important tax refund info.

yesterday the wife took our tax witheld certificate's to the tax office,as from now all thais will receive their refunds through the scheme called PROMPT PAY ours will still be paid by cheque.

also our tax free allowance is now 190,000bht.

so those who will be paid direct [prompt pay] must open this acc.at a bank of choice.

I expect their will be exceptions.  Just for a related example of another govt payment Like the Old Age Pension paid a lot of Thais...you know where they pay a person Bt600/month if 60-69, Bt700 if 70-79 etc.   That to has a requirement that you are to be paid via "Direct Deposit" and the bank had to be KrungThai Bank (state owned bank) in their name only....no joint account....not an account with another bank, etc.

Well, my wife went an opened a KrungThai Bank account, gave the govt the account info, and it's been coming via Direct Deposit monthly. 

Now, my wife's Mom who is still kicking also gets the Old Age Pension except Dear Ol Mom did not have a bank account nor wanted to open one....like many others in her village and the local District Office delivers her Old Age Pension in cash each month.

4 hours ago, orientalist said:

So can I as a resident foreigner request my refund to be paid via PromptPay?

No idea.  But Krung Sri does not allow foreigners to use PromptPay.  I presume there are alternative arrangements.

4 minutes ago, Oxx said:

No idea.  But Krung Sri does not allow foreigners to use PromptPay.  I presume there are alternative arrangements.

That's interesting. I tried to register for Prompt Pay yesterday - I've had internet banking with Krungsri for 10 years. I got the message "phone number not registered". I checked my account and see that my Thai mobile number is part of my profile but my OTP mobile number is a non-Thai number (which works perfectly for OTP via SMS). I just assumed the "phone number not registered" message was because I wasn't using my Thai mobile for OTP

A English language newspaper said today taxpayers who registered with PromptPay receive their refund one day after filing at the earliest.   Those who have not signed up for PromptPay will still get a refund by cheque, but their refund payment will take 3-5 days after filing.   

Maybe the tax dept has gotten super fast since last year, but I have filed for Thai tax refunds 4 times over recent years and was refunded by cheque....and the refund always took at least several weeks....closer to one month....the cheque only took a few days to get to me after it was issued/dated.   I'm sure some people get their refunds faster than a few weeks to a month, but I doubt PromptPay has made the tax dept a lot faster in processing tax returns except maybe the very last step of transmitting the payment.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

A English language newspaper said today taxpayers who registered with PromptPay receive their refund one day after filing at the earliest.   Those who have not signed up for PromptPay will still get a refund by cheque, but their refund payment will take 3-5 days after filing.   

Maybe the tax dept has gotten super fast since last year, but I have filed for Thai tax refunds 4 times over recent years and was refunded by cheque....and the refund always took at least several weeks....closer to one month....the cheque only took a few days to get to me after it was issued/dated.   I'm sure some people get their refunds faster than a few weeks to a month, but I doubt PromptPay has made the tax dept a lot faster in processing tax returns except maybe the very last step of transmitting the payment.

as the tax department told the wife its paid after its been approved.so maybe she gets her's the same day as my cheque has been sent out so thats not a lot of improvement.my wife always files for the refunds first week jan.last yr.cheque received 8th feb.

On 07/01/2017 at 8:59 AM, Pib said:

A English language newspaper said today taxpayers who registered with PromptPay receive their refund one day after filing at the earliest.

That has now largely been retracted.  This will only happen if you have a Krung Thai bank account that is linked to PromptPay.  The Revenue Chief has apologised for the misinformation.

13 hours ago, orientalist said:

I filed my P90 yesterday, but my PromptPay is not with Krung Thai. Let's see how long the refund takes. I suspect most of the time is in the checking of the documents rather than printing/sending the cheque.

my wife's prompt pay acc.is with SCB BANK.

On 11/1/2560 at 2:57 PM, fletchsmile said:

Probably what they would like is for all refunds to be transferred via PromptPay and are trying to encourage that.

In practice it's not feasible for them to do so in all cases, so there will be other mechanism available as usual

Cheers

Fletch :)

the wife had to go back to the tax office yesterday just for them to check my account[all in order]

they did say i could if i want to have my refund paid through promptpay,but half the banks dont know whats going on as does the staff at the tax office. gov.has appologised for the mess.

i declined to have my refund through this way,as i dont want money going out thats not supposed toooooooooooooooo.

my wife feels the same way so she opened another account and only keeps the min.in it.

On 1/6/2017 at 2:56 PM, Oxx said:

On 1/6/2017 at 10:28 AM, orientalist said:

So can I as a resident foreigner request my refund to be paid via PromptPay?

Apparently you must be a Thai national like below from K-bank PromptPay Terms & Conditions.   However, but at the same time I have seen TV posts where farangs have registered for PromptPay to include K-bank last year like at this earlier TV thread.    Maybe PromptPay signup rules have change (or not)...maybe it's up to the bank whether farangs are allowed to signup....maybe it's just the ongoing disjointed banking polices for farangs in Thailand as policies can vary from branch-to-branch even within the same parent bank.

http://www.kasikornbank.com/EN/Personal/OtherProducts/KMoneyTransfer/Documents/PromptPay_EN_T-C_20160615.pdf

1. The User must be an individual, of Thai nationality, no less than 15 years old.

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2017 at 4:14 PM, orientalist said:

I filed my P90 yesterday, but my PromptPay is not with Krung Thai. Let's see how long the refund takes. I suspect most of the time is in the checking of the documents rather than printing/sending the cheque.

Unbelievable. I filed my return on Jan 11 and printed my Promptpay number in big letters on the front. Today - March 7 - I received a cheque! Fukkwits!

I don't know about foreigners but for Thais Prompt Pay is being pushed down their throats. I have filed online for the past 5 or so years and have always received a cheque refund within a 7 to 10 days of submission. However, despite everything being in order this year, the refund failed to materialize. I rechecked online several times and the message was that I needed to register with PromptPay, while when I first made the submission it stated that it was optional. Anyway, the long and the short of it is that I registered for PromptPay via Bangkok Bank ATM and received my refund 2 days later.  This is my first time filing for a tax refund as a Thai.

One of the staff called the Revenue Department and was told that if she did not register, she would have to wait about 45 days before she received a refund cheque. 

The good thing about PromptPay is that once you receive payment, you just unregister using your ATM.