant at the check-in for having 2 kg over the 20 kg limit.

I have sworn not to use them except for escape from civil war on last flight :biggrin:

KLM

A no thrills, no problems experience in a 747.

They were cheap but a huge detour to get to Berlin.

I hate 12h nonstops.

Customs in Amsterdam was pedantic.

Checked the seal on my VHS cam for some "European" sign.

It had. Not bought in Bangkok!

No, we don't have gold!

The experience is very old (10 yr or so).

No idea whether things have improved/changed.

5 hours ago, baboon said:

I am probably not being very helpful here when I say last time I flew with them, it was a seat like any other on a plane like any other (777) and the food wasn't all that good or bad.

Would I use them again? Certainly, but there would be others I would prefer.

Edit: I thought their premium economy was complete cack for the extra money they wanted. Don't be tempted to upgrade. If you have a few quid burning a hole in your pocket, pay for an emergency exit row instead.

"pay for an emergency exit row instead".   I take it you mean book one online? I will try that, but with BA only a few months ago I was only allowed to book 24 hrs beforehand, and there was none left. I will see what KLMs policy is regarding this. Thanks.

4 hours ago, jpinx said:

I use KLM every time because of handy connections to UK.  Emergency row seats if you have really long legs, but the extra cost is a lot. The extra legroom in Tourist-Plus (or whatever it's called) is not much, but might work for you.   Everyone claims to be tall, but the crucial factor is length of your thigh. ;) Food is ok and edible,  service is no-frills, no-nonsense and works (for me).   Amsterdam is big but well enough sign-posted and terminal staff everywhere are happy and helpful - even the police!  Security is thorough and polite.

FWIW -- I had a through KLM ticket UK - AMS - BKK and we were fogged in in UK in the morning.  Not only did they go flat-out to make up the time, but they held the outgoing flight to Bkk for me.  Can't fault them really - for an economy seat.

Be careful when booking KLM as they code-share with AirFrance who I did not like. Snobby staff and poor food,,  and Paris CDG airport is a nightmare.

Yes, thats two posters who have said that, I will make sure not to use air France n the future.

3 hours ago, jay1980 said:

Flew to the UK on KLM this year, did the trip out with a mate (and he took this funny  photo of me asleep, hopefully will give an idea of how the seat looks). We checked in early and managed to get a bulkhead seats and I sat on the aisle which helped, as I have long legs, I am fairly slim but the seat itself was comfortable enough for econamy. Average really, managed to sleep about 6 hours with some xanex. The flight I selected had a second leg to London City on a tiny cityjet plane, super cramped and uncomfortable but only a short hop so not a problem. If you are doing your last leg to London city like I did, the cabin bag size is much more restricted so bear that in mind.

Came back on Airfrance alone, from Heathrow via Paris, on the way back I paid for an emergency exit seat. The seat was less comfortable than the KLM seat and the TV did not work, but I thought the food was nicer. It was a packed flight. Also managed to sleep for over half the flight thanks to Xanex.

Airfrance/KLM have some good deals when booking from LOS, was all OK for doing the trip on a budget, I sometimes use Elite class (premium class) on EVA and it does make the trip a more more pleasent experance.

1466880129208.jpg

1466880129208.jpg

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, thats two posters who have said that, I will make sure not to use air France n the future.

1466880129208.jpg

I will be flying from Amsterdam to Scotland, after Bangkok to Amsterdam.

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

AirFrance

Used CDG only once: from touchdown to entering gate about 1h !!! (or more).

Endless taxiing. Thought it was a country outing.

Instead of walking through fingers we entered some lift truck to move us 50m (?) to the gate entrance. Waste of time.

Walking through the airport like a cross-country excursion (up and down and up and down).

Silly.

When leaving in Berlin we were treated extremely rude/arrogant at the check-in for having 2 kg over the 20 kg limit.

I have sworn not to use them except for escape from civil war on last flight :biggrin:

KLM

A no thrills, no problems experience in a 747.

They were cheap but a huge detour to get to Berlin.

I hate 12h nonstops.

Customs in Amsterdam was pedantic.

Checked the seal on my VHS cam for some "European" sign.

It had. Not bought in Bangkok!

No, we don't have gold!

The experience is very old (10 yr or so).

No idea whether things have improved/changed.

Thanks for your input, I did the trip from Bangkok to Glasgow, Scotland a few months ago with BA, flight OK, but food awful.

13 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"pay for an emergency exit row instead".   I take it you mean book one online? I will try that, but with BA only a few months ago I was only allowed to book 24 hrs beforehand, and there was none left. I will see what KLMs policy is regarding this. Thanks.

I booked the seat online, yes.

The 24 hours you were allowed with BA was to RESERVE the seat of your choice in advance, not book it. If you had wanted to reserve the seat earlier you could have done so, but I believe the cost is £25 and more again if you wanted an emergency exit row.

P.S. Here's a FREE tip from the Baboon Guide to flying Longhaul:

Try to get a seat near the back. No - one wants to sit there, so that is where all the spare seats (more room for you to stretch out and dump your stuff) tend to be.

12 minutes ago, bartender100 said:

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/KLM/information.php

I always check airlines here, individual routes can be checked for comments

I am 6'4" and need the legroom. KLM use two versions of 777-200ER to serve the BKK route. The one with 3-3-3 seat configuration has coach seats with extra legroom on row 40 seats A,B, H and J due to the curvature of the body (United's 777's  also have this). The other one with 3-4-3 seat configuration doesn't. It's a bit of a lottery knowing which derivative will be carrying you until the last minute (for BKK originating flight, you need to check what departed from AMS the day before but for the AMS originating flight, there's less notice). I do my check-in and seat assignment online and grab these seats. However, one time flying MAN-AMS-BKK, they decided to reassign me "to allow a family to sit together". They pulled this when I went to board at AMS, tearing up the MAN issued boarding pass and giving me the new one. Very pissed off, I hung around the back during boarding and there was no family seating in row 40. Ranted to the Purser who insisted that all seats were the same seat pitch to which I told her to check when she wasn't so busy. Half way through the flight, she came and apologized since she was unaware that the 3-3-3 configuration did have more legroom until I pointed it out. They were very amenable to getting me some port from the 'front of the bus' after dinner and I got a voucher for something or other in the post a few weeks later.

Their Economy-comfort was much better on the refurbished 747's that used to serve BKK and as noted earlier, the 777's offering isn't all that great but there is a few extra inches for a whole lot more Euro's.

Boeing 777-300 |Operated by: KLM

Example only -- taken from a dummy booking BKK to AMS

Recommended

Economy Comfort seat Seat with extra legroom Preferred seat Economy Class
THB 4,230.00 THB 3,460.00 THB 1,155.00 THB 770.00
image.seating2.legend.fbperks.Y35Free for Flying Blue Platinum image.seating2.legend.fbperks.ICA_EXTRA_LEGROOM_SFree for Flying Blue Platinum image.seating2.legend.fbperks.DOUBLE_SEATSFree for Flying Blue Gold & Platinum image.seating2.legend.fbperks.ASRFree for Flying Blue Silver, Gold & Platinum
34 seats left 8 seats left 29 seats left 164 seats left
Up to 10 cm (4 inch) more legroom Up to 22 cm (9 inch) more legroom Standard legroom Standard legroom
Up to two times more recline Standard recline Standard recline Standard recline

Screenshot-4.png

Screenshot-5.png

Screenshot-6.png

Edited by jpinx

17 hours ago, jpinx said:

Boeing 777-300 |Operated by: KLM

Example only -- taken from a dummy booking BKK to AMS

Recommended

Economy Comfort seat Seat with extra legroom Preferred seat Economy Class
THB 4,230.00 THB 3,460.00 THB 1,155.00 THB 770.00
image.seating2.legend.fbperks.Y35Free for Flying Blue Platinum image.seating2.legend.fbperks.ICA_EXTRA_LEGROOM_SFree for Flying Blue Platinum image.seating2.legend.fbperks.DOUBLE_SEATSFree for Flying Blue Gold & Platinum image.seating2.legend.fbperks.ASRFree for Flying Blue Silver, Gold & Platinum
34 seats left 8 seats left 29 seats left 164 seats left
Up to 10 cm (4 inch) more legroom Up to 22 cm (9 inch) more legroom Standard legroom Standard legroom
Up to two times more recline Standard recline Standard recline Standard recline

Screenshot-4.png

Screenshot-5.png

Screenshot-6.png

If they are using 777-300's on the BKK route now, then there's no seats with extra legroom beyond the window/aisle/exit row seats that they already charge an arm and a leg for.

My experience was from a year ago when 777-200's were the planes being used. KLM coach is cramped so I may be looking for alternatives now.

Edited by NanLaew

I believe it's all 300's now, and you're right about the seating in "normal" economy.  The Economy comfort gives enough legroom for a normal farang, but I need to take a Emergency exit seat and really stretch my legs out - I'm 6ft6". Downside is that they are slightly narrower seats because of the armrest holding the table, etc.  It's a very popular route so there are not often any spare seats.

I always look around on my way off the plane to see if there's any changes to the seating or it's layout, but no luck so far, and FirstClass is extortionate :( 

I tried NorwayAir but not much improvement, and lousy connections to UK.  I've tried Emirates - always too expensive and you can't book and pay for your seat online. Tried AirFrance -- they're a much worse version of KLM. also tried BerlinAir one time, but too many fatty passengers. ;)

If anyone knows of a better value for comfort seat on any airline I'd be interested.  I'm happy with the standard menu, no need for booze, etc, just give me space to stretch out ;)  It's an on-going issue for those of us who like to avoid London.

Just returned from a round trip Bangkok-Amsterdam-Humberside-Bangkok with KLM last week. For those who intend doing this route on business class, please ensure you are not seated on row 6. The first 5 rows are good but the row 6 is a single row between economy section galley and the economy section seating, terrible seat.

10 minutes ago, jpinx said:

I believe it's all 300's now, and you're right about the seating in "normal" economy.  The Economy comfort gives enough legroom for a normal farang, but I need to take a Emergency exit seat and really stretch my legs out - I'm 6ft6". Downside is that they are slightly narrower seats because of the armrest holding the table, etc.  It's a very popular route so there are not often any spare seats.

I always look around on my way off the plane to see if there's any changes to the seating or it's layout, but no luck so far, and FirstClass is extortionate :( 

I tried NorwayAir but not much improvement, and lousy connections to UK.  I've tried Emirates - always too expensive and you can't book and pay for your seat online. Tried AirFrance -- they're a much worse version of KLM. also tried BerlinAir one time, but too many fatty passengers. ;)

If anyone knows of a better value for comfort seat on any airline I'd be interested.  I'm happy with the standard menu, no need for booze, etc, just give me space to stretch out ;)  It's an on-going issue for those of us who like to avoid London.

I have been given some recommendations from others for Qatar and also EVA. I was tempted to try Luftwaffe when they initiated their ABZ daily fights but missed the opportunity. I did have a good experience with SAS via CPH a few years ago. Also see some random nods for Finnair via Helsinki.

29 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I have been given some recommendations from others for Qatar and also EVA. I was tempted to try Luftwaffe when they initiated their ABZ daily fights but missed the opportunity. I did have a good experience with SAS via CPH a few years ago. Also see some random nods for Finnair via Helsinki.

Thanks for the pointers -- a quick check tells me that Qatar don't appear to allow seat reservation in advance.  EVA have no connections to Scotland. Lufthansa have very few connections to Scotland and don't appear to allow prior seat reservation. SAS have very sporadic connections to Scotland. Finnair have no connections to Scotland.  Emirates seem to only do Economy or business.  They have Economy Flex but that's only so that you can change the dates, there's no apparent better seating.....  It's a minefield :( 

I have habitually avoided using BA for many years mainly due to the shambles that existed at Heathrow. However, with their own T5 terminal, I made a couple of flights through there in the past 3-4 years and was pleased with the ease of terminal and baggage transfer. My only gripe was being BA's exclusive terminal, I didn't have any access to the only lounge which is theirs. My friend recently found BKK-LHR r/t for around 21,000 baht and went back to the UK about 5 months ago with his wife for a holiday. If BA consistently keeps their fares this reasonable and coupled with the total ease of interlining at T5, I may have to change frequent flier programs. I think I read that there's now an 'all others' lounge now T5. To be honest, I like Schiphol and the ease of onward connections to the UK but if needs must, I will fly BA via LHR.

I've been flying KLM back to the UK the last couple of years, they've upgraded most of their fleet, connections out of Amsterdam are good, and their price is hard to beat. Seating is much like any other 777, leg room is reasonable, in-flight entertainment is good enough, food can be hit or miss.

As pointed out in earlier posts avoid the Air France options when booking, CDG is a nightmare airport.

My experiences with KLM are poor. Very sterile, not particularly good food or service. Not very good customer service. 

Schiphol is good for connections to UK and reasonable.

As others have said, avoid Air France. CDG is not good.

Sorry I can't be more positive about KLM. I stopped flying with them on long and short haul and would only consider use them if they had some remarkable price savings against other options.

I called them last week to change a flight back to ABZ via Amsterdam. Told me £400 would be added charge & was the cheapest they could do. The return flight cost me £450 so this was almost same price. Crazy!
I ended up not flying home and will just book a flight with another airline nearer the time I have to return home.
KLM told me the return ticket I purchased could only be changed if I wanted to return within 6 months from outward flight. Nowhere on my booking was this outlined!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect