New immigration laws 2017 for people who live next to Thai border

25 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Please tell me where ASEAN has "open borders on paper" or where ASEAN has a stated goal of being an "open border Economic Community". You have simply taken the EU and incorrectly applied it to ASEAN, a very different beast. There are no open borders in ASEAN.

By obtaining tourist visas for Thailand, you can resolve this issue. Alternatively you could talk to Thai immigration in Pong Nam Ron who may decide not to enforce the rule in your case.

I get the feeling there may be greater opportunities for Thais to do some re-sale in the border-pass zones, soon. 

• Like 1

Frankly it's their country and they have the rights to edict whatever laws. even if that will damage their tourism industry. if they say twice a year it means you are not welcome here anymore, probably you must explore nearby options.

on the other hands, If all of you are interested to visit or live in Thailand it means those strict laws are bringing a lot of benefits(safety, jobs ..)to the society. otherwise you wont be coming here, and you will head somewhere else where visa laws are relaxed such as (Philippines, Panama, Spain, Portugal, etc..)

Europe has abolished all borders and welcomed all people around the world yet the economy is going down and the unemployment rate are soaring any coincidence ?

Edited by marcofunny

1 hour ago, reggaebkk said:

No... and Yes...
They are making ASEAN or not? They open borders on the paper but close them in reality. Once you are legally conducting business in an open border Economic Community, if you prevent some people from having the same business opportunities as others, it becomes discrimination.... which is actually a main trait of Thailand's attitude when dealing with foreigner businessmen anyway. 

As you are French, Asean doesn't change anything for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, reggaebkk said:

The multiple entry tourist visa could be a temporary solution but there is a limit of how many you can get per year right? And it's also a bother we don't need... only to go shopping a couple of days per month... And the Embassy is 600km away, it's a week lost and unnecessary expenses. 

I wish I could find the right person to explain the case withing the Thai authorities because this is a life changing measure for no reason at all from our point of view here. They would just need to allow holders of an Asean work permit to enter Thailand as many times as they want as long as we stay under X number of days per year, like it was until now without having to show anything. They never bothered us as long as we stayed in Thailand less than 90 days per year... which was even too long... I think I stay 20 to 30 days in Thailand every year... and only to go shopping... what the heck!! 

You will get no sympathy on this from Immigration.A one day shopping trip to Thailand for work purposes is not being a tourist,is it.One the other hand,Malaysians crossing the southern border for a dirty weekend are hardly legit but at least they are sex tourists.

Just now, reggaebkk said:

No... and Yes...
They are making ASEAN or not? They open borders on the paper but close them in reality. Once you are legally conducting business in an open border Economic Community, if you prevent some people from having the same business opportunities as others, it becomes discrimination.... which is actually a main trait of Thailand's attitude when dealing with foreigner businessmen anyway. 

ASEAN was not made to work and it wont.It is all front.

1 hour ago, Get Real said:

Just go back to original question. The normal thing right now is going to be 2 times. After that no more. just simlply understands it or just choose another country, How hard can it be?

How hard can it be to 'have to' uproot your family and move to 'another' country.

While I have no concrete solution to the OP's problem I do have sympathy.

Yahoo news reported today that the surge of tourists puts a huge strain Thailand's infrastructure. Time for tourists to give Vietnam and Indonesia some chances, I've been to Indonesia 15 times, cheap, friendly and beautiful yet very few people explores this country properly

Edited by marcofunny

16 hours ago, gamini said:

You could get a retirement Visa in Thailand and then a multiple  re-entry permit. That would solve your problem because you can travel back and forward as many times as you like

That might work as long as you are the right age, and do not mind renting a cheap apartment in Thailand (you need a residence to qualify for the extension). I would still worry a bit about limits they could impose on border crossings, even with the extension and re-entry permit. Poi Pet is claiming you will no longer be able to do it with multiple entry Non O visas.

7 hours ago, amjamj said:

Sorry but after almost 20 years in the region, you are still now able to pay an elite card ?

Are you sure that living here is a good choice for you ?!

Just asking...

Seriously, are you suggesting he purchases an Elite visa in order to facilitate his monthly shopping trip to Macro?

I do think the Elite visa is a logical solution for people who want to spend the bulk of their time in Thailand, but not for monthly shopping trips.

Once you accept the principle of national borders, negotiated and controlled by elites, of course you need to adapt to whatever conditions that implies. Some countries choose to have more or less closed borders. Some see value in keeping them open. Thailand seems to be moving towards a more closed model. I think they are being stupid, but it is up to them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Seriously, are you suggesting he purchases an Elite visa in order to facilitate his monthly shopping trip to Macro?

I do think the Elite visa is a logical solution for people who want to spend the bulk of their time in Thailand, but not for monthly shopping trips.

Once you accept the principle of national borders, negotiated and controlled by elites, of course you need to adapt to whatever conditions that implies. Some countries choose to have more or less closed borders. Some see value in keeping them open. Thailand seems to be moving towards a more closed model. I think they are being stupid, but it is up to them.

I can go and stay as long as I want in Thailand and in Cambodia, my life is very easy and I suggest to anyone who wants to stop asking stupid questions to just pay what it costs to feel free as much as I do !

Edited by amjamj

8 hours ago, overherebc said:

How hard can it be to 'have to' uproot your family and move to 'another' country.

While I have no concrete solution to the OP's problem I do have sympathy.

Who with a normal mind make a family here based on no means and a tourist visa. Great that you have a lot of sympathy. I just can´åt have that for people that don´t use the thing that they were provided with att birth that´s supposed to be over their shoulders. Mostly called a brain!

Why have sympathy for that. Where you and I come from that is called stupidity.

Everybody has control over their life, and are the ones that must plan for the future. Maybe it doesn´t work so well to do that if you drink too much, forget the rubber and make a baby same night. If you do that you can at least be man enough to man up and solve the problem without making a fool of yourself in a public forum.

Edited by Get Real

11 hours ago, marcofunny said:

Frankly it's their country and they have the rights to edict whatever laws. even if that will damage their tourism industry. if they say twice a year it means you are not welcome here anymore, probably you must explore nearby options.

on the other hands, If all of you are interested to visit or live in Thailand it means those strict laws are bringing a lot of benefits(safety, jobs ..)to the society. otherwise you wont be coming here, and you will head somewhere else where visa laws are relaxed such as (Philippines, Panama, Spain, Portugal, etc..)

Europe has abolished all borders and welcomed all people around the world yet the economy is going down and the unemployment rate are soaring any coisncidence ?

No not all Europe have open borders

op

i suggest you wait and see, don't expect the government to change its mind, maybe immigration at a quiet crossing will allow you more than the permitted 2 crossings.

also retirement extension in Thailand if you have the income, finding an address to use should not be hard, and that coupled with a multi re-entry permit will suit you, a bit of a mess around for the first one, but then plain sailing.

if not retirement it seems that there are a few things that you do while in Thailand, shopping, post office and bank, could you not organise an ATM card to save the bank side, spread out the shopping trips to 3 monthly, and do you collect or send mail from the post office.

I think that from all the posts here that actually offered constructive advice , the OP has a couple of options:

1) METV as a resident of Cambodia. Short visits, will likely be  looked upon favourably on each METV renewal, particularly if the op attaches a cover letter to his visa application summarising his previous trips and explaining that all he does in Thailand is short shopping trips. Shopping fits the definition of tourism.

2) Explaining his situation to one of the supervisors at the border post, perhaps showing his appreciation by way of a new year gift. Expensive scotch is generally well received, as I've found in the past.

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 3:08 PM, mstevens said:

Absolute rubbish.  It is nothing to do with money.  They are fed up with folks doing visa runs and this is just another measure they have introduced to make visa runs more different.  Sure, you could say they are using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but this is not about money.

Wouldn't that be a "visa-exempt run"? Where is the visa involved?

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 5:44 PM, reggaebkk said:

I understand if they are trying to protect themselves from people who would come to Thailand and work illegally or make dodgy business. They do a better job than most European nations to protect their people. Also they may have decided to remove the cheap long stay tourists who live on 5000 baht per month and who, in their mind, bring the image of the country down for the upscale tourism they want. It is their choice, their country after all. But in my situation, far from everything except Chanthaburi, I really feel trapped in the cross fire and it's very frustrating. If they have Asean, then they have to recognise the legality of work permit holders in other Asean countries and not handicap us. My competitors are also buying products in Thailand and this ends up being unfair practice... "no, the Farang has the right to work here but can't get supplies like his counterparts". 

ASEAN is one thing but you aren't an ASEAN citizen so I'm afraid the Thai authorities won't care much for your situation - they may facilitate the ease of entry of ASEAN citizens but not foreigners from third countries who happen to live in ASEAN countries, which is not the same thing. Why not just catch a cab to Phnom Penh, shouldn't take more than 4-5 hours from Pailin, apply for a METV that you are eligible for and which should get you up to 9 months usage (assuming you apply for 30 day extensions at the end of each 60 day entry) then re-entering Thailand the day before the visa expires you get 60 days, you could get a re-entry permit on that to keep it alive then a 30 day extension and re-entry permit to keep that entry alive? I don't see how a 2-3 day trip to Phnom Penh for a METV would be such a hassle, once in essentially 9 months, even a fairly busy person can manage that somehow. Not to mention I find it hard to believe that living in a small town like Pailin you wouldn't be traveling to Phnom Penh on a regular basis for other purposes anyway. Another possible option may be a travel agency who does your visa for you, so you don't have to leave Pailin.

Edited by jimster

On ‎12‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 8:48 PM, louse1953 said:

ASEAN was not made to work and it wont.It is all front.

If ASEAN was made to work, it's for the benefit of ASEAN citizens. As the OP is a French citizen, ASEAN is not designed for him. He incorrectly took the EU as an example and thought that ASEAN (or AEC) is the South-East Asian version of the European Union; it isn't.

• Like 2

On 1/17/2017 at 3:28 PM, jimster said:

ASEAN is one thing but you aren't an ASEAN citizen so I'm afraid the Thai authorities won't care much for your situation - they may facilitate the ease of entry of ASEAN citizens but not foreigners from third countries who happen to live in ASEAN countries, which is not the same thing. Why not just catch a cab to Phnom Penh, shouldn't take more than 4-5 hours from Pailin, apply for a METV that you are eligible for and which should get you up to 9 months usage (assuming you apply for 30 day extensions at the end of each 60 day entry) then re-entering Thailand the day before the visa expires you get 60 days, you could get a re-entry permit on that to keep it alive then a 30 day extension and re-entry permit to keep that entry alive? I don't see how a 2-3 day trip to Phnom Penh for a METV would be such a hassle, once in essentially 9 months, even a fairly busy person can manage that somehow. Not to mention I find it hard to believe that living in a small town like Pailin you wouldn't be traveling to Phnom Penh on a regular basis for other purposes anyway. Another possible option may be a travel agency who does your visa for you, so you don't have to leave Pailin.

By road, Pailin to Phnom Penh is about 7 hours, if you have your own transport (a full day on public transport). There is the option of flying on rather unsafe airlines. In the past, people living in Pailin would rarely go to Phnom Penh. It was quicker and more convenient to visit developed towns in Thailand. Admittedly, if the Thai authorities wish to prevent this, visiting Phnom Penh when Battambang is not sufficient may become more common.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Im sure ANY immigration guy is willing to go to Makro for u for a "fee". That case is solved. 

Im also sure the immigration guy can get your mail. For a fee. And bring to border. Solved too ?

The bank is also possible but trickier...

Edited by Mook23

Perhaps the OP should write to his own country's ambassadors in both Bangkok and Phnom Penh and ask them to raise the matter with the Thai Ambassador in Phnom Penh and the relevant ministry in Thailand. Certainly has more chance of being listened to than emails to random mailboxes.

On Friday, February 17, 2017 at 3:58 PM, Mook23 said:

Im sure ANY immigration guy is willing to go to Makro for u for a "fee". That case is solved. 

Im also sure the immigration guy can get your mail. For a fee. And bring to border. Solved too ?

The bank is also possible but trickier...

My first thought when reading this.

Why dont he get a Thai do those things and cross the border?

Or even get a Cambodian to do it for that matter?

Most would jump at the chance to earn a few baht and probably less expensive than the farang going himself.

I think many ways to solve the problem as he describe it, which make me think there is some other reason he wants to cross the border he doesnt tell us

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys, 

I'm just wondering if anyone has attempted to reenter Thailand without any issues? As I heard there was a new visa rule that was enforced recently (Two Border Runs Per Each Calendar Year)

I am a Filipino citizen residing in Malaysia. I have numerous Thai stamps on my passport so I am planning to use Sadao/Dannok border post while staying there for a night before heading back to Malaysia. I have been using this  border post since last year and relying on it up to now.

If that's the case, are there any alternatives that you guys are doing? What I have in mind is to fly to Had Yai (or Bangkok) then travel back to Malaysia overland.

Thanks guys, BTW I'm new to the forum :P