Rule of Thumb for Scooter Value Depreciation in Thailand

48 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

That formula makes my daily rider worth minus 8000 Baht whereas it is actually worth between 40 to 50% of the purchase cost.

Rule-0-thumb applicable to:

nice,

relatively new,

relatively low milage,

smaller bikes,

like OP's PCX,

& smaller.

What's yours?

8 hours ago, In the jungle said:

Wave 110i, 2012, 40,000 km, excellent condition.

My old Honda Dream is worth minus 148,000 Baht ;-)

You do understand the 

the 'relatively low milage" caveat, right?

and "relatively new" ??

I guess not.

• 1 year later...

Having arrived at this 2 year old thread for ideas of valuation of my Scooter which a friend may buy... I don't want to rip them off, I don't want to give it away either... 

Yamaha Tricity 155cc ABS model.... 10 months old about 2000km.

New price is 98,500 baht

The -20% -1baht per KM places it at about 76,500 baht.... I which case he can have it for 70,000 baht... but... Is that a fair price?

If in good condition that sounds a bit on the low side, it should sell for 80k on the market, 75k at worst.

I don't go with any formula, to see what is the going rate check the ads on the web for 2nd hand bikes and get a feel for the price, of course they always put 5k too much on ads to leave room for haggling, but it usually is the best approach... (I doubt you see many ads for your bike though, they are rare, specially the new 155cc ones).

On 10/30/2018 at 5:21 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Having arrived at this 2 year old thread for ideas of valuation of my Scooter which a friend may buy... I don't want to rip them off, I don't want to give it away either... 

Yamaha Tricity 155cc ABS model.... 10 months old about 2000km.

New price is 98,500 baht

The -20% -1baht per KM places it at about 76,500 baht.... I which case he can have it for 70,000 baht... but... Is that a fair price?

yes

• 1 month later...

There are always extenuating circumstances for a bike valuation, but I like Papa Al's "rule of thumb."   I think it's pretty accurate.   I read it when you first posted it long ago, and still do the computations in my head when I look at bikes for sale.   It's a good "ball park estimate."

Archived