Working next year in Bangkok and need some advice.

Hi,

I've scored a new job in Bangkok starting February next year. The company is paying for 1 month hotel accommodation after which I will need a place to stay - So probably around Early March. The work is near Chidlom BTS station. I am looking for something that is close to the BTS or MRT. However, I need some advice and guide what someone would do in this scenario because I am a little uncertain about the job that I am accepting and have agreed to "Trial" out the job. But at the same time, It was hard to turn down an offer to go work in Thailand.

I did want a 6 month contract because it is easier to commit to given that i'm unsure about the new job, but I was really surprised to find out that 12 month leases are pretty much the norm in Bangkok. I was looking at maybe staying in an airbnb place for a few months while I trial out the job, however I did notice that if you sign a 12 month contract that most places will allow early termination if you forfeit your security deposit which is fine by me. But I didn't want to cause problems or be blacklisted for doing such or stopped at immigration trying to leave the country if I had to break the lease.

I can get a monthly price no contract with airbnb for around 45000 baht per month, which is actually a bargain when I still have to pay 30,000 baht per month on a 12 month lease for the same area. I've found nothing trying to look for month to month rentals in the Bangkok CBD (Around nana or asok even). But 30,000 on a lease would save longer term if I committed a few months and had to leave and forfiet my security deposit. Problem with airbnb is that I will have to probably keep changing the place every 2 months to another place. I'm worried that one time of the year could be booked out and i'd be left with no place to stay. With a lease to a place, I am grounded and can stay minimum of the lease term and if the security deposit is all that gets forfieted if I want to leave early, I am also OK with that as well. But I don't want to cause problems leaving the country - etc have immigration stop me from leaving.

I'd prefer the peace and mind that if something goes wrong - civil war etc, that I am free to leave the country at any time with some notice and a fee at most. Don't want to feel forced to stay.

I wouldn't worry about this right now. Loads of places for you to look at when you arrive. You can literally pick a road you want to live on and wonder around, within a few minutes you will see signs with places to rent, it's that easy. 

Breaking leases are not a big deal if you're willing to forfeit your deposit, but obviously it would be preferable to avoid it. Don't expect any trouble from the authorities if you do this.

Get in touch with a real estate agent, many will be able to help you find a 6 month lease, some are willing to get internet and cable under their name also. It would be hard for you to get internet and cable service.

Airbnb would be a good choice as well if you would like to try out certain areas for 2-3 months.

Don't worry too much. It's super easy to find accomodation in Bangkok in any price range. I'd suggest a serviced apartment.

When I first came to Thailand I stayed a while in this place (http://www.baanrim.com/ratchada/index.php?lg=en).

Very cheap and close to the MRT.

You might also want to check out http://www.9apartment.com/ and http://www.mrroomfinder.com/

Good Luck.

On Friday, December 23, 2016 at 0:53 PM, mike324 said:

Get in touch with a real estate agent, many will be able to help you find a 6 month lease, some are willing to get internet and cable under their name also. It would be hard for you to get internet and cable service.

Airbnb would be a good choice as well if you would like to try out certain areas for 2-3 months.

You say internet is hard to get. If I were on a 6 month lease, couldn't I just get adsl2 and then pay a cancellation fee 6 months in?

What about 4g post paid internet? they have a 75gb plan.

2 hours ago, DjChris28 said:

You say internet is hard to get. If I were on a 6 month lease, couldn't I just get adsl2 and then pay a cancellation fee 6 months in?

What about 4g post paid internet? they have a 75gb plan.

Last I remember, TRUE only offer 12 month contracts, with a cancellation fee around 6000. I could be wrong, but there are other internet service providers which you could use. But for TV Cable, really not much choice unless you do online streaming. I am not sure if there are prepaid options now for TRUE in regards to cable.

8 minutes ago, mike324 said:

Last I remember, TRUE only offer 12 month contracts, with a cancellation fee around 6000. I could be wrong, but there are other internet service providers which you could use. But for TV Cable, really not much choice unless you do online streaming. I am not sure if there are prepaid options now for TRUE in regards to cable.

6000 small change for expat. I spend that a night in a hotel. Won't need cable tv. I was worried they would stop me unless i signed a 12 month lease. More worried about things which cant be bought if staying shorter than 12 months than termination fees.

The way i see it is 3 months on a tourist visa would cost me over 360,000 baht for a hotel for 3 months. 3 months working there on a work visa that assuming didn't work out would cost 90k for accomodation + 60k lease break security deposit gone + 6k internet + 6k internet break fee + water + electricity + an angry landlord. Still cheaper than a holiday that I normally could afford to pay anyway.

For me its a moral issue. I know ill probably work for 9 months but because 6 month leases are hardly available, I can't do the right thing by the landlord. Instead im forced to either break a 12 month lease and make a landlord suffer reletting because its still cheaper to do that than airbnb it for 9 months. Looks like around 4 months is the point where airbnb gets more expensive than breaking a lease.

On 12/24/2016 at 3:45 PM, DjChris28 said:

6000 small change for expat. I spend that a night in a hotel. Won't need cable tv. I was worried they would stop me unless i signed a 12 month lease. More worried about things which cant be bought if staying shorter than 12 months than termination fees.

The way i see it is 3 months on a tourist visa would cost me over 360,000 baht for a hotel for 3 months. 3 months working there on a work visa that assuming didn't work out would cost 90k for accomodation + 60k lease break security deposit gone + 6k internet + 6k internet break fee + water + electricity + an angry landlord. Still cheaper than a holiday that I normally could afford to pay anyway.

For me its a moral issue. I know ill probably work for 9 months but because 6 month leases are hardly available, I can't do the right thing by the landlord. Instead im forced to either break a 12 month lease and make a landlord suffer reletting because its still cheaper to do that than airbnb it for 9 months. Looks like around 4 months is the point where airbnb gets more expensive than breaking a lease.

Or you can go the service apartment route, one bedroom should run around 50-70k and you will get maid service around 2-3 times per week. Don't have to worry about contracts, angry landlords, paying bills etc.

Archived