Trump adopting same behavior he criticized Clinton for

webfact

Trump adopting same behavior he criticized Clinton for

By LISA LERER

WASHINGTON (AP) — Donald Trump spent the past two years attacking rival Hillary Clinton as crooked, corrupt, and weak.

But some of those attacks seem to have already slipped into the history books.

From installing Wall Street executives in his Cabinet to avoiding news conferences, the president-elect is adopting some of the same behavior for which he criticized Clinton during their fiery presidential campaign.

Here's a look at what Trump said then — and what he's doing now:

___

GOLDMAN SACHS

Then: "I know the guys at Goldman Sachs," Trump said at a South Carolina rally in February, when he was locked in a fierce primary battle with Texas Sen. Ted Cruz. "They have total, total control over him. Just like they have total control over Hillary Clinton."

Now: A number of former employees of the Wall Street bank will pay a key role in crafting Trump's economic policy. He's tapped Goldman Sachs president Gary Cohn to lead the White House National Economic Council. Steven Mnuchin, the Treasury secretary nominee, spent 17 years working at Goldman Sachs and Steve Bannon, Trump's chief strategist and senior counselor, started his career as an investment banker at the firm.

Trump is following in a long political tradition, though one he derided on the campaign trail: If Cohn accepts the nomination, he'll be the third Goldman executive to run the NEC.

___

BIG DONORS

Then: "Crooked Hillary. Look, can you imagine another four years of the Clintons? Seriously. It's time to move on. And she's totally controlled by Wall Street and all these people that gave her millions," Trump said at a May rally in Lynden, Washington.

Now: Trump has stocked his Cabinet with six top donors — far more than any recent White House. "I want people that made a fortune. Because now they're negotiating with you, OK?" Trump said, in a December 9 speech in Des Moines.

The biggest giver? Incoming small business administrator Linda McMahon gave $7.5 million to a super PAC backing Trump, more than a third of the money collected by the political action committee.

___

NEWS CONFERENCES

Then: "She doesn't do news conferences, because she can't," Trump said at an August rally in Ashburn, Virginia. "She's so dishonest she doesn't want people peppering her with questions."

Now: Trump opened his last news conference on July 27, saying: "You know, I put myself through your news conferences often, not that it's fun."

He hasn't held once since.

Trump skipped the news conference a president-elect typically gives after winning the White House. Instead, he released a YouTube video of under three minutes. This week, Trump abruptly canceled plans to hold his first post-election news conference, opting instead to describe his plans for managing his businesses in tweets. "I will hold a press conference in the near future to discuss the business, Cabinet picks and all other topics of interest. Busy times!" he tweeted in mid-December.

___

FAMILY TIES:

Then: "It is impossible to figure out where the Clinton Foundation ends and the State Department begins. It is now abundantly clear that the Clintons set up a business to profit from public office. They sold access and specific actions by and really for I guess the making of large amounts of money," Trump said at an August rally in Austin.

Now: While Trump has promised to separate himself from his businesses, there is plenty of overlap between his enterprises and his immediate family. His companies will be run by his sons, Donald Jr and Eric. And his daughter, Ivanka, and son-in-law, Jared Kushner, have joined Trump at a number of meetings with world leaders of countries where the family has financial interests.

In a financial disclosure he was required to file during the campaign, Trump listed stakes in about 500 companies in at least 25 countries.

Ivanka, in particular, has been caught making early efforts to leverage her father's new position into profits. After an interview with the family appeared on "60 Minutes," her jewelry company, Ivanka Trump Fine Jewelry, blasted out an email promoting the $10,800 gold bangle bracelet that she had worn during the appearance. The company later said they were "proactively discussing new policies and procedures."

Ivanka is also auctioning off a private coffee meeting with her to benefit her brother's foundation. The meeting is valued at $50,000, with the current top bid coming in at $25,000.

"United States Secret Service will be Present for the Duration of the Experience," warns the auction site.

Trump on Saturday said he would dissolve his charitable foundation amid efforts to eliminate any conflicts of interest before he takes office next month.

___

CLINTON INVESTIGATIONS

Then: "If I win, I am going to instruct my attorney general to get a special prosecutor to look into your situation, because there has never been so many lies, so much deception. There has never been anything like it, and we're going to have a special prosecutor," Trump said in the October presidential debate.

Now: Since winning office, Trump has said he has no intention of pushing for an investigation into Clinton's use of a private email server as secretary of State or the workings of her family foundation. "It's just not something that I feel very strongly about," he told the New York Times.

"She went through a lot. And suffered greatly in many different ways," he said. "I'm not looking to hurt them."

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-12-26

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Since winning office, Trump has said he has no intention of pushing for an investigation into Clinton's use of a private email server as secretary of State or the workings of her family foundation. "It's just not something that I feel very strongly about," he told the New York Times."

Good man! :smile:

Can't see the different between what he doing now, to many other politicians who promised the world just to get elected and once in office, are blaming past governments mistakes and of course, rewarding his staunch supporters and donors, and this is only the beginning, nothing new under the sun here.....

35 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

"Since winning office, Trump has said he has no intention of pushing for an investigation into Clinton's use of a private email server as secretary of State or the workings of her family foundation. "It's just not something that I feel very strongly about," he told the New York Times."

Good man! :smile:

But a huge about face from before the elections.  Along with many about faces on other subjects that helped get him elected.

From the OP:

Then: "If I win, I am going to instruct my attorney general to get a special prosecutor to look into your situation, because there has never been so many lies, so much deception. There has never been anything like it, and we're going to have a special prosecutor," Trump said in the October presidential debate.

In my book, he knew it was a lie and deceived the American public.  Or should I say suckered them into voting for him? :whistling:

8 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

But a huge about face from before the elections.  Along with many about faces on other subjects that helped get him elected.

From the OP:

In my book, he knew it was a lie and deceived the American public.  Or should I say suckered them into voting for him? :whistling:

Trump has bigger fish to fry now. :smile:

1 minute ago, Boon Mee said:

Trump has bigger fish to fry now. :smile:

It was one of his biggest comments during the elections.  Crooked Hillary.  Now, he's turning his back on it.  Right. 

But yes, bigger fish to fry.  How to make money for his billionaire friends, and those who donated big to his campaign.  Wasn't one of his slogans to "drain the swamp" in Washington?  Seems he's filling it up.  Another pledge his backtracking on.

13 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

From the OP:

I figure he meant it when he said it, but after he won he changed his mind. Why waste valuable time on a totally beaten foe?

1 minute ago, Ulysses G. said:

I figure he meant it when he said it, but after he won he changed his mind. Why waste valuable time on a totally beaten foe?

He has changed his mind on just about everything.   Muslims, immigration, the wall, Clinton, the Clinton foundation, showing his taxes.   The list is pretty long about what he has 'changed his mind' on.   

The jobs he will be creating will be for the 3 ring circus that will be traveling across the country.   

What a mess the man is.   He has no policies.   He has whims of the day.   

Just now, Ulysses G. said:

Because it shows his character.  Say one thing and do another, just to get elected.  As this thread shows, he's backtracking many things he promised.  Zero credibility.  He's not even in office yet and he's already broken so many promises it's hard to keep track! LOL

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/11/05/toronto_star_compiles_list_of_almost_500_trump_lies_during_campaign.html

Canadian Newspaper Compiles List of Almost 500 Trump Lies During Campaign

it's when he adapts ****Obama's***** overreaching reliance on executive orders, federal regulation codes and use of drones that ya really need to worry.  and the Football.

And I like Obama overall. it's really scary.

glad I'm here. kindof.

5 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

He has not changed his mind on Muslims, immigration, the wall. He might have modified a few things, but that is it. Personally, I prefer that he take more moderate positions.

He's backtracking on the wall.  Probably be a fence instead of the big wall he said he'd build.  Gotta love this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2016/11/21/yes-trump-will-build-his-border-wall-most-of-it-is-already-built/?utm_term=.db11387f72a3

It will not stop migrants from entering the country illegally — going over, under or around it, with many of them dying in the process. But when Trump supporters grumble that the wall is too porous, Trump will no doubt promise to make the wall even longer, taller and stronger in his second term.

Again, I'd be embarrassed if I voted for him.

http://fusion.net/story/371603/donald-trump-first-100-days-mexico-wall/

But what Trump didn’t say is far more interesting.

After months and months of pledging to build the border wall and make Mexico pay for it, Trump didn’t mention plans for his beloved wall at all.

In fact, the billionaire didn’t mention immigration–the single most important issue to his campaign–even once, with the closest he came being a vague promise to investigate “abuses of visa programs that undercut the American worker.”

5 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

He has not changed his mind on Muslims, immigration, the wall. He might have modified a few positions, but that is it.

He hasn't changed his mind on the wall?  Really?  Didin't he say he was going to get Mexico to pay for it?  And since when is a fence a wall?  

Donald Trump's ever-changing plan to build a wall along the country's southern border changed again Thursday, when the President-elect said that the construction won't have to span the entire border thanks to "vicious rivers" and "mountains." 

Trump evoked the natural elements during an interview with Fox News' Sean Hannity in Cincinnati, Ohio, where he had just kicked off his election win "Thank You" tour.

"Now, there are certain places you don't need a wall, because you have, you know, you have mountains, you have other things. You have large and rather vicious rivers," Trump said without specifying where those "vicious" sections of water might be.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-no-full-border-wall-thanks-vicious-rivers-article-1.2895264

19 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

Because that's what he does, he crushes and humiliates people.

6 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

He's backtracking on the wall.  Probably be a fence instead of the big wall he said he'd build.  Gotta love this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2016/11/21/yes-trump-will-build-his-border-wall-most-of-it-is-already-built/?utm_term=.db11387f72a3

I didn't vote for him, but I could care less if it is a wall or a fence or natural barriers. They all keep illegals out. Frankly, I do not understand why anyone else cares either.

Edited by Ulysses G.

5 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

He can easily promise a wall for his second term, and again they'll believe him.

Ivanka is also auctioning off a private coffee meeting with her to benefit her brother's foundation. The meeting is valued at $50,000, with the current top bid coming in at $25,000.

Coffee klatch with Ivanka..., think I prefer us ThaiVisa lot in the morning and no Secret Service :coffee1:

Edited by klauskunkel

1 minute ago, Ulysses G. said:

I didn't vote for him, but I could care less if it is a wall or a fence. They both keep illegals out. Frankly, I do not understand why anyone else cares either.

First of all, a wall and a fence are not the same. Ever try using a pair of wire cutters to get through a wall? Second, he said that where there are "vicious rivers" and mountains you won't need to put up a wall. 

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Can't see the different between what he doing now, to many other politicians who promised the world just to get elected and once in office, are blaming past governments mistakes and of course, rewarding his staunch supporters and donors, and this is only the beginning, nothing new under the sun here.....

The point is Trump was supposed to be different. He posed as an enemy of Wall Street. Instead it looks like he's going to be a huge benefactor to Wall Street.

3 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

First of all, a wall and a fence are not the same. Ever try using a pair of wire cutters to get through a wall? Second, he said that where there are "vicious rivers" and mountains you won't need to put up a wall. 

Ever tried wire cutters on a high security, expanded metal fence, augmented with razor wire?

Just now, Boon Mee said:

"Since winning office, Trump has said he has no intention of pushing for an investigation into Clinton's use of a private email server as secretary of State or the workings of her family foundation.

Once again the Huckster displays his massive ignorance. (As do the Lemmings)

The President has no power to "push  for an investigation". Or, to prosecute anyone.

Just hollow bluster. As is virtually everything that comes out of his record breaking lying mouth. :thumbsup:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article116377463.html

42 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

He's a con man who preyed on the gullibility of people to get himself elected. He told you what you wanted to hear, and you went for it, hook, line, and sinker. 

24 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

I didn't vote for him, but I could care less if it is a wall or a fence or natural barriers. They all keep illegals out. Frankly, I do not understand why anyone else cares either.

Agreed!  But if he said it'd be a wall, that doesn't mean a fence.  Another back track.  And no, fences don't keep illegals out.  I lived in San Diego for many years.  The fence was a joke.

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/wild-donald-trump-quotes/14/

During his candidacy announcement speech in June 2015, Donald Trump first proposed the idea of building a wall along America's southern border, adding that, due to his real estate experience, he was uniquely qualified for the job:

"I will build a great wall -- and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me --and I'll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words."

And, he'll make Mexico pay for it....right.  Gullible voters.