Buying low-end smartphone in Thailand

BEngBKK

Hi

My old Samsung Note II is soon going on retirement..

I was thinking to try a non-Samsung Android smartphone so....

Are the Oppo, Lava, Huawai, ZTE, ASUS  any good and can anybody recommend/warn about any of these brands ??

Many of the mobile phone of these brands have been targeting the Thai market, so...
Are there any problems using the mobile phones outside Thailand ?

:jap: 

Asus Zenphones have a lot of fans on this forum. They have a huge number of model variations so best to read up on them before shopping. Huawai's get a lot of good press and are known for reliability.

"Fortune City" above the Rama-9 MRT is a good place to shop, 2nd floor.  Most models with prices on display.

I would check out Xiaomi phones, they get great reviews and cost about half of what comparable Samsung and Apple phones cost. Oppo and Huawei phones are not that cheap. 

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/android-smartphones/xiaomi-mi-5-review-extraordinary-value-android-phone-rivals-galaxy-s7-3637966/

I bought a 1200 Baht Lava smartphone for friends to use when they visit. It's okay, but doesn't impress me enough to buy a higher end model and the battery life sucks. 

Any newer GSM phone should work well outside of Thailand as long as the operating frequency of your phone is compatible with mobile provider frequencies in the countries you plan on going to, most are. 

On 01/01/2017 at 8:23 AM, BEngBKK said:

My old Samsung Note II is soon going on retirement..

I was thinking to try a non-Samsung Android smartphone so....

Perhaps you have a reason for going from what was a high end phone to a low end? I recently swapped my Note 2 that was giving hardware faults after 4 years for a Huawei Mate 9. Both cost about the same when new. Transition took very little time and very pleased so far.

1 minute ago, Digitalbanana said:

Perhaps you have a reason for going from what was a high end phone to a low end? I recently swapped my Note 2 that was giving hardware faults after 4 years for a Huawei Mate 9. Both cost about the same when new. Transition took very little time and very pleased so far.

I'm considering buying a low-end smartphone in addition to my high end smart phone because I'm sick of swapping my US SIM card in and out of the one phone I've got every time my bank back home wants to send me a One Time Password when I transact with them

I bought a 5" Lava smartphone, good deal from AIS as my old 2G phone had to be replaced...

1 year on, is OK does all I need, my Partner [always had for year a Samsung] now has a new Samsung J2 is easier to use than the Lava

46 minutes ago, SaintLouisBlues said:

I'm considering buying a low-end smartphone in addition to my high end smart phone because I'm sick of swapping my US SIM card in and out of the one phone I've got every time my bank back home wants to send me a One Time Password when I transact with them

Buy a two sim card phone?

One plus 3 has been getting raving reviews all over as best bang for your buck phone. It's not really low end but I find that usually in the end you get what you pay for though Apple is somewhat pushing the limit of that theory hehehe. 

11 minutes ago, naboo said:

Have a Wiko, I don't think there is better value for money at around 5000B. Only complaint is the battery life, lasts a day.

A U Feel cost me 6990B in August I think.

WIKO is a French brand and VERY popular in Europe as they offer fantastic value for money, the latest android, plus have a very friendly update-policy. And a very clean android version, no stupid bloatware and pre-installed rubbish that is eating your internal 16GB before you even start downloading apps. They are rapidly growing their market share in Thailand for a reason.

The RONNY (2016 model) costs just 3.690 Baht and comes with a 5.5" screen and android 6.0. 16 GB internal. camera not highest class but hey, it costs 3.690 Baht only! Highly recommended

Edited by siam2007

Here is a cheap phone on Amazon.com if you have someone with Amazon Prime to buy it for you  ,

this is the USA model , not sure if the LTE bands will work  well in Thailand

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H2E0J5M/ref=twister_B01G7TG6SW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

maybe there is a Euro version on Amazon UK

its 50% less because it has lock screen ads , which do not bother me on my Amazon Fire

5 hours ago, siam2007 said:

WIKO is a French brand and VERY popular in Europe as they offer fantastic value for money, the latest android, plus have a very friendly update-policy. And a very clean android version, no stupid bloatware and pre-installed rubbish that is eating your internal 16GB before you even start downloading apps. They are rapidly growing their market share in Thailand for a reason.

The RONNY (2016 model) costs just 3.690 Baht and comes with a 5.5" screen and android 6.0. 16 GB internal. camera not highest class but hey, it costs 3.690 Baht only! Highly recommended

where do they sell them ?  and do you have a link for the Specs ?

its not on Amazon

thanks

I do not appreciate the large format phones (Trump small hands I guess) and was just given a ZTE Blade L110 to get me to switch to 3G from my old Nokia 2G.  Must say it has been a much more pleasant experience than my attempt with a more expensive/larger smart phone and seems to work well.  

13 hours ago, oldcarguy said:

where do they sell them ?  and do you have a link for the Specs ?

its not on Amazon

thanks

lazada has many local Thai vendors selling them, just search the lazada website for WIKO and then the model you r interested in, such as UFEEL or ROBBY. The specifications can be found with every offer.

Wiko Thailand does not have an English version of their website, but the Malaysian website is in English and lists all models:  http://my-en.wikomobile.com/f-wiko-all-products

www.numchai.com sells them in their stores too, a small reputable chain in Chonburi province, but they don't have all WIKO models listed on their website

Edited by siam2007
error

A few weeks back, my new (2016) Huawei froze for the hundredth time so I spent 5990 baht on an ASUS Zenphone selfie with about the same specs.  I'm astounded at the difference a decent OS makes.  Loving the ASUS.  The Huawei has been relegated to a 4G tethering router.  (Both of them are dual SIM, BTW)

Both of them run circles around the 16,000 baht Samsung S2 I retired because I couldn't get 8 hours out of the battery.  I didn't realize what a dinosaur it had become that a newer, low end phone costing a lot less less than half the money would be so much better.

Something may come out that changes my mind later, but I don't ever see myself buying a high end (>10,000 baht) phone again.  The marginal improvement in the specs is dwarfed by the difference in the price.  In fairness, I don't use my phones for heavy duty computing- just communication and entertainment.

Edited by impulse