S44 to be used with new traffic law to deal with illegal public transport

snoop1130

S44 to be used with new traffic law to deal with illegal public transport

729_S44.jpg

Section 44 of the interim constitution will be invoked to supplement the enforcement of the new land traffic act to deal with passenger vans, buses and pickup trucks which do not comply with the laws in a last-ditch effort to curb deadly road accidents involving these vehicles, said Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan on Thursday.

He said security officials would work out all the details about how to deal with the illegal public transports and pickup trucks which carry passengers in response to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha’s order to get tough with these vehicles within three months from now before the Songkran long holidays when most people will travel.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/s44-used-new-traffic-law-deal-illegal-public-transport/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-1-5

"Pickup trucks, said General Prawit, will, in the future, not be allowed to carry passengers as the trucks were designed to carry goods."

Be interesting to see if this can or will ever be enforced? In rural areas and indeed in cities this is a primary mode of transport. Songthaew are pick up based, will they still be allowed?

Will await to see the legislation (which I am sure will come) and it's enforcement ( which I am sure will never happen).

1 minute ago, BigBadGeordie said:

"Pickup trucks, said General Prawit, will, in the future, not be allowed to carry passengers as the trucks were designed to carry goods."

Be interesting to see if this can or will ever be enforced? In rural areas and indeed in cities this is a primary mode of transport. Songthaew are pick up based, will they still be allowed?

Will await to see the legislation (which I am sure will come) and it's enforcement ( which I am sure will never happen).

"....in the future..." probably means the year 20 years from now.   

8 minutes ago, SoFarAndNear said:

Speechless. There is nothing democracy left. 

Yes ... that pretty much defines what "juntas" do.

Moving on ....the last sentence in the linked Thai PBS story was stunning.

"In the future pickup trucks will not be allowed to carry passengers, as they were designed to carry goods" (DPM Prawit)

Well ... I'll be a son of a gun if he ever enforces that one. That will surely have to be a monumental step forward on the quest to improve road traffic safety.

Well done DPM .... now I hope you have the goolies to pull it off.

19 minutes ago, electric said:

Yes ... that pretty much defines what "juntas" do.

Moving on ....the last sentence in the linked Thai PBS story was stunning.

"In the future pickup trucks will not be allowed to carry passengers, as they were designed to carry goods" (DPM Prawit)

Well ... I'll be a son of a gun if he ever enforces that one. That will surely have to be a monumental step forward on the quest to improve road traffic safety.

Well done DPM .... now I hope you have the goolies to pull it off.

Millions and Millions of Thais depend on Songtows for their primary form

of transport...And it works very well....

Why cheer on a stupid idea like this one? 

The only way to protect every one from every thing is to ban virtually everything.. 

Hell a fluffy pillow could be used to smother some one quite nicely...

The only solution? Ban all fluffy pillows....

This is typical knee-jerk not-thought-out top-down drivel with the now-obligatory deadline that accompanies all such pronouncements that those familiar with senior Thai officials will recognise.

It routinely follows such shocking news. It never deals with the underlying issues. It is a confusing muddle within 24 hours with clarifications, revisions and U-turns. Then everyone forgets about it and everything goes on like before.

It could be about drugs or rapists or road deaths or rabies. It is the same old routine.

The key thing is for those in charge to appear as though they have things in hand and are on top of everything. That way they maintain face.

3 minutes ago, tracker1 said:

Just curious What is illegal public transport ?

In order to run a van/bus/songthaew on a scheduled route, you need to have the permission of the Land Transport Dept. and operate within the rules and fare structures. Some influential people bypass this.

3 minutes ago, ldiablo72 said:

They try to do someone positive and farangs whine and cringe. They don't do anything at all and farangs whine and cringe. Can't win.

Those two concepts are generally the same here...

They often do talking, and that talking usually leads to nothing. And even if it leads to something, that something is rarely and generally not long-term enforced. So in the end, NOTHING.

So yes, there's a lot of whining and I'd say crying over their continuing failure to do anything to address Thailand's world-leading status when it comes to per capita road deaths. And I'd say deservedly so.

10 minutes ago, ldiablo72 said:

They try to do someone positive and farangs whine and cringe. They don't do anything at all and farangs whine and cringe. Can't win.

You're right, they can't win, because the way they are doing things is the real problem. It's a military government that installed themselves "to prevent civil war" and "reform democracy before returning the country to the people." All of a sudden, they have all these political agendas to follow and legislation they want passed--the entire country molded in the shape that one man sees fit.

If they do something, it's been done the wrong way--capriciously and without consulting stakeholders. If they don't do something, it's still their fault because they are standing directly in the way of others who want to participate in solving the problems.

"Section 44 of the interim constitution will be invoked to supplement the enforcement of the new land traffic act to deal with passenger vans, buses and pickup trucks..."

enforced by whom? the same people who enforce traffic laws now?  

8 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

"Section 44 of the interim constitution will be invoked to supplement the enforcement of the new land traffic act to deal with passenger vans, buses and pickup trucks..."

enforced by whom? the same people who enforce traffic laws now?  

You never know, i hope it's the army who will start enforcing traffic laws.

sorry but there is something very obviously wrong here when special powers have to be used to enforce what most civilised countries would regard as absolutely normal law enforcement

Although I see the good intention, the serious issue is why.

Traffic laws are one of the easiest to enforce - it is generally very simple and yet in Thailand the current PM needs to enact some special powers.............ok at least he sees the problem but his answer is not the solution..............................Thailand needs some very sustained prolonged reforms ..........................................not an election, once that happens then it is back to a few greedy politicians filling their pockets and quite frankly not giving a fck about anything else

I honestly hope that elections are a long way off because one thing I am absolutely certain about - no elected government in Thailand theses last 30 years has made or attempted to make any improvements in this very lost country

Prayuth- Chan O cha..............................I want more, I want you to go 10x times what you are doing now

OH and by the way - the internet is off limits............................everything else is game on

Everything you use article 44 to solve needs attention.....................it should not be needed

Just try to fix the problem with the maniacs in the minivans before you worry about pickup trucks. Baby steps.

Pickups trucks with passengers in the back don't concern me at all; they are endangering themselves, but generally are not aggressive drivers. But I pay close attention when one of those vans starts to fill my mirrors. Same with the full sized busses 

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

Just try to fix the problem with the maniacs in the minivans before you worry about pickup trucks. Baby steps.

Pickups trucks with passengers in the back don't concern me at all; they are endangering themselves, but generally are not aggressive drivers. But I pay close attention when one of those vans starts to fill my mirrors. Same with the full sized busses 

I recall driving Pattaya to Surin once w/ my wife and farang friend.

He and I took turns driving. 6 hours to do 200 miles, as there was "SOMETHING" going 20 miles an hour in front of us every half a mile = average speed was about 30 MPH.

Anyhow, several pickups whizzed by around us, risking life and limb with 8 or 10 people in the back.

His comment was "I guess the more people you have in the back of the truck, the crazier you are expected to drive".

I found it to be quite fitting.....this was 16 YEARS ago.

Edited by jaywalker

"... get tough with these vehicles within three months from now before the Songkran long holidays when most people will travel..."

The so-called "illegal public transport" is just one symptom of a far larger malaise that has once again been reflected in the latest New Year road-toll statistics.

However, if Section 44 can indeed produce some success in reforming public transport operations before the Songkran long holidays, then that's great, and should be applauded.

Perhaps, it can then be extended to private vehicle users as well - we can only hope.

As for why this action has not taken earlier by the junta, well that is probably best summed up by the following:

Plant_tree.jpg

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He said security officials would work out all the details about how to deal with the illegal public transports

I'm sure that consultation with foreign transport ministries in other countries will take place. Proper consideration and research will be done and a logical plan will be formed..........or maybe not.

the drivers of the Vans and Buses are mostly poor rural people who are trying to make a decent living. It is the owners who are influential and refuse to regulate their business. They are pushing the drivers to go faster, drive more by paying the drivers per trip because they refuse to pay a daily wage and limit their drivers hours. The owners refuse to do proper maintenance and hire a sufficient number of drivers. 

Watch how a van driver operates on the road- constantly changing lanes; driving too close to other vehicles; when approaching a red light immediately moves left along the berm to either go through the red light or be first off the line on green; travelling as fast as possible on the motorways. All of this is because the faster they get to their destination- the quicker the return and the more trips they can make.

The Government must come down on the owners and the police need to start ticketing each time a driver speeds or drives reckless. Hit everyone in their pocket and the behavior will change.

When they took away the old criminals from the Pattaya Bridge Club.
So these police pickups are going to be illegal? 
:-)
148753_146_news_hub_135745_677x251.jpg.73db62487298414295a1f1bf141fe146.jpg

Ah, memories of one of the police's finest hours in the incessant battle against organised crime.

It serves to remind us why, sadly but understandably little time or resources are available to be devoted to policing the roads...