Only 2 Visa Exempt Entries At Border Crossings Per Calendar Year Effective Dec 31st

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

People from Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar (by air only) and Vietnam get their entries from a bilateral agreement with Thailand and will not be effected by this change since they are not under the visa exempt scheme.

That will be the big question. These three countries make up 90% of Visa Runners.

Specially the Vietnamese has been a target for earlier crackdown, together with South Korean and Russians.

16 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

The residence option vanishes when not having a thai income to pay taxes tho.. 

Its hardly like you make it seem.. do this, wait 3 years.. Voila.. 

You don't have to apply for the Residency Permit; its an option.  You can just keep applying for another non O. 

Thai income is just one criteria to qualify, there are several other valid criteria (such as Investment).  

Just to be clear, my post stated that you could "apply"  for it. I did not say it would be "approved". Residency Permits are not straightforward to obtain and have strict quotas. 

Edited by griedarw

7 minutes ago, visarunner said:

That will be the big question. These three countries make up 90% of Visa Runners.

Specially the Vietnamese has been a target for earlier crackdown, together with South Korean and Russians.

They may do another order to stop some on bilateral agreements but not for the neighboring countries since they often enter for shopping and etc.

I think the fact they mentioned Malaysians supports my belief they are not covered since they are not under the visa exemption scheme. Malaysia does not have a bilateral agreement other than for free visas.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Mai Sai is one of 3 crossings to Myanmar that does not allow a crossing for a new visa exempt entry.

The Chiang Khong crossing to Laos allows them along with most other crossings.

Thanks again Joe I appreciate your help as usual. What is special about Myanmar and not Laos or Cambodia? That seems random and strange. I live in Chiang Mai so I guess Chiang Khong is closest?

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

I believe for a period all border hops were stopped but I can't remember when or for how long.

Recently poipet was reported as not even allowing in/out even with a valid multi visa.

It's all getting similar to a UK wife's demands leading to divorce. ie 'these are today's demands but stay awake as tomorrow they just might change' ?

I remember that period I think but I swore I wasn't the profile of a "visa runner" because I bought my visa in the US and wanted a mere 3 extra weeks. I told the immigration official about my issue but he didn't even ask to see a ticket and just pointed to the sign "no in and outs".

13 minutes ago, genericptr said:

Thanks again Joe I appreciate your help as usual. What is special about Myanmar and not Laos or Cambodia? That seems random and strange. I live in Chiang Mai so I guess Chiang Khong is closest?

Not sure but it could be from the Myanmar side. You can do one it you get a Myanmar visa.

Chiang Khong is the closest crossing that allows them.

In my mind, I think the imposition of a limit to the number of land-entry exempt (tourism-only) entries makes sense.

I would have perhaps taken a larger view of it - because Thailand is the logistical/transportation "hub" for travel to/from and around the immediate region.

I might have done something like a 3-entry limit per year- but I would have added some carve-out exceptions...

Such as (example) if you enter on an exemption from say Cambodia, but then exit and go to Lao- when you come back to Thailand, I wouldn't count that new exempt entry as #2.... but I might add something like a re-entry type permit that allows you to exit Thailand but only to a neighbor country.. when you come back, clock starts running again on your previous exempt entry.

This way, someone can enter on 1 exempt entry, stay here a while, then go to Lao come back, then go to Myanmar -- this to me would be one entry (as example only)

I would also greatly step up checks and better define what constitutes legitimate grounds for an extension of tourist stays (be that formal visas or otherwise)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

In my mind, I think the imposition of a limit to the number of land-entry exempt (tourism-only) entries makes sense.

I would have perhaps taken a larger view of it - because Thailand is the logistical/transportation "hub" for travel to/from and around the immediate region.

I might have done something like a 3-entry limit per year- but I would have added some carve-out exceptions...

Such as (example) if you enter on an exemption from say Cambodia, but then exit and go to Lao- when you come back to Thailand, I wouldn't count that new exempt entry as #2.... but I might add something like a re-entry type permit that allows you to exit Thailand but only to a neighbor country.. when you come back, clock starts running again on your previous exempt entry.

This way, someone can enter on 1 exempt entry, stay here a while, then go to Lao come back, then go to Myanmar -- this to me would be one entry (as example only)

I would also greatly step up checks and better define what constitutes legitimate grounds for an extension of tourist stays (be that formal visas or otherwise)

The rules have to be easy to apply by any immigration officer.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Like 1

The rules have to be easy to apply by any immigration officer.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I agree -- I'm just spitballing in that given Thailands position as regional transport hub, I think there's a case to be made for those who may be going "in-out" but to/from different countries and within the original 30-day exempt timeframe that most nationals get.

But yes- it's got to be simple.. but also written as to not really impede legitimate tourist movement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lee b said:

I thought that they stopped this a while back. Mai Sai would not let you back in the country if you had no visa. Or have I misunderstood this?

I just learned (from Joe here) it is one of 3 Myanmar borders that don't grant visa exempt stamps. I had to learn this the hard way last year though.

1 hour ago, lee b said:

I thought that they stopped this a while back. Mai Sai would not let you back in the country if you had no visa. Or have I misunderstood this?

I did that in 2014: Had a MM visa, went to Tachileik for a day, returned to Mae Sai and got another 30 days in my passport. Could it be that some are confusing it with (as another poster already pointed out) with the situation where one doesn't have a MM visa? AFAIK you need a visa for MM, but can visit Tachileik for a day using some kind of day-pass where you leave your passport with the Thai immigration officer at the border and get it back (without anything stamped) on return. 

Edited by cocoonclub

On 12/17/2016 at 6:44 PM, Crossy said:

It does appear to be land-border only (at least for now) so the fly-in fly-out chaps should be OK.

Unless fly-in fly-out exceeds 5 in 12 months, then the warning goes off on their computers and they assume abuse of visa exempt entries and strongly suggest that a visa should be obtained or next entry could be DENIED. 

15 hours ago, Michael8511 said:

The METV is easy to get and its good for a year from the day you get the visa. The small amount of money you need in the bank is peanuts compare to the 55+ visa.

the visa I got August 2 2016 have enter before 1 August 2017, so there is plenty of time to spend in Thailand. And $200 is not that bad.

personally I can understand the change of Visa Runs, it's a lot of people who use them and now it's consequenses for it. 

Have you ever tried to get a tourist visa to USA? There you have controll from embassy, Thailand is easy compare to US.

image.jpeg

I guess that the reason for the latest change is to force people who want to visit here more than twice to get an METV. That is, making sure that frequent visitors maintain an established residential and financial base in their country of origin, and that they go back to their country of origin regularly rather than renewing their visas (or visa exeptions) in the region. Alongside all the other changes, this looks very much like part of an overall rich guys in poor guys out strategy.

Edited by dbrenn
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, cocoonclub said:

I did that in 2014: Had a MM visa, went to Tachileik for a day, returned to Mae Sai and got another 30 days in my passport. Could it be that some are confusing it with (as another poster already pointed out) with the situation where one doesn't have a MM visa? AFAIK you need a visa for MM, but can visit Tachileik for a day using some kind of day-pass where you leave your passport with the Thai immigration officer at the border and get it back (without anything stamped) on return. 

whats an MM visa

edit i worked it out MM - burma

Edited by steve187

2 hours ago, dbrenn said:

I guess that the reason for the latest change is to force people who want to visit here more than twice to get an METV. That is, making sure that frequent visitors maintain an established residential and financial base in their country of origin, and that they go back to their country of origin regularly rather than renewing their visas (or visa exeptions) in the region. Alongside all the other changes, this looks very much like part of an overall rich guys in poor guys out strategy.

This makes sense.  A tourist arrives from his home country, tours the destination and goes home.  Excursions to neighbouring countries are just that and the METV allows for a nice holiday.  For someone who wants to stay long-term, they need to consider the myriad of other options.  Work, Marriage, Investment, Elite, Retirement, 5/10 year retirement, etc, etc.   Can anyone justify a stay in Thailand that is not covered by one of these options?

20 hours ago, griedarw said:

I believe the tourist visas are currently free so if might be worth you getting one to avoid any hassle. 

What would be the easiest country to get a single-entry tourist visa atm? Vientiane? I remember it used to be quite relaxed (even for double-entries at that time) but heard they recently began to be more picky. 

What would be the easiest country to get a single-entry tourist visa atm? Vientiane? I remember it used to be quite relaxed (even for double-entries at that time) but heard they recently began to be more picky. 

Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Burma, Indonesia.

all are very easy (Burma, Cambodia can be done siting at home)

for some I'd say their future plans wont include Thailand, others will stay away and not support a Junta and for others it will be business as usual,

Thailand looking to hit 32++million tourist, so this wont really affect them at all  :-)

ONLY affect those looking to keep doing border trips

Edited by phuketrichard

This makes sense.  A tourist arrives from his home country, tours the destination and goes home.  Excursions to neighbouring countries are just that and the METV allows for a nice holiday.  For someone who wants to stay long-term, they need to consider the myriad of other options.  Work, Marriage, Investment, Elite, Retirement, 5/10 year retirement, etc, etc.   Can anyone justify a stay in Thailand that is not covered by one of these options?

It only makes sense if they use length of time spent in Thailand rather than number of visits.

E.g this year has been a busy year at work so I've had fewer trips than normal:
- 4 days over the New Year
- 8 days for my birthday in Feb
- 3 day wknd in August
- 7 days for my mates birthday in September
- 6 days planned over Xmas

5 visits in a year makes me look like an "Out/In" Visa Runner but I've spent less time in Thailand than you get on 1 Visa Exempt stamp.

But as has been said, I can't see them applying this to people who fly in, especially not from Singapore as the planes are always full of people going over to shop/eat.
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, elviajero said:

They were probably given a 15 day visa exempt entry. It wouldn't have been a 14 day VOA. People often don't know to count the day they enter as day 1, and wrongly call a visa exempt entry a VOA.

The error could be corrected at an immigration office.

Exactly right - it starts on day 1 so while they call it 15 days in actuality it's only 14.

So if it's really every "calendar year", that should mean you can stay 5 months if you fly in at the start of October then do 4 border hops.

Get 2 x 30 days for November and December, spend New Year's Eve in Laos then get another 2 entries the next calendar year covering you for Jan and Feb. 

Right?