Meet the Khao San Phad Thai seller from London speaking Lao!

webfact

Meet the Khao San Phad Thai seller from London speaking Lao!

p4.jpg

Image: video screenshot

BANGKOK: -- A video clip of a Caucasian lady selling Phad Thai in the Khao San area of Bangkok is wowing the local community.

It features a lady called Clair who has a long conversation with a Thai customer who drops by to get some Phat Thai with egg at her stall.

Clair explains that she is really a farmer from Mukdaharn. She lives in the north east where she looks after pigs and cattle. She is married to a Thai man, reports Sanook.

She shows an impressive ability at both central Thai and Isaan dialect, though to much amusement from her customer she expresses a preference for the Laotian language because it is easier for her.

Her customer - who posted on the Nattapon Brian Sri Chan Facebook page - asks her why she doesn't teach English. She says she doesn't have time for that and really doesn't like children all that much.

She says she will be visiting her hometown of London next year.

More than 500,000 people loved the unusual clip and it was shared 31,000 times.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-12

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, samsensam said:

foreigner speaks thai, is this really newsworthy? 

in fact she has been working here for many years, i used to see her on soi rambutri all the time

Yes, indeed... She has been in that area for ages and her foodcart was at the corner of Rambutri early 2000's.

2 minutes ago, samsensam said:

foreigner speaks thai, is this really newsworthy? 

in fact she has been working here for many years, i used to see her on soi rambutri all the time

Fair enough. But many of us don't know this, so I'm quite happy to read another human-interest story, even if it's "stale" to some - :smile:. A western women involved in one of Thailand's ubiquitous tourist attractions -- ok, mildly interesting, but of interest just the same. And I'm not paying for the news service. Cheers.

21 minutes ago, sirmud63 said:

nice storey, but im wondering how she can do that legaly ,as in work permit ? or is she a thai citizen?

I don't care about her workpermit, i just like it.

In Europe we have vietnamese lumpia-vendors everywhere, also chinese restaurants on every street, middle-east kebab on every street and so on...i like it, so boring to eat the same food every day again and i'm not a big fan of Thai food anyway...Wished there was more foreign food for sale on the streets made by locals from those places..i don't need sushi made by a Thai.

56 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

My name is Albert and I get upset when I see people of a my superior race integrating with the locals. 

Please give me something about a wayward monk or anything that makes my contempt and hatred of the country I'm stuck living in, as it makes me feel happy when similar posters show that there are others who have lived here for 5 years and only know how to say, "sanook, poom pui and same same"

I know a Thai bar owner in Bangkok, has the biggest Cockney accent you will hear, he spent a total of 6 months there.

Woopie doo !

It is NOT news, it is junk journalism.

Your obsession with people speaking the language is ludicrous, and yes, it is an obsession.

17 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

married to a Thai

can have a Thai ID

citizen

IF A WOMAN!

equality

Actually if you are a man married to a Thai woman, all you need is a job that pays 40,000 baht a month for 3 years, hardly difficult and easier than many countries, times have changed. 

At Kao Sarn road i've seen the kebab vendors who are Thai. That doesn't look like kebab at all which is too bad because i love to eat it.

In Singapore they have real kebab shops, many foreigners hanging around there spending much money on beer as well.

Really Thailand would be better off with more farangs selling food/services. It would increase standards and attract more tourists.

Yesterday i saw a group of farang backpackers playing guitar on a walkingbridge and collecting money, that should be stopped imo.

I wished BKK had good chinese take-away restaurants like in Europe. Or more good foodcourts like in Central Chidlom. Not everybody likes to eat streetfood from a filthy streetcart.

"... why she doesn't teach English. She says she doesn't have time for that and really doesn't like children all that much. "

What a diplomatic way to say that what she has seen of English education in Thailand, it would be a total waste of her time. 

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Sad fact is that there are far too many nosey interfering posters on tv.

What if she has a work permit, what if she doesnt have 1.

Her business not anybody elses, let her get on with her life and others get on with theirs.

Certainly living up to your moniker.

I hope she reads TV, heeds the warnings and takes a break for a while.

23 minutes ago, fruitman said:

At Kao Sarn road i've seen the kebab vendors who are Thai. That doesn't look like kebab at all which is too bad because i love to eat it.

In Singapore they have real kebab shops, many foreigners hanging around there spending much money on beer as well.

Really Thailand would be better off with more farangs selling food/services. It would increase standards and attract more tourists.

Yesterday i saw a group of farang backpackers playing guitar on a walkingbridge and collecting money, that should be stopped imo.

I wished BKK had good chinese take-away restaurants like in Europe. Or more good foodcourts like in Central Chidlom. Not everybody likes to eat streetfood from a filthy streetcart.

Majority of the chinese take-away restaurants in Europe are rubbish dare I say, its not even close to chinese food. Many are not made or run by chinese as well. I get what you are saying though, but the problem is that local locals don't like foreign food that much to begin with to have these type of take out restaurants. On top of that, Centrals food loft food isn't exactly take out price as well for Thais.

2 minutes ago, mike324 said:

Majority of the chinese take-away restaurants in Europe are rubbish dare I say, its not even close to chinese food. Many are not made or run by chinese as well. I get what you are saying though, but the problem is that local locals don't like foreign food that much to begin with to have these type of take out restaurants. On top of that, Centrals food loft food isn't exactly take out price as well for Thais.

There are very good chinese restaurants in Europe, also bad ones. In BKK i wouldn't know where to buy takeaway with good meat and loads of fresh vegy in it. And i want to sit in a nice clean place while waiting.

Yes Chidlom foodloft isn't cheap but worth the money for me, not many thai there though but they go to their markets. Also it's only a departmentstore, wished there were more shops inside. But the other malls don't have such a nice foodloft, they have more shops though.

BKK has food in every price-class but not for everyone's taste, i prefer to pay more for healthy nice food but it's hard to find, so is good meat. For meatlovers BKK is not a paradise unfortunately.

I never buy any food from streetvendors because first they can't speak a word english, 2nd it looks filthy most of the time, 3rd i want to sit on a bench/chair while eating, 4th i need a bin to get rid of the waste.

But if i see this lady i'll order food from her anyway, she can't grab the ingredients by bare hands though.

19 minutes ago, mike324 said:

What you call rubbish is the smart take of pre-dominantly chinese entrepeneurs, often of the second or third generation of chinese food adapted to the local palate. I've eaten chinese food all over europe, and yes, it did taste a wee spanish in Spain. Upon questioning the proprietor he informed me that " this the way people like it". Mind you, it's ALWAYS possible to get the "real stuff". Just ask for it in chinese.