My first car accident

I had my first car accident yesterday evening. I was driving my pickup on a country road and then slowed down as we were a bit lost. I basically pulled over to the left side and more or less stopped suddenly and put my hazard lights on. 2 seconds later a moped bike slammed into the back of me.

The girls bike was damaged quite bad and she ended up having a fractured / broken arm. We offered to take her to the hospital but it turned out that she wanted an ambulance. I called the insurance company and the police ended up turning up as well. She was taken off to the hospital and we ended up spending over 2 hours at the local police station.

The legal onus was on her because she ran up the back of me. She wasn’t wearing a helmet and the bike had no plates, tax/registration.

When walking out the girls family were there. The mother said that she didn’t have any money- or something to that effect. I cant remember exactly what was said but I think she said that if our insurance company doesn’t cover the damage they don’t have money either. Or maybe she was hinting at me giving some money but that was not going to happen. The wife kept quiet during the short conversation and we mentioned that we might visit the girl the following day.

After I claim for this damage and get my car fixed does it mean that my premium is going to rise on renewal for my 1st class insurance policy?

The policeman suggested that we visit her in hospital today and the wife says we have to go and take some fruit… The area of Thailand we live in is populated by kind people. No we do not live in Phuket or Pattaya.

This morning I drove very carefully and slowly to work. I wonder how long this will last. I dread the day that I ever hit / injure a Thai. 

Cheers

You have reported it to Insurance also police let them deal with it. Tip stay well away from the family. Just tell them that the insurance is sorting it all out. You can give family the insurance phone No: after that its their problem. No plate helmet tax +++

You shouldn't lose your N/C Bonus even if they pay out something. As you said the onus was on her.

Even though you live in a place that has very nice Thai peeps there, by now you should also realise that most will be stupid.

Edited by fredob43

3 hours ago, fredob43 said:

You have reported it to Insurance also police let them deal with it. Tip stay well away from the family. Just tell them that the insurance is sorting it all out. You can give family the insurance phone No: after that its their problem. No plate helmet tax +++

You shouldn't lose your N/C Bonus even if they pay out something. As you said the onus was on her.

Even though you live in a place that has very nice Thai peeps there, by now you should also realise that most will be stupid.

Disagree with 'staying away from the family'. Show humanity and do pay her a visit in hospital. But don't admit to anything, leave that to the insurance company.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Disagree with 'staying away from the family'. Show humanity and do pay her a visit in hospital. But don't admit to anything, leave that to the insurance company.

Yes, ghworkers. I also disagree with staying away from the family. About what the mother said, the words that you think she used means less than her attitude etc. I understand it as she was not blaming you but was just a sad poor mother whose daughter had just been hurt and also worried that she would have to pay which the family didn't have money to. If that's how she was, then I think you should go to the hospital

99.99% of all Thai's I have met the last 26 years here are like that and I actually don't know how westerners manage to find the 0.01% that are different (outside Pattaya and Phuket of course).

If you lose bonus / premium goes up in Thailand is not about whose fault it is as Fredob43 posts, it's a simple question of money. If the girl doesn't have insurance or doesn't pay, then your insurance company does if you use your insurance full stop. If it doesn't cost much, then they will not care but if it is more then they will want their money back = they'll probably raise the premium a bit. I doubt a motor cycle hitting the back of a car would reach that

Good Luck

Mikey

It still perpetuates the belief that being stupid and irresponsible is ok because someone else will pick up the tab at the end of the day.

Years ago there was a story that if there was a 5 or 6 car nose/tail on the Tollway it was hoped that there would be expat involved as he/she was probably the only one with insurance that would cover the whole thing.

Do not visit the hospital and reward her with fruit: She ran into you and the family should be offering you gifts. Additionally, do not listen to the "we have no money" bs. Any costs should be passed onto the family and don't feel guilty if they have to borrow, beg, or sell land to pay for their child's irresponsibility.

A guy I know DID visit the lady in hospital(similar circumstances) contacted insurance and police. Bad move, the police wanted to examine his car (invisible scratch) and wouldn't give it back, pressure was exerted by the insurance agent to pay compensation. He ended up paying ‎฿20 000, doubtless  divided up between the three parties.

Keep away, you can visit later on when all is done.

This is one thing I am absolutely sure of: do everything by the book and nothing more.

I wouldn't visit the girl in hospital, (she won't be kept in anyway for a broken arm) unless you live in proximity, such as the same village, or in a very sparsely populated area where people are reliant upon each other.

A totally unregistered bike driven so carelessly to smash the bike up by crashing into a stationary vehicle would raise some major red flags over the attitude of this family towards responsibility to others and flagrant disrespect for the law.

What do you think she would have done if she could have ridden off?

Been there done that . The insurance agent represents you , you paid a premium for the insurance.  Now they have to finish their job . Even if it is in rural Isaan .  No need to visit anyone . 

Edited by balo

I almost got my head ripped off by three big angry Thai men when my truck skidded on Sukhumvit Pattaya.
A Thai driver claimed I hit his car, I didn't feel anything.
When I said the small bump was an old wound, they almost jumped on me. I ended up paying 10,000 for it as my insurance would of leaped up by a further 5000

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

5 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Was an ambulance really necessary? Sounds like she tried to make a meal of it. 

Eh, wake up. Thailand is not a banana republic except in the mind of surprisingly many ignorant ThaiVisa members

The police of course supported the OP and confirmed that it was her fault

4 hours ago, asianscouser said:

I almost got my head ripped off by three big angry Thai men when my truck skidded on Sukhumvit Pattaya.
A Thai driver claimed I hit his car, I didn't feel anything.
When I said the small bump was an old wound, they almost jumped on me. I ended up paying 10,000 for it as my insurance would of leaped up by a further 5000

And why do you choose to live in Bronx?

53 minutes ago, asianscouser said:

I see, so let me get this right, you call Pattaya the Bronx?

You must be a Yankee, ;) Pattaya is more like Blackpool on steroids. Besides, l lived at the Time in Leamchabang. (10- 20 minutes drive to Pattaya )

I am not American, it's just that the UK has no area that comes even near Chonburi when it comes to criminality but the US has plenty

The Chonburi / Pattaya area is statistically the most criminal area of Thailand

16 hours ago, stubuzz said:

Do not visit the hospital and reward her with fruit: She ran into you and the family should be offering you gifts. Additionally, do not listen to the "we have no money" bs. Any costs should be passed onto the family and don't feel guilty if they have to borrow, beg, or sell land to pay for their child's irresponsibility.

indeed. the accident was her fault, accepting responsibility for her actions would be an excellent life lesson for her.