Registered Mail - International tracking?

MJKT2014

Hi,

I posted an envelope by Thai registered mail to the USA for about 120THB and the Thai post web site only reports tracking as far as departing BKK airport. Nothing after that. Does the report stop there or should I have used some other form of registered post? I didn't want to use courier like DHL as the cost was not justifiable.

Appreciate experiences of Thai reg post overseas please?

Edited by MJKT2014

Thanks guys, that helps a great deal, I didn't know about the USPS tracking site worked also for Thai track#.  However until now (over three weeks) USPS cannot tell me more than the Thai site for a small envelope sent airmail that it is leaving Thailand BKK airport. Hope its got further than that as it needs to arrive before end of year:

Product & Tracking Information

Postal Product:

•  

Features:

• Registered Mail

Date & Time
Status of Item

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

Can't help with USA.

I recently sent a registered mail to Germany.

Next day (Nov 16) it was shown in the Thai postal tracking as

"Departure from outward OE".

(the Thai text reads more like cleared by customs/inspection)

Then after a whopping 5 days it is shown as "Germany ...  To Customs".

Here the Thai tracking ends.

thaipost.jpg

Then with a delay of least another day (on 22nd) it appears at Deutsche Post.

deutschepost.jpg

About Nov 23 it reached the destination (a bank).

Deutsche Post tracking is quite poor as it doesn't show history and for some states not even a time stamp within the message.

It will remain a mystery to me what happened during Nov 16 to 21.

I suspect that it piles up at the incoming customs check.

I have seen reports about their work.

Shipments from Colombia: individual manual check for each shipment.

Thailand might be comparably "suspicious".

I used registered for a letter to the UK last month. It was tracked as far as outgoing from Bangkok and didn't appear on the Royal Mail tracking site until the day it was delivered, about ten days later.     I suspect that a registered envelope  is treated as normal mail, except that  it needs a signature so is only entered onto the system when it goes out for delivery.

14 hours ago, lungbing said:

I used registered for a letter to the UK last month. It was tracked as far as outgoing from Bangkok and didn't appear on the Royal Mail tracking site until the day it was delivered, about ten days later.     I suspect that a registered envelope  is treated as normal mail, except that  it needs a signature so is only entered onto the system when it goes out for delivery.

That was what we had in the past from Canada Post. It was showing only the delivery day.

BUT, .as of 20 AUG 2015,Canada Post does not track anymore international registered mail   with "R" prefix . I complained about it and I got this information from Canada Post. They told me if I want  have a proof, I have to request and pay the "Advice of receipt card" at the originating pots office.  Seem they are going back to the time they had to computer.

As for US Postal service  tracking , I sent a registered letter  to an Atlanta Delta office this year. the USPS tracking was slow but the letter was tracked up to  Atlanta Postal hub but nothing after about the delivery.  But the mail was delivered to Delta Airline.

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Ty to track it here: https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction_input

Not sure if registered mail is tracked though.

You can track an EMS envelope or package there. I have done it before.

Edit: It may take several days to get a update on tracking. There will be no new info until it arrives in the states.

US postal system does not track registered mail on their website.  This is where Asia offers a more comprehensive, better service.  You need to use Speed Post / EMS to garner the USPS's attention. 

As before I could track an envelop to the airplane going to Canada in Thailand and that is all.  Four or five years ago I could track it to delivery in Canada, now Canada Postal says they don't track small registered mail.  Could EPS it and track which cost a lot more.

44 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

US postal system does not track registered mail on their website.  This is where Asia offers a more comprehensive, better service.  You need to use Speed Post / EMS to garner the USPS's attention. 

Not sure what you're talking about. I regularly send registered letters to the US. The one below last month to Cleveland. 

Tracking by Thai P.O.

track2.png

Tracking by USPS

track.png

Edited by Suradit69

Sometimes it is just slow.  I posted my kids Social Security forms back on 1 Nov and it took 37 days to get any tracking beyond BKK and then magically the US tracking info was added. 

TIp: If you click on Recipient Name in the bottom right box a new window pops up where you can see the name of whoever signed for the package.

December 8, 2016
18:00-21:00
United States of America (18767) Delivery Status Successful Recipient Name

2 hours ago, cnx355 said:

That was what we had in the past from Canada Post. It was showing only the delivery day.

BUT, .as of 20 AUG 2015,Canada Post does not track anymore international registered mail   with "R" prefix . I complained about it and I got this information from Canada Post. They told me if I want  have a proof, I have to request and pay the "Advice of receipt card" at the originating pots office.  Seem they are going back to the time they had to computer.

As for US Postal service  tracking , I sent a registered letter  to an Atlanta Delta office this year. the USPS tracking was slow but the letter was tracked up to  Atlanta Postal hub but nothing after about the delivery.  But the mail was delivered to Delta Airline.

Canada, USA, and Australia are very slow and tracking hardly work lately. We send hundreds parcels every month.

Thanks guys. Seems like airmail may just be slow..

** I need to resend document to arrive before end of yr so thinking of DHL. The DHL web says I can arrange to have my document picked up from my home by them, do they put it in a DHL envelope at my home and why would it be cheaper than me taking it to their office to post? Rates below from their web site shows 1177THb if I take to DHL but only 807THb if they come and pick it up?? Anyone tried this please?

DHL rates.JPG

I can confirm the same to the USA- I sent a registered letter on 24 Nov 16 and it showed as arriving at Swampy on 28 Nov and outbound to the USA. I have been tracking  thru the USPS site and it has not shown any updates. Normally, it takes 10 days to reach its destination. All of a sudden things are slow- could be due to holiday mail or extra security through New York Customs because of New York's current President Elect. Probably both.

I currently have the same problem as the OP, but mine is a EMS very small packet being sent in EMS envelope. It is a SSD being sent RMA from Kathu in Phuket to Boise ID in USA. Sent from Kathu on 28-Nov and was told about 5-7 days to delivery. Have sent EMS a number of times before and generally excellent service. This time did the tracking using the Thai Post service, but it stopped at Suvranabum on 30-Nov and that was the last record.  Checked USPS tracking, no joy. Checked 17track.net which I have found very good fro items from China, USA, India and others, but no joy. Wifey asked at Kathu post office and the boss did usual Thai mai roo. Yesterday went to central Province post and talked there (it is a US$300 item being sent), very helpful young supervisor took the info and said she has to contact the cental BKK post. Said I would get refund for the slow but acknowledges the packet value and said Thai Post would check. So waiting.

Just saw the MJKT post and bit of eyeopener. I have avoided DHL like the plague since they buggered one of my shipment to Europe six months ago, also will never have them for incoming due to the well-known customs hassles. But looking at the rates I wish I had sent by them because my trivial little packet weighing about 4 ounces cost THB 1440 for the EMS to USA and probably would have been there long ago. Mental note to myself: outgoing via Fedex or DHL, incoming USPS, China Post, or similar.

I am quite surprised about the EMS delay- I have used this many times from Thailand and always delivered within 5 days time and always updated and tracked through both the Thai and US sites very accurately.  I believe something is amiss in the US system- and it must have to do with holiday mail and security both. I have never had any problems in decades like I am having in the November/December time frame this year.

On 12/16/2016 at 11:40 AM, keeniau96 said:

I currently have the same problem as the OP, but mine is a EMS very small packet being sent in EMS envelope. It is a SSD being sent RMA from Kathu in Phuket to Boise ID in USA. Sent from Kathu on 28-Nov and was told about 5-7 days to delivery. Have sent EMS a number of times before and generally excellent service. This time did the tracking using the Thai Post service, but it stopped at Suvranabum on 30-Nov and that was the last record.  Checked USPS tracking, no joy. Checked 17track.net which I have found very good fro items from China, USA, India and others, but no joy. Wifey asked at Kathu post office and the boss did usual Thai mai roo. Yesterday went to central Province post and talked there (it is a US$300 item being sent), very helpful young supervisor took the info and said she has to contact the cental BKK post. Said I would get refund for the slow but acknowledges the packet value and said Thai Post would check. So waiting.

So incredible if we cannot trust even ems...

On 12/16/2016 at 11:34 AM, MJKT2014 said:

Thanks guys. Seems like airmail may just be slow..

** I need to resend document to arrive before end of yr so thinking of DHL. The DHL web says I can arrange to have my document picked up from my home by them, do they put it in a DHL envelope at my home and why would it be cheaper than me taking it to their office to post? Rates below from their web site shows 1177THb if I take to DHL but only 807THb if they come and pick it up?? Anyone tried this please?

DHL rates.JPG

Also interested, if you get a correct reply.

On 12/16/2016 at 9:10 AM, yellowboat said:

USPS can of course track Thai parcels as soon as they arrive in USA.

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 4:53 PM, amjamj said:

Also interested, if you get a correct reply

Ok, I got no answer from anyone but I did it myself today anyway to see wt heck happens with DHL Ship Online.

The web site took my details and allowed me to print out my own waybill paper and said it would charge me 807THB as per above and on web site - but only after successful pick up. I was able to leave my plane white envelope with the DHL shipment papers I had printed downstairs at the condo reception.  I could have arranged them to come to my room as well, but I planned to be out so left it at reception. DHL came by to pick up envelope a couple hours later and then I was charged an additional 20% to total 968THB for no reason I am aware of. Still cheaper than all the other prices on the DHL web site tho and for convenience cannot be beat. I guess the DHL guy stuck my plane white envelope in a DHL bag and now I just track it.

Interestingly doing it this way, unlike going to DHL itself, I got a cheaper price (I think?), I didn't have to give any ID or passport, I didn't have to be there at time or sign anything? I paid with my KBank virtual Visa shopping card on the web site, and they added 20% for some reason.

Edited by MJKT2014

3 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Ok, I got no answer from anyone but I did it myself today anyway to see wt heck happens with DHL Ship Online.

The web site took my details and allowed me to print out my own waybill paper and said it would charge me 807THB as per above and on web site - but only after successful pick up. I was able to leave my plane white envelope with the DHL shipment papers I had printed downstairs at the condo reception.  I could have arranged them to come to my room as well, but I planned to be out so left it at reception. DHL came by to pick up envelope a couple hours later and then I was charged an additional 20% to total 968THB for no reason I am aware of. Still cheaper than all the other prices on the DHL web site tho and for convenience cannot be beat. I guess the DHL guy stuck my plane white envelope in a DHL bag and now I just track it.

Interestingly doing it this way, unlike going to DHL itself, I got a cheaper price (I think?), I didn't have to give any ID or passport, I didn't have to be there at time or sign anything? I paid with my KBank virtual Visa shopping card on the web site, and they added 20% for some reason.

No need to give your name, they have it from the bank card payment.

Parcel post to USA has gone haywire over the last two months: you can post one day and it will arrive within the normal 16 days, whereas on another day it may take 30 days plus and possibly not arrive at all.  Chaos for us onliners- as you can imagine.

Most likely the failure has occured due to Thailand Post.  Earlier this year there was a similar problem to UK, where they had used an inferior courier, and it may well be the same as happened here.

13 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Parcel post to USA has gone haywire over the last two months: you can post one day and it will arrive within the normal 16 days, whereas on another day it may take 30 days plus and possibly not arrive at all.  Chaos for us onliners- as you can imagine.

Most likely the failure has occured due to Thailand Post.  Earlier this year there was a similar problem to UK, where they had used an inferior courier, and it may well be the same as happened here.

Yes ! exactly ! and we also have problems with canada and australia.

14 hours ago, true blue said:

Posted parcel with Thai post office registered to Argentina never seen agian

Wanted 2600 for ems.

With goods inside, possibly stopped by customs.

ALL south America countries stop ALL Ems parcel because they suspect a value and high tax.

If you send by airmail they usually don't stop anything...

6 hours ago, amjamj said:

With goods inside, possibly stopped by customs.

ALL south America countries stop ALL Ems parcel because they suspect a value and high tax.

If you send by airmail they usually don't stop anything...

Sent by air mail no ems as 2 expensive