Form TM28 or Form TM30 required on re-entry?

This issue arose in another thread about leaving Thailand generally, but I'm starting afresh to focus on this one point.  So:

1.  It seems some immigration offices are requiring expats to submit a Form TM28 (change of address) or Form TM30 (notification of address) within 24 hours of re-entering Thailand.  So far it seems Chaeng Wattana does not.  Any recent experience with this?  Please no posts about whether you think that it should be required (legally or otherwise).  The question is whether the offices are in fact demanding it.

2. If yes to above, has anyone had experience submitting the form by mail rather than in person?

Cheers

TG

• Like 1

1. TM28 perhaps Chiang Mai and Phuket. Random reports of Pattaya. Others about zero.

TM30 a few but not all that many.

2. TM28 not likely at any office.. TM30 a few offices may allow it. The immigration act does not mention any allowance to do them by mail.

You have to show proof of new address when changing, so TM28's cannot be mailed.

TM30's can be mailed if your office will accept them.

The notification of residence of foreign nationals is made by the manager of licensed hotels according to the hotel act, owners of guesthouses, mansions, apartments and rented houses using the form TM. 30.
The notification of residence of foreign nationals within 24 hours can be made in a number of ways to make the notification as convenient as possible:

• In person at the respective office, or
  • Through an authorised person at the respective office, or
  • By registered mail, or
  • Via internet.

http://immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=alienstay

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TSF said:

There have been a few reports on the Korat Expats forum by different people who have been fined and reprimanded for not doing these forms. 

Amnat Charoen and Roi Et both now enforcing filing a TM30 when returning from abroad.

Orders from above!

For filing TM30 on "return from abroad" is there any distinction between those who got a re-entry permit before leaving, and those whose entry is made under some other conditions? It does seem unnecessary, if you're returning to the same address, to have to go back to the office where you got the permit just to tell them you're back, when the entry is recorded on their computer and your address is on the TM8 application for re-entry permit.

You have to show proof of new address when changing, so TM28's cannot be mailed.

TM30's can be mailed if your office will accept them.
The notification of residence of foreign nationals is made by the manager of licensed hotels according to the hotel act, owners of guesthouses, mansions, apartments and rented houses using the form TM. 30.
The notification of residence of foreign nationals within 24 hours can be made in a number of ways to make the notification as convenient as possible:

• In person at the respective office, or
  • Through an authorised person at the respective office, or
  • By registered mail, or
  • Via internet.
http://immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=alienstay

Can't find a link to the url so I'm assuming the Internet option is for hotels etc...

10 minutes ago, JB300 said:

Can't find a link to the url so I'm assuming the Internet option is for hotels etc...

There are few immigration offices that will register individuals but it is mostly for hotels and such.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JB300 said:

The internet option is available mainly for businesses, hotels, guesthouses etc, but also available to landlords of private dwellings.

My office will register anyone regarded as 'house master' for the online facility, if they have to report an alien who may come and go frequently.

From the webpage of the url, switch from Eng - Thai (top right of page, underneath download forms).

The online site is advertised in the left column (Thai only)

41 minutes ago, dentonian said:

The internet option is available mainly for businesses, hotels, guesthouses etc, but also available to landlords of private dwellings.

My office will register anyone regarded as 'house master' for the online facility, if they have to report an alien who may come and go frequently.

From the webpage of the url, switch from Eng - Thai (top right of page, underneath download forms).

The online site is advertised in the left column (Thai only)

This is the site address: https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/

But it will be of no use unless registered plus it has been down for almost 2 weeks along with the online 90 day reporting site. Immigrations extranet has been taken down.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

This is the site address: https://extranet.immigration.go.th/fn24online/

But it will be of no use unless registered plus it has been down for almost 2 weeks along with the online 90 day reporting site. Immigrations extranet has been taken down.

Makes a mockery of the recent enforcements when Immigration can't maintain the online function.

5 minutes ago, jphasia said:

This TM28 or TM30 (don't know what is it) are for people on extension of stay, staying than 90 days, not for the multiple entry visa, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrong

7 minutes ago, jphasia said:

This TM28 or TM30 (don't know what is it) are for people on extension of stay, staying than 90 days, not for the multiple entry visa, right?

No, it applies to all aliens entering Thailand.

However if your on a Visa type that doesn't require you to report or visit an Immigration office ............their not likely to come to you.

Edited by dentonian

No, it applies to all aliens entering Thailand.
However if your on a Visa type that doesn't require you to report to Immigration...........your invisible.

Ok. That's was my question. I am on Non O 1 year multi entry (based on Thai child). I am working in neighbor country and then in / out of Thailand very of often ( mostly every weekend and few weeks during vacations).
About 2 years ago, while I needed a certificate of residence (for banking purpose), the immigration office asked to get my address register first: owner to fill a form, copy tabien baan, ID... it was easy as my son is the owner of my house. They stappled a paper "notification of alien..." in my passport and asked me to keep it always. That's it. Since, i have been in and out of the country multiple times, got new passport and new non O multi entry but never been to report my address again to immigration office again. My address in Thailand has always been the same for the last 15 years and I might stay in hotel only when I am in Bangkok some weekend or travelling within Thailand while on vacation.
Am I missing something or should I have something else to do?

• Thanks 1

I changed my residence from Phrae to Bangkok where I would be living with my gf. We submitted TM28 and TM30 by post to CW and included an SAE for the receipt. No proof of new address was included. We received the receipts four days later.

• Like 2

Ok. That's was my question. I am on Non O 1 year multi entry (based on Thai child). I am working in neighbor country and then in / out of Thailand very of often ( mostly every weekend and few weeks during vacations).
About 2 years ago, while I needed a certificate of residence (for banking purpose), the immigration office asked to get my address register first: owner to fill a form, copy tabien baan, ID... it was easy as my son is the owner of my house. They stappled a paper "notification of alien..." in my passport and asked me to keep it always. That's it. Since, i have been in and out of the country multiple times, got new passport and new non O multi entry but never been to report my address again to immigration office again. My address in Thailand has always been the same for the last 15 years and I might stay in hotel only when I am in Bangkok some weekend or travelling within Thailand while on vacation.
Am I missing something or should I have something else to do?

#Logically/Thechnically#...

1) You arrive in Thailand & return to your last registered address so house master should complete a TM30.

2) You arrive in Thailand & stay in a hotel (who will register the TM30 for you) & then go home, House Master should register a TM30 for you.

But they've been a bit lapse around enforcing the rules & now things are changing in some places (Phuket, CM, HH, Patts/Jomtien amongst others)

10 hours ago, dentonian said:

Makes a mockery of the recent enforcements when Immigration can't maintain the online function.

I and others think it was taken down as a defensive measure because of the recent attacks on government  sites by hackers.

8 hours ago, popsie said:

I changed my residence from Phrae to Bangkok where I would be living with my gf. We submitted TM28 and TM30 by post to CW and included an SAE for the receipt. No proof of new address was included. We received the receipts four days later.

Hmmm...Because they still owe me both receipts.....Grrrr.

#Logically/Thechnically#...

1) You arrive in Thailand & return to your last registered address so house master should complete a TM30.

2) You arrive in Thailand & stay in a hotel (who will register the TM30 for you) & then go home, House Master should register a TM30 for you.

But they've been a bit lapse around enforcing the rules & now things are changing in some places (Phuket, CM, HH, Patts/Jomtien amongst others)

1) ok. Mostly I arrive at home on Friday evening and leaving early Monday morning. I don't imagine my 17 years old son register "TM30" to immigration... however, when i am going at home, the address I fill in my arrival card is my home. + I have this "notification of alien" in my passport which is the same address". + this same address is in my passport

2) if I am not going back home, let say I spend a weekend in Bangkok, I fill the address in the hotel where i am staying and i give my passport to the hotel for check in. They usually make a copy if the passport including the entry stamp. I used to own an hotel in Thailand and I know hotels are required to register every foreigner which I believe they are doing.

So I believe I am on the safe side. I believe the main point is to let the immigration know where you are staying.

TM-30 is now needed for Renewal of Retirement Visa.

My Visa agency told me I need TM-30 for my renewal at the end of 1/2560.

My landlord is going to register me today.

Edited by themerg

17 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I've not heard of any reports of TM30 being required for anything at CW.  It's only a few Immigration Offices that require one (particularly Chiang Mai).

I was interested to read themerg's edited post that his "visa agent" has told him it's required. A friend of mine also uses a visa agent for a CW extension and they've told him for the past two years that a TM30 is required and, moreover, they then register him as living at an address they supply. There is, needless to say, an additional fee for this personal service as they go with him to CW with all the (fraudulent) paperwork

Edited by SaintLouisBlues

1 hour ago, jphasia said:

1) ok. Mostly I arrive at home on Friday evening and leaving early Monday morning. I don't imagine my 17 years old son register "TM30" to immigration... however, when i am going at home, the address I fill in my arrival card is my home. + I have this "notification of alien" in my passport which is the same address". + this same address is in my passport

2) if I am not going back home, let say I spend a weekend in Bangkok, I fill the address in the hotel where i am staying and i give my passport to the hotel for check in. They usually make a copy if the passport including the entry stamp. I used to own an hotel in Thailand and I know hotels are required to register every foreigner which I believe they are doing.

So I believe I am on the safe side. I believe the main point is to let the immigration know where you are staying.

About 3 years ago Phuket Immi started checking alien's address registration.

Hearing about this my long-term partner and I filled out TM30 and TM28 with all papers attached.

On handing these in they rejected them and made us fill out a badly phrased form of their own, printed on the back of their old pay records - TIT!

However I did receive the "Receipt of Notification of Aliens Address"pinned into the front of my passport.

I return to our residence (her land, my house) and don't file anything other than the TM6 at entry and TM47 (90 day reports).

• Like 1

Whether the housemaster chooses to file the TM30 each time you return is up to them/you.
The only person likely to visit Immigration is yourself, so if they choose to fine, it will more than likely come from your pocket.

Personally I have always completed a new TM6 and filed a new TM30 when re-entering Thailand, even before the enforcement. I've only ever  filed a TM28 when I've changed my permanent dwelling place.
That is due to my own interpretation of the Immigration Act.
We may not always agree with the laws and procedures we're subjected to as a foreigner in Thailand, but it's something we have to accept if you want a stress free life here.

Yes fully agree with you. That's the reason I am always trying to follow the news and updates about immigration and law in Thailand as I just want to follow the rules and I fully accept that.
By TM28 and TM30, you mean the form that they ask you to fill to register your address and get this notification of alien receipt?
By TM6, you mean arrival form that you need to fill when you arrive in Thailand?

The TM28 should be completed by the alien and is to notify Immigration of a permanent change of address.

My very first address was notified using the TM6 arrival/departure card.

I have moved twice since then, so completed two TM28's at two different Immigration offices.

The TM30 is for the person regarded as the 'housemaster' to complete, notifying Immigration of an alien taking up residence at a particular dwelling. Hotels, guesthouses complete this online for all visitors. Private dwelling places usually need to file in person or by post. As two of my previous landlords haven't been available, I always completed and submitted the TM30's myself as the 'tenant' of the dwelling places.

Receipts are given for both the TM28 and the TM30's.

Read sections, 4, 37 and 38 of the Immigration Act to familiarise yourself with the different requirements.

Thai Immigration Act 2522en-immigration.pdf

You can download the TM28 and TM30 here for your observation.

http://immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

Edited by dentonian
  • Like 1

The TM28 should be completed by the alien and is to notify Immigration of a permanent change of address.
My very first address was notified using the TM6 arrival/departure card.
I have moved twice since then, so completed two TM28's at two different Immigration offices.

The TM30 is for the person regarded as the 'housemaster' to complete, notifying Immigration of an alien taking up residence at a particular dwelling. Hotels, guesthouses complete this online for all visitors. Private dwelling places usually need to file in person or by post. As two of my previous landlords haven't been available, I always completed and submitted the TM30's myself as the 'tenant' of the dwelling places.

Receipts are given for both the TM28 and the TM30's.

Read sections, 4, 37 and 38 of the Immigration Act to familiarise yourself with the different requirements.
Thai Immigration Act 2522en-immigration.pdf

You can download the TM28 and TM30 here for your observation.
http://immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

Thanks. Very clear.
So I have done this TM28 and TM30 with my son as the "housemaster" 2 or 3 years ago when they re-inforced it in Phuket and I am filling properly the TM6 everytime I am landing in Thailand. I have always stay at the same permanent address since the last 15 years as we own the land and house (actually officially my son who is Thai)

On 1/4/2017 at 9:24 AM, dentonian said:

I see in the Act that the definition of  "House Master" includes "tenant" so I agree there is a good argument that the obligation under s. 38 of the Act to file a Form 30 would fall on the foreign tenant as well as the owner.  However, I note that in the link you gave further above to the Immigration Bureau website, there is no reference to tenants:  " The notification of residence of foreign nationals is made by the manager of licensed hotels according to the hotel act, owners of guesthouses, mansions, apartments and rented houses using the form TM. 30."  This suggests that the Bureau itself does not read the phrase “house master” to include tenants for purposes of s. 38 of the Act.  Given that the English translation of the Act is not itself binding and contains many errors, I would think one is justified in relying on a government summary such as the link, rather than feel compelled to dig into the English statute to discover one's obligations.  In any case, so far in 5 years on a retirement extension of stay I’ve never been asked for a Form TM30 at Chaeng Wattana (which seems to be the experience of most others at CW).   While I understand the desire to fully comply with requirements, my concern about people filing these forms when not asked (and given that the Bureau's own website seems not to require them) is that it could encourage immigration offices to start expecting and demanding them, rather than relying on the Form TM6 arrival card as notification of address on entry.