800 000 Baht Security Deposit

Greetings. I have funds invested for 12 months in a fixed deposit account with Bangkok Bank. Being a restricted type of account, will this be acceptable to Immigration when my retirement visa comes up for renewal next year? Many thanks. 

Greetings. I have funds invested for 12 months in a fixed deposit account with Bangkok Bank. Being a restricted type of account, will this be acceptable to Immigration when my retirement visa comes up for renewal next year? Many thanks. 

The money has to be accessible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

If it's a "Fixed Deposit Account" (orange colored passbook) then the money/balance is always accessible with a penalty on interest if accessed premature.

I have used such accounts at Khon Kaen immigration for four years without any complaint.

From what I read the very most immigration offices do also.

Which is your office?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, irlguy1 said:

The money has to be accessible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really. Well the immigration office at Kap Cheong insisted that my funds be in a fixed deposit. I think this is illogical as the funds are meant to be a means of supporting oneself, however that was the way it was.

Fixed deposit accounts are accepted at most immigrations, I think, seeing as it's no different from a savings account in regard to "immediately available cash". They're not interested in the loss-of-interest aspect (which is where a savings and fixed deposit account differ) in the case of early withdrawal (no pun intended, I swear).

Don't forget to get a bank statement (~200 baht) three months before renewing the visa extention. There's no need to get another one upon applying for the visa extention, as any withdrawal would show up in the bank book, because there's no ATM card attached to a fixed deposit account. Has always worked for me at Jomtien Immigration.

54 minutes ago, AsiaCheese said:

Fixed deposit accounts are accepted at most immigrations, I think, seeing as it's no different from a savings account in regard to "immediately available cash". They're not interested in the loss-of-interest aspect (which is where a savings and fixed deposit account differ) in the case of early withdrawal (no pun intended, I swear).

Don't forget to get a bank statement (~200 baht) three months before renewing the visa extention. There's no need to get another one upon applying for the visa extention, as any withdrawal would show up in the bank book, because there's no ATM card attached to a fixed deposit account. Has always worked for me at Jomtien Immigration.

I have never heard of that before.

Indeed, I was under the impression that the letter had to be dated within a day or two of extending the visa. I have always obtained this letter from the bank on the day of visiting immigration.

Must be another policy in Jomtien.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maoro2013 said:

Really. Well the immigration office at Kap Cheong insisted that my funds be in a fixed deposit. I think this is illogical as the funds are meant to be a means of supporting oneself, however that was the way it was.

I go to Kap Choen and that was never mentioned to me.Anyway,you can support yourself from a fixed deposit,just lose % when you withdraw.Put your living money in another account.

I've been on an extension of stay (retirement) and have used a fixed deposit account for the

last 12 years, no problems here in Bangkok.  I have had to start updating my bank book on the day

of application though to meet their requirements.  Conveniently, at the Chaeng Wattana offices many

major banks are located in the basement along with the food courts and photo copy services.

So I get my updated balance forward stamp (which matches my bank letter) on the day right there.

I am also using Bangkok Bank.

4 hours ago, maoro2013 said:

Gee Whiz. Unfortunately immigration officers and offices interpret the rules differently. At my office time deposits will not be allowed. They want savings account with instant access only.

The only way to be sure is to ask the individual office which you use. No one rule for all.

17 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Gee Whiz. Unfortunately immigration officers and offices interpret the rules differently. At my office time deposits will not be allowed. They want savings account with instant access only.

The only way to be sure is to ask the individual office which you use. No one rule for all.

For clarity and usefulness, 'your' immigration office is where?

Edited by NanLaew

9 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Does of the deposit or maturity date of the fixed deposit play a part in the extension of stay renewal process? 

What I mean is, if my stay expires in Jan 2017, do I have to season the fixed deposit for 3 months first?

It has to be deposited for 3 months on the date you apply for the extension.

I thought, but I may be wrong since I haven't tried to apply for an extension based on retirement yet, that what matters is the letter from the bank saying that you have been above the 800k limit for the previous 3 months. When I asked my bank about whether my fixed deposit account would be considered, the answer was that they use the sum of the various accounts.

3 hours ago, louse1953 said:

I go to Kap Choen and that was never mentioned to me.Anyway,you can support yourself from a fixed deposit,just lose % when you withdraw.Put your living money in another account.

Yes quite right, but there was no logic in this. Furthermore I got a letter from the bank saying the funds were there, again illogical as I could have withdrawn them 5 minutes later. The immigration would not accept the letter as it was a few days old, as something came up in between. I had to go back to the bank for a new letter. Total BS if you ask me.

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It has to be deposited for 3 months on the date you apply for the extension.

I have a green TD book and the funds are unable to be removed until the due date, i assume this will be an issue as opposed to the orange TD book whare funds can be removed at any time.

When i went to the bank in Ubon today the boss printed me the requested letter and told me to go tomorrow and give it a try.   

OP,

For a number of years I have kept 800,000 in a Kasikorn deposit account. Every year I get a letter from the bank and take it to my immigration office at Laem Ngob, and have no problems. ck.

I cannot promise it will work at your immigration office but good lu

42 minutes ago, billzant said:

OP,

For a number of years I have kept 800,000 in a Kasikorn deposit account. Every year I get a letter from the bank and take it to my immigration office at Laem Ngob, and have no problems. ck.

I cannot promise it will work at your immigration office but good lu

Today i went to the immigration office in Sirindhorn and the lady that checked my papers told me she will not accept any TD book, she told me to have 800k in a current account book for two months and then come back and submit what is required. She also stated that the letter from the bank and the book update must be on the same date that i apply.

There was one guy sitting next to me and he told me he was also with Bangkok Bank and on his last extension he used his orange TD book with no issue. The immigration lady told his wife in Thai to inform him its none of his business what is required  on the documents i have to provide.

Like you have stated not only the locations have different requests, the people working in the same office decide what's needed on a daily basis.