Are there still serious problems with police in Pai?

JimmyJ

I don't know which local subforum this belongs in and the mods haven't had a chance yet to respond to my asking them, so posting this here.

In planning my imminent trip to Thailand, Pai is one place I definitely wanted to visit...until I came across the writeup of Pai in wiki -

"Controversy over police conduct"

" Although it is a sleepy town in the mountains, Pai has over the past decade generated an unusual amount of controversy (even for Thailand) concerning the conduct of local police, as well as the conduct of Thai drug enforcement police operating there."

It also cites a January 2008 editorial published in CityLife Chiang Mai :   

:

"The increased police presence is clearly visible and does not, in my opinion, make Pai town look like a place one would like to visit. There is also a general feeling of unrest here and I feel that it is quite obvious to the tourist travelling through. The police are unapproachable and menacing. This has a strong negative impact on the atmosphere here in Pai town. The previously friendly and welcoming town appears to have changed into a place where everyone is afraid to even walk down the street in case they are accused of doing something wrong. Should the police not be employed to protect civilians? Should they not be approachable in case I or someone else requires some help? They are certainly not even close to doing what a police force is meant to do."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pai,_Thailand

There is nothing more on police misconduct post 2008 (perhaps that's the year the wiki article was written?) so I'm wondering if this is still an issue there?

(I did just read a thread in TV about Pai and it mentions the brown shirts shooing people out of bars immediately at closing and forcing stands to shut down before closing time).

Edited by JimmyJ

20 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

I would probably refrain from smoking weed or possessing it up there. Would also be wary of going if THC is in my urine. 

" Would also be wary of going if THC is in my urine."

I probably won't go if that's the case.

The article from CityLife Chiang Mai  mentioned cops stopping people on the street and illegally forcing them to take drug tests.

That definitely cuts against the "laid back" "peaceful" "serene" ambience that Pai is said to have.

I see and read enough of police brutality and overreach in general in the USA - don't need to travel a thousand miles to be hassled by people in uniform.

Edited by JimmyJ

Drugs are rife there & they are trying to control the problem in a very transient area......

I know a couple of years ago they rooted some long term problem people out (read farang tokers/druggies with incidents/history) & gave them a week to settle up affairs and leave....

I knew one couple involved - they consulted their crystal & it told them where to move next......Decades of smoke - dumb as rocks....These folks left the country but I'm not sure it was a matter of choice..... One week and poof - they were gone.....Their "crowd" also must have been on the list - or faded & are keeping out of sight.....

There's been some "sell & tell/stings" so best to keep it straight there.....

We go a couple of times a year - great place to relax for a couple of days.....

A few years back it was not unusual to see baggies moving from hand to hand at some of the popular places to eat.....Not sure if it's as open now.......

It's a scenic, fun place for a few days....Many different types of people to mix with.....Hasn't seemed as free and lively the past couple of seasons......The openly free spirited happy people seem to have been changing over to a weirder crowd.....Not as animated....

The elephants, hot springs, scenery, bike trekking, hill tribes, etc., are all still there....

Always seems to be lot of scooter -accident prone farangs limping around during every visit....The Chinese tourist floodgates seem to be slowing down......

Edited by pgrahmm

I suppose you could comply with the laws of the land and chances are you will be OK.

We go up there on a regular basis to simply relax and have never had a problem but then we don't go out of our way to do anything illegal.

I see and read enough of police brutality and overreach in general in the USA - don't need to travel a thousand miles to be hassled by people in uniform.

No worries, Thai police are accommodating and will hassle you without uniforms.

24 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Applies to the country as a whole no ?? 

If you read the wiki and the newspaper article - No.

This goes beyond the country as a whole - stopping people on the street randomly and illegally demanding urine tests, etc. (I'm quite sure it was 1 of those 2 articles I read this in).

I realixe the cops can be a pain in any country and certainly Thailand - can be annoying, perhaps minor shakedown/bribe attempts in some areas - but read that editorial. Much worse based on the description.

Just the part I quoted sounds forbidding.

Edited by JimmyJ

27 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Yes, the 1st murder is mentioned in the Wiki article:

" On 5 January 2008, Pai made national and international news when an off-duty police officer, Sgt-Major Uthai Dechawiwat, fatally shot Canadian tourist Leo John Del Pinto, and shot and wounded a second Canadian tourist Carly Reisig, fleeing the scene immediately after the event.[13][14] Nearly all involved believe that both the policeman and victims were drunk at the time... "

It appears they let him walk after murdering the tourist. Then he goes on to kill his pregnant bride 2 years later and they finally put him away. (I think, hard to tell from that murderpedia link - if he was put away after the 1st murder, couldn't have then murdered pregnant bride 2 years later).

Edited by JimmyJ

43 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

In the '90s, Pai was a little slice of heaven. It is certainly more uptight than years gone by, but then that could be said for most of Thailand... ever since the tourist dollar has been 'reaslised' to the extreme.

The '90s sucked but the '80s were great.  Not crowded, not many beds available.

Actually with a bit of searching it can still be pleasant,  now I avoid downtown.

Edited by Dante99

On 2017-01-05 at 4:50 AM, JimmyJ said:

Yes, the 1st murder is mentioned in the Wiki article:

" On 5 January 2008, Pai made national and international news when an off-duty police officer, Sgt-Major Uthai Dechawiwat, fatally shot Canadian tourist Leo John Del Pinto, and shot and wounded a second Canadian tourist Carly Reisig, fleeing the scene immediately after the event.[13][14] Nearly all involved believe that both the policeman and victims were drunk at the time... "

It appears they let him walk after murdering the tourist. Then he goes on to kill his pregnant bride 2 years later and they finally put him away. (I think, hard to tell from that murderpedia link - if he was put away after the 1st murder, couldn't have then murdered pregnant bride 2 years later).

That girl Carly is still going through the courts (2017) after being shot by the cop. I understand it may be finally settled this March. Collecting may take another 8 years.

On 1/5/2017 at 8:08 PM, jobin said:

Ten year old news?  How utterly reliable. 

It happened.

Kirsty Jones was killed at Aree Guesthouse in Chiang Mai nearly 17 years ago. Just because it happened a long time ago, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Thai police, no further comment.

Decades of smoke - dumb as rocks.

If you are trying to imply that smoking weed makes people, "dumb as rocks," then you don't know what you are talking about, at all. Of course, perhaps you meant that they were dumb to begin with. 

I find it odd that a grown adult would be inquiring as to the conduct of the  local police, with emphasis on the area in respect to the use of controlled substances.

Seriously?

The violation of  Thailand's drug laws  are  a career and visa killer. In most cases it is a go directly to jail, do not stop at Go and collect $200 scenario. One is guilty until proven innocent or a large bribe is paid.  It is doubtful you can  pay the bribe, so a small prison cell with 49 other crazed yaba freaks squirting into a communal pail and with no room to lie down.

Thailand is a dangerous place if you are incapable of keeping a low profile and like to party with products that Thailand deems illegal.  Do not come if you are unable to avoid  weed, hashish, opium, MDA, uppers, downers, X, shrooms or any other  misused  chemical substance. The snitches and paid informants will grass you up for 100 baht.

And following the murder 17 years ago, did the CM police not crack down on places and sellers of of 'Smoking' material ?

Following this and the couple of well publicised visits by UK law officers , memory seems to say that Pai in Mae Hong Sorn province became a popular place for smokers to visit.

Old Hand fire away.

john

8 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

I think the operative question here is, "Are the police belligerent and liable to randomly stop you for no probable cause. For any possible infraction?"

I've never noticed much of a police presence there....Don't even see traffic direction.....

3 hours ago, Trujillo said:

I think the operative question here is, "Are the police belligerent and liable to randomly stop you for no probable cause. For any possible infraction?"

In Hua Hin, they set up shop in front of the  Family Mart across from market Village. Foreigners are pulled over  and checked for drivers license and helmet use.  Thais  often get a wave. The police are not the most respectable or trustworthy of people in Thailand.

Edited by geriatrickid

3 hours ago, Trujillo said:

That is exactly my concern.

Whether people find this to still be true:

" The police are unapproachable and menacing. This has a strong negative impact on the atmosphere here in Pai town. The previously friendly and welcoming town appears to have changed into a place where everyone is afraid to even walk down the street in case they are accused of doing something wrong. "

The following which I posted in the OP makes me feel it may still be the case:

"(I did just read a thread in TV about Pai and it mentions the brown shirts shooing people out of bars immediately at closing and forcing stands to shut down before closing time)."

I find it odd that a grown adult would be inquiring as to the conduct of the  local police, with emphasis on the area in respect to the use of controlled substances.

You assume adult, perhaps adult body and adolescent mind or even a child's mind.