Hair Cut Issues

MrNeilThai

I tell them number 4 on the sides and scissors on the top.....100 baht in Phuket. One day the guy was missing and his wife was there. I said number 4 sides etc. Before I knew it number 4 my whole head....it was akin to being scalped. Now only the husband. In Cambodia no women would cut a man's hair.....went to this guy and he was an artiste, each haircut was an hour or more with cut throat trimming. One dollar for everybody. Supercuts in Santa Monica could do four customers in an hour, and a really good haircut. In Hollywood I paid $70 and then tipped.....asked him one day why I tipped him....he responded, I have no idea.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a number 3 buzz cut.My hair grows quickly here. If the guy in the village is open(he seems to open as and when he sees fit) He charges me 60 baht,sets my ears on fire,chops my shoulders,and performs a shave that Sweeny Todd would be proud of.Like the op,i give 60 + 20...cheap (back home it woud be 9 quid) If he is closed,i go down to the small town and get the same cut, His shaves are terrible,so i forgo the pleasure of that.But he has a big salon,and 4 guys,that i guess rent chairs there.He will charge me 70 baht(felang price) no problem,i give him the same tip.He's happy,i'm happy..Its still cheaper than home.I have to visit either of them at least twice a month.Its worth it.

Thanks for the amusing topic guys. I'm envious of you lads that actually have enough hair to require a proper cut. My Wahl electric clippers were part of my luggage when I moved here years ago.

About every 5 weeks or so, my wife shears the bum fluff from my scalp. Number 2 all over thanks. Would take me 5mins if I did it .... but she fusses and dithers for 20mins. That's ok by me ... gives me 20mins of grope time   555555

Come to think of it .... maybe that's why she takes 20mins ?

Up here in Buriram, barber shop haircut and shave is 60 baht. Groping costs extra ... apparently. Can't risk it ... everybody is related to everybody. 555

Just ask for a skinhead, they all know what this means, even if they don't speak English.  Then tell then one for the side and two or three on top, again they will understand.  If you can't speak Thai, just point to the areas.  As for the cost, they saw you coming, I don't care how good the salon is.  My barber has a fully air-conditioned shop, spotlessly clean and charges B80 for a haircut and shave. :wai:

I just give the g/f the right bowl size and scissors and say have at it. I quit the vanity thing a long time ago. I am sure if I went to one of those fancy salons for a haircut and soon after leaving the building the ladies would mob me. Hansum man.

5 hours ago, Sooo Upto Me said:

Long story short, more like short story too long.

Are u bored today? 

Same as you... bored to death needing to respond. Making use of my typing skill, 90 words per minute. At least got a contribution for guys like you that don't have any instead sitting reading no where to go in your dirty boxers!

Edited by thailand49

Well ..let me think.....I have had mostly ( 90 percent of the time)  ..good hair cuts from female hair dressers ...but not men at barber shops.

I am inclined to believe that women hair stylists know how to properly work peoples hair more so than a man at a barber shop.

That is how I see it while I never go to barber shops just because I am a man and think I have to go to a barber shop rather I have always gone to a hair styling shop where they have women there to cut and or style your hair....and usually pretty and certainly better looking than some guy while he is mucking about with your hair....all manly like and awkward.....

Some have cut my hair shorter than I explained to them by a significant amount leaving the sides of my head looking like a military style hair cut ...but, fortunately me for me my hair grows back really fast so even a somewhat botched hair cut looks just fine a week later.

There was one lady near to where I used to live who cut my hair perfect every time and she would do so very slowly and carefully and fussed over my hair making it as evenly trimmed and balanced as possible and would take about 30 minutes to cut my hair while I would grow sleepy and begin to fall asleep because the feeling of the comb and her hands running through my hair and scalp felt.... "luxurious"...lol...

I looked forward to hair cuts from that women and her cost was only 80 baht but I would always give her 100 baht and sometimes bring her a small gift of appreciation...

Another thing that is nice about hair cuts in here in Thailand is when they wash and rinse your hair for about 10 minutes while also massaging your head and scalp using their fingers and finger nails and lightly scratch your scalp while they work the hair shampoo and or conditioner into your scalp and then give you a neck massage and shoulder massage as part of the hair cut....and that is worth a tip.

Come to think of it....I think I will get my hair cut tomorrow...yuk yuk  

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:57 AM, paul18620 said:

your right your getting ripped off ,

I pay 50 bhat for hair cut and 20 bhat tip and thats including a shave and a head and neck massage ,and always great result at the end.

Sorry for the hassle you have had doesnt sound good ,maybe find another salon if there is more to be found .

And you didn't share the name and address of this wonderful shop and barber.

On 1/7/2017 at 7:57 AM, paul18620 said:

your right your getting ripped off ,

I pay 50 bhat for hair cut and 20 bhat tip and thats including a shave and a head and neck massage ,and always great result at the end.

Sorry for the hassle you have had doesnt sound good ,maybe find another salon if there is more to be found .

he's not getting ripped off. He is going to a beauty salon and 300B is normal. You are going to a barber and that is what the price should be. 

OP you need to find a barber shop stop going to salons. Are you telling them in Thai you want your hair short?  If so maybe your Thai is not as good as you think. Barber shops do a great job for me.

Try on of the salons in Emporium, you'll get a great haircut for 4000 baht

Or go to one of the quick cuts that you can find in several BTS stations (Thonglor and Phra Khanong Stations have them for sure) and get one for 120 baht.  

The Women at a shop in MBK are sloppy and spend as much time talking loudly with each other as the do cutting har.  Funny - the same woman was doing a much better job last year.  I' m looking for a new place.

One of the reasons I have always preferred Asia is the care and treatment in the local tonsorial parlors. I frequent a very nice shop where I have my favorite female barber, an a/c private room, and a very comfortable chair in which to relax while I am being serviced. Tea, coffee or water and some sweet snacks are served free; other drinks and foods can easily be had.  My barber washes and cuts my hair, shaves my cheeks and neck, trims my beard, cleans my ears, trims my nose hair, braids my pony tail and gives me a foot, hand, neck and head massage.The bill is B180 for this service and I tip her B100 for the good service I receive. I often remain in the shop playing thirteen card and drinking Chinese wine. 

Sounds like a pair of electric clippers would do the job!

Can't say else other than they think they are giving you the style you should have, that they give most of the probably young guys that come in and don't want to be giving military buz cuts. Stay away from stylists and go to a barber!

17 hours ago, MANFROMBOCA said:

WOW,, i guess im lucky i get the prefect haircut everytime

Ah yes perfection in an imperfect world. How refreshing. I guess reaching my advanced age is perfection. Should try shaving the old Golden Globe for the bald look once before passing on to the celebration of life. Must take a photo it would make a nice addition to the celebration part I guess. 

Hair cut here in Thailand  is a thing to be lucky and find a good hair stylist and I always get nailed for 100 Tbh or more and still not happy but what can I do ?? I wish to find a farang tha could work here and open a barber shop near Buriram, wild wish.

1 hour ago, mettech said:

Hair cut here in Thailand  is a thing to be lucky and find a good hair stylist and I always get nailed for 100 Tbh or more and still not happy but what can I do ?? I wish to find a farang tha could work here and open a barber shop near Buriram, wild wish.

There is an Australian guy with a barber shop at Talad Rot Fai on Srinakarin.   He's not cheap (about 300 baht for a haircut) but apparently he's good. 

http://bk.asia-city.com/bangkok-venue/maduro-barber

Generally use Easycut when in Bangkok in Asoke, never had a problem with them.

In CM we have a 50 baht barber just near my office, so that's fine; 

I do find the standard of barber shops here pretty poor though, and as I travel to Phils every other month, I always get a haircut there in the barber shop in my hotel, which although pricey is excellent. 

If you werent living in thailand and got a bad hair cut, you would go to a different barber and not write to social media about it, attracting thousands of opinions on your ddrastic plight. What is it about thailand that makes people write to social media about the most trivial things???  Loneleyness?

MANFROMBOCA

Read the op's text again,it was meant to read,'i get the PERFECT haircut every time' it was a misspelling and read 'prefect' i replied,'was the barber 'monitored then 'A monitor is another name for a prefect,or did you not have them at your school.It was meant to add a bit of levity to the post.Get it now???