Screaming Panic As Fire Rains Down On Koh Phangan ‘Full Moon’ NYE Party (Video)

webfact

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

"Reached for comment, Lt. Col. Somsak Noorod of Ko Phangan police said there could not have been fireworks on New Year’s Eve as fireworks are banned."

Must be the husband of the woman that sold the land to her sister and then cut all the trees down saying that she did not sell the trees. Has to be related somewhere. 

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Watching the videos, especially the last one on the Khaosod webpage, I'd say it's pretty clear there WERE fireworks/pyrotechnics at the event, notwithstanding the stupidly official comment.

Heads in the sand or somewhere else the sun don't shine. What else is new? 

Sad about the young Canuck. I suppose that, according to RTP,  he didn't actually die on account there were no fireworks and there was no party. 

In any case, RIP. Condolences to loved ones of the deceased. 

I stood out of the back of a house from 11.50pm till 12.15am on NYE and must have counted about 20 firework displays. This was near Lom Sak. I assume there were no fireworks in Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Pattaya where the police had strict observance of the law. LOL

59 minutes ago, oldrunner said:

Today's young people are stupid. Just what in the hell do you expect when you come to a foreign country, get smashed or drugged, climb on each other's shoulders, mash together, have your money stolen as well as your cell phone and get groped, scream and holler, fall down and get stepped on and you call it FUN. On top of that some "person" in authority assures you that there were no Fireworks, despite what you see. There are definite benefits to being an "Oldrunner". We also had lots of fun but  we also had a great deal of common sense. If it starts to look dangerous, IT IS, get out or away.

You seldom get real old if dumb. Too soon oldt; too late schmart. If something was out there that ate stupid people........

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

"Reached for comment, Lt. Col. Somsak Noorod of Ko Phangan police said there could not have been fireworks on New Year’s Eve as fireworks are banned."

I wonder if Lt. Col. Somsak Noorod reads the Mirror?:cheesy:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/footage-shows-horror-moment-fireworks-9548397

or maybe The Sun:

"The 21-year-old Canadian tourist was pulled unconscious from the sea along with another injured woman but he later died."

"Some have even reported that locals attempted to pickpocket panicked tourists trapped in the crowd.

Emma Werthers Leeworthy said she "caught a Thai man trying to pickpocket my phone too."

"Today organizers posted a slick film of the event on Facebook which glossed over the trauma suffered by hundreds of party-goers.

An event spokesperson told The Sun that they used fewer fireworks than normal and that they are not aware of anyone being injured."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2515010/fireworks-rain-down-on-screaming-crowd-as-new-years-eve-celebrations-at-full-moon-party-in-thailand-go-horribly-wrong/

Both newspapers are now likely to be sued for defamation by TAT and will then join the Daily Mail on the MOI "Banned In Thailand' ever growing list of non-Thai media outlets.

3 hours ago, lvr181 said:

OMG and the policeman is a Lt. Col? He should be busted down to probationary idiot! Jeez, where does the RTP get these people and then promote them?

Where does the RTP get these people and then promote them?

Where do these people in the RTP get their promotions?

6 hours ago, twizzian said:

What distance was the Safety barrier from the 'FIREWORKS' to the hundreds of people near it?

Oops" nearly forgot, there is no safety concerns here!

Or barrier.

Of course there was no barrier because there wasn't any fireworks. The police officer explained it.

All in the imagination. Why farang no unnerstan?

Dang these wiley whippersnappers! How dare they try and party! Back in my day, we never combined alcohol or drugs with celebrations or parties! Back in the good ole days of the entire 20th century, alcohol was only served at sporting events and drugs were only consumed by aliens and rock stars!!! Shame on these youngsters for trying to have fun!!

5 hours ago, joebrown said:

I assume there were no fireworks in Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Pattaya where the police had strict observance of the law. LOL

FWIW, we live in central BKK and in past years, of course, lots of NYE gunfire and fireworks all over the place.  However, this year, at least from our location, I didn't hear a peep outside at midnight or any time thereabouts. Not a single pop or flash... To my surprise and amazement.

7 hours ago, sanemax said:

It wasnt actually a full moon, so it wasnt a full moon party .

It was a NYE party

...on a beach where the full moon has been marked every month without exception for around a quarter of a century!

18 minutes ago, evadgib said:

...on a beach where the full moon has been marked every month without exception for around a quarter of a century!

Yes, but traditionally when its a full moon , as in "Full moon party" , it wasnt a full moon on NYE , far from it, not even close . So, this NYEs party was a FMP in disguise.

How can you have a full moon party when the moon isnt full ?

10 hours ago, joebrown said:

Both newspapers are now likely to be sued for defamation by TAT and will then join the Daily Mail on the MOI "Banned In Thailand' ever growing list of non-Thai media outlets.

All over the Australian media as well, yes TAT are going to be extremely pissed at foreign media.  Prayuth needs to get that single gateway bubble over Thailand real quick.  Nothing going in or out.  May have to confiscate all recording devices from tourists as well.

Edited by Thechook

This is now the top story on the New Zealand Herald. So it is spreading quickly. I have seen reports of broken ankles from stampedes.

I remember seeing an article somewhere from a fireworks company on Samui/Phangan saying that they couldn't get permits for displays this year because of the mourning period and recommended these signs instead because they looked impressive without being visible from a long distance.