NO, not a Retirement/Marriage-VISA, Extension of stay it is!!!

6 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Actually to be technically comletely correct it shou;d be an extension of stay by reason of marriage or retirement

Whichever applies.

But I'm not getting into this old arguement again.

The name is not important the process invo;ved is the thing not what you call it.

What you call it is just a name you use to be understood by others.

Very true.

For the past 12 years I've never had a 'married visa' or a 'retirement visa' and I've never been to the local Imm' office for a 'married visa' or a ' retirement visa' or to extend them. I did once have B visa ME.

I've only been to Imm' local office to get Res Certs etc.

41 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

It does if we can actually educate people to give correct information so that they get the right advise.

It would be better if you quoted the whole post to put my comments into perspective. But even in your reply you have to look to be patronising "educate people".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Very true.

For the past 12 years I've never had a 'married visa' or a 'retirement visa' and I've never been to the local Imm' office for a 'married visa' or a ' retirement visa' or to extend them. I did once have B visa ME.

I've only been to Imm' local office to get Res Certs etc.

Great, you do not seem to be needing any help, so what is it you like to say in this subject??

One swallow doesn´t make a summer.....

Glegolo

19 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

555 you belive what you want if you have already heard many reasons then I expect my husbands will be in there somewhere. You missed one out if you don't want to go near immigration again then you don't have too. And to my husband that is a good reason. Yes we always combine leaving with iether a short break or a bigger holiday so it not a big thing. And yes we know people who can't put the 400k or 800K  on bank but that not make them as you say shortcomings whatever you mean by that. There are many reasons. Each person has his/her own reasons for doing non o or extension. Him like non o works for him.

3 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

But do they?? Or are they just to quick to jump in with "its not a marriage visa or retirement visa"  How exactly do that help anyone asking question. And yes it does happen a lot standard answer then no other help. Then there are patronising posts such as yours here, It does not help.

I do not know here, who I am responding to,,, the missus or the falang, But anyhow,,,  to answer about the patronising thing.... So teaching people is patronising... So learning is a stupid thing then, is it??

I cant really grasp some of the answers here, they are almost getting angry when in plain words some posters putting their fingers right on the spot.... Learn and live can be a good thing, you know... And by the way, it is free of charge!!!

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

8 minutes ago, glegolo said:

I do not know here, who I am responding to,,, the missus or the falang, But anyhow,,,  to answer about the patronising thing.... So teaching people is patronising... So learning is a stupid thing then, is it??

I cant really grasp some of the answers here, they are almost getting angry when in plain words some posters putting their fingers right on the spot.... Learn and live can be a good thing, you know... And by the way, it is free of charge!!!

Glegolo

You and your words are patronising not the thread you sometime speak as though other posters are ignorant and you the only one who is correct . Yes mixed up words can put diffrent perspective on things such married visa instead of extension based on married. But words such as " actually educate people" and "the mrs or the falang" the way to put things in your posts comes across as very patronising in my opinion.

the 2 posts here you quote are very diffrent responses to two diffrent type question. Yes sometime I ask my husband about thing in English so I understand. Teaching is a good thing taught right of course not being preached at. 

18 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

You and your words are patronising not the thread you sometime speak as though other posters are ignorant and you the only one who is correct . Yes mixed up words can put diffrent perspective on things such married visa instead of extension based on married. But words such as " actually educate people" and "the mrs or the falang" the way to put things in your posts comes across as very patronising in my opinion.

the 2 posts here you quote are very diffrent responses to two diffrent type question. Yes sometime I ask my husband about thing in English so I understand. Teaching is a good thing taught right of course not being preached at. 

I am sorry if it seems to be patronising. But in fact as I see it,, first post was written by a thai-person, and the second was written by an native english speaker.... Thereof my question..But what do I know??

Sorry anyhow, again then... teaching and learning is not a punishment, it is a good thing.... 

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

15 minutes ago, glegolo said:

I am sorry if it seems to be patronising. But in fact as I see it,, first post was written by a thai-person, and the second was written by an native english speaker.... Thereof my question..But what do I know??

Sorry anyhow, again then... teaching and learning is not a punishment, it is a good thing.... 

Glegolo

Both write by me not a falang however as I say in last post I sometime need help which my husband helps with.

6 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

But do they?? Or are they just to quick to jump in with "its not a marriage visa or retirement visa"  How exactly do that help anyone asking question. And yes it does happen a lot standard answer then no other help. Then there are patronising posts such as yours here, It does not help.

What would you like them to say?

You yourself have stated that your husband is on a Non Imm O ME Visa, which is his choice and is quite often referred to as a Marriage Visa. However the majority of questions posted about Marriage Visas are actually about extensions based on marriage, which are not Visas at all, but permits.

If you ask about renewing a Non Imm O ME based on marriage, the advise would be to go to Savannakhet or similar.

If you ask about renewing an extension of stay based on marriage, the advice would be to go to your local Immigration office.

If you ask about a Marriage Visa, I'm sorry but Mystic Meg isn't a member anymore.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dentonian said:

What would you like them to say?

You yourself have stated that your husband is on a Non Imm O ME Visa, which is his choice and is quite often referred to as a Marriage Visa. However the majority of questions posted about Marriage Visas are actually about extensions based on marriage, which are not Visas at all, but permits.

If you ask about renewing a Non Imm O ME based on marriage, the advise would be to go to Savannakhet or similar.

If you ask about renewing an extension of stay based on marriage, the advice would be to go to your local Immigration office.

If you ask about a Marriage Visa, I'm sorry but Mystic Meg isn't a member anymore.

Yes but if you read my post what I say is they don't ask the say only "no such thing as married visa or retirement visa" and that's it end of posts. 

Surley a quick question can I ask what you require non o visa or extension based on xxxxx. Some people english not first language as me sometimes we think we put down the right thing only to find it wrong. Not meant to upset people or cause horrible answers. I hope this make sense.

Just now, whilst looking for something else, I found the Immigration Bureau's Foreign Language Manual on their website:

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/2notice/20140117_EN4IMM.pdf

Enjoy!

No wonder a lot of immigration officers got the terminology wrong, saying "visa" when they mean "permission to stay" or "extension of stay"

In case the link should go dead in future, here is the PDF file as an attachment:

Immigration Bureau - Foreign Language Manual.pdf

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

" So I don't see why people cannot call it a visa extension. "

You quite emphatically contradicted this statement.

Are you saying that an extension of stay can be obtained without having held a visa and that visa details need not be supplied on the TM7?

If the visa detail is required then the correct terminology would be 'Extension of stay to my Non O visa', or whatever type of visa was used.

You really should be more careful about trying to lecture people on the use of the English language.

I am careful, really careful, But you do not seem to grasp the concept of VISA and extensions.

With i.e. a Non Immigrant "O"-VISA, you can during the last month of validity, apply for an extension of stay based on marriage or Retirement. OK you follow??

When you enter Thailands soil, you will be granted a PERIOD OF STAY by the Imigrant-officer. This period of stay is for normally 3 month in this case.

NOW you are in Thailand granted a PERIOD OF STAY OK??? So what happens next???? Yes you go with your TM7 to your local immigration-office, and apply for an extension of stay, in other word an EXTENSION OF YOUR PERIOD OF STAY.....

So this is why it is called EXTENSION OF STAY, it has nothing to do with your VISA, nothing more than that you need to have one "in the buttom",,, to be able to apply for an EXTENSION OF STAY....

With this careful explanation, I do hope you understand....

Thanks

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:05 PM, sandyf said:

" So I don't see why people cannot call it a visa extension. "

You quite emphatically contradicted this statement.

Are you saying that an extension of stay can be obtained without having held a visa and that visa details need not be supplied on the TM7?

If the visa detail is required then the correct terminology would be 'Extension of stay to my Non O visa', or whatever type of visa was used.

You really should be more careful about trying to lecture people on the use of the English language.

Because you cannot extend a Visa.

You only extend your permission to stay.

An 'extension of stay based on marriage or retirement.' gives permission to stay for another 365 days.

An extension of stay to a Non O Visa would give you an extra 30 days permission to stay.

Edited by dentonian
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, dentonian said:

An 'extension of stay based on marriage or retirement.' gives permission to stay for another 365 days.

An extension of stay to a Non O Visa would give you an extra 30 days permission to stay.

Only if you asked for 30 days, it's usually 60 days on singles and multis.

If it's a single entry you could get a year either based on being married or on being retired, you would of course show x money or income for either. 

When you get that extension/permission to stay your single entry O visa is gone, dead, useless. All you can do with it is look at it and admire its pretty colours and hologram. It most likely will have 'used' written on as well.

On further extensions/permissions to stay its number may be asked for to check your extension/permission to stay has been based on it and it was real.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

A very clear example of why a visa is not extended,

If you enter Thailand with a multi non O visa and in/out every 90 days your visa conditions are being followed.

Lets say the enter by date is 31december.

You leave and enter on the 29/30th and you get another 90 days. These 90 days will take you to March, probably some time in the last week of March. People wrongly say they have extended their visa.

If you leave and return during the second week in January without getting a re-entry permit you will get 30 days visa exempt. That is because your visa died on the 31st of December.

If you get a re-entry permit you will on return be stamped in again until the last week in March.

If as people say 'you extended your visa' then the 90 days would be given to you again taking you through to April sometime.

The 90 days you get on the 30th of December is a 90 day extension of stay based on a still vaid visa that will be dead the following day and you cannot bring it back to life.

1 hour ago, glegolo said:

OK guys, I think Sandyf finally got it now....

otherwise I do not know what to do in order to educate him....

Glegolo

My old RSM would say he was going to write it on a bit of paper and ram in your ear with his Pace Stick. ?

1 hour ago, glegolo said:

OK guys, I think Sandyf finally got it now....

otherwise I do not know what to do in order to educate him....

Glegolo

Hope you don't mind me saying to others that the whole point of this thread was actually to help people get the right answers to their visa/extension problems.

I know what your intention was as it's something I try to point out to people I know, not just on TV.

I've enjoyed it anyway, even learned a couple of things.

All the best for 2017 to all.

17 hours ago, dentonian said:

And your answer to the question is...

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

And your answer to the question is...

No, I've never stated that.

The operative word to your question is 'held' and not 'holding' a Visa.

Personally I enter my Passport details, then in the 'kind of Visa' section I write 'extension based on retirement', because I no longer hold a valid Visa.

Edited by dentonian

1 hour ago, dentonian said:

No, I've never stated that.

The operative word to your question is 'held' and not 'holding' a Visa.

Personally I enter my Passport details, then in the 'kind of Visa' section I write 'extension based on retirement', because I no longer hold a valid Visa.

But, But, But - we have 8 pages telling us an Extension is Not a Visa 55555!

Do you provide a copy of the last Visa you entered the country with?