has the rainy season arrived already?

Asiantravel

I have been here for 10 years and I have never seen so many cloudy days in what is meant to be the cool dry season

if you look at this website they are forecasting rain in one form or another from showers to thunderstorms every day  all the way up to 18th of January.

I wonder what is causing this?

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Pattaya+Thailand+THXX0015:1:TH

2 hours ago, striderman said:

you have to be joking.

rainfall for pattaya in december was 0.6 mm, the 30 yr average for december is 6.4mm

The OP refers to the current situation (now) and writes about cloudy skies and the forecast of rain.

I am not in Pattaya now but I can tell you that I am also surprised to have so many cloudy days over new year and today some rain in Khon Kaen.

Far far from the flooding in the south but still surprising.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

The OP refers to the current situation (now) and writes about cloudy skies and the forecast of rain.

I am not in Pattaya now but I can tell you that I am also surprised to have so many cloudy days over new year and today some rain in Khon Kaen.

Far far from the flooding in the south but still surprising.

it's nice to know someone else thinks it feels a bit abnormal. Actually it just rained a small amount in Pattaya one hour ago.

I'm noticing the humidity is back with the higher temperatures (in the daytime 32°C) because I cycle  past the

weather station on Pratumnak Hill almost every day which has a temperature indicator outside

Also noticing it raining in Chiang Mai and it's a daily thing there also...

Even no snow anywhere in Europe! 

It has rained in Pattaya for the last 3 days. About 15 minutes and the sort of quick shower you might get in Europe - hardly worth putting the brolly up. I expect torrential deluges in Thailand, enough to get Noah starting the ark up at the very least.

We had a heavy shower on Thepprasit on NYE. The first time I've seen that, though after getting rain in the afternoon on Christmas Day in 2015 nothing will surprise me about the weather here now. (Apart from maybe a snowstorm!)

don't panic, live your life, don't worry about the future and just make some tea for the moment......it might rain more today, it might not.  it might rain tomorrow, it might not.  but since you ask the question....

835 black holes have been discovered within the neutrino pulse that attacked Earth last week.    Oceanic temperatures from 372 to 482 meters lowered by 0.023423434 C and this caused a rise in banana productions and methane coating on certain types of fungus found in the inner caves of outer mongolia.......it's all pretty basic.

3 hours ago, LennyW said:

A few showers in Ban Chang yesterday and day before, weird for the time of year indeed!, and according to my phone there is a 62% chance of rain/thunderstorms for next 3 days!

just because it is january does not mean it is completely dry.

the 30 yr average jan rainfall for pattaya is 13.7 mm..............last yr it received 47.2 mm

2016 wettest month in pattaya...... oct...............247 mm

2016 driest month was as usual december with 0.6 mm

• 2 weeks later...

Centralish Thailand can get some tiny bit of rain 3rd week in Jan. It usually amounts to nothing. This year in BKK it really rained. Today is blazing hot. You might have had the same in Chonburi.

Considering the hot season follows the cool season. Safe bet we are not in the rainy season.

Weather is getting unpredictable, but the last year I've noticed in BKK we're having old skool normal weather last 12 mos.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 10:52 PM, kenk24 said:

Rain and chilly here in Central Thailand... and yes, it has been overcast for a couple of days too. I don't mind it at all, but I definitely noted that it seemed unusual for this time of year... 

Don't know what part of central Thailand you are, but where I live halfway between BKK and C/M it's great not a cloud about and hitting 90f/33c every day for the last week. Only saying last night in the local bar that it seems hotter than usual.

Rain between November - February is not uncommon, the Thais even has a name for it called 'Fon Cha Chor Mamuang' means the rain the washes the budding mango flowers. but normally it's a light drizzle and only comes in just a day. 

But the recent rainy spells is quite heavy and last for weeks

Why do people always ask ridiculous questions about the weather - too hot, too cool, too dry, too wet (sigh) In all countries there are extremes and today with global warming you can expect the weather pattern NOT to follow as it once was 5...10...20 years ago. Yes, there has been an unusual amount of overcast days in Pattaya- enjoy it.

9 hours ago, balo said:

I started the same thread here 1 year ago , and it was also raining in January last year . I think maybe the last 2-3 years we've seen some changes in the climate . 

Or the last 2-3 years you are not getting out as much as you used to.

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Ah yes.... the Bangkok flood that never was.

Meanwhile Surat is taking another hammering, just like in 2011/12.

Don't forget to apply the flood conversion factor.  0.5 cm in Central Bangkok is equivalent to 10 cm in outer Bangkok which is equivalent to 200 cm in 'Banork'.

A lot of cloudy days and drizzle which I have not experienced over here in the past quite to this extent. Not too many heavy downpours meaning rainfall probably has not been too high overall.

Edited by kevozman1