Road safety crusader backs toughening of Land Traffic Act, urges quick implementation

rooster59

Road safety crusader backs toughening of Land Traffic Act, urges quick implementation

By KHANITTHA THEPKHAJORN
THE SUNDAY NATION

982eb6709ffbf33fe05c720a60f36537.jpeg

ROAD SAFETY champion Nikorn Jamnong has expressed his full support for the Cabinet-approved amendment of the Land Traffic Act, which would boost safety on the country’s roads and add harsher punishments for several traffic offences.

He has also made suggestions for effective implementation of the changes.

The former chairman of a National Reform Steering Assembly standing committee for road safety said the draft amendment of the Act was in line with his panel’s report, submitted to the government on August 30.

Full story:  http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30303659

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-01-08

The former chairman of a National Reform Steering Assembly standing committee for road safety

no pun intended?

it's a pity he was completely ineffective in improving road safety while chairman of the the road safety committee...

so now he's not chairman of the committee he wants to do something about road safety...

i hate to say this but, only in thailand...

Even before enforcement one must have proper training of officers and drivers...neither of those training programs currently happen...I witness near misses and basic poor driving behaviors and habits every day....

thais in general just don't know how to drive nor understand the rules of the road...

it starts with DMV...

As a road safety champion I would say he hasn't been to successful up to now and I doubt much success in the future even with the new rules. I can't see these pick ups trying to cram all there passangers in the cabin but then again !

Even before enforcement one must have proper training of officers and drivers...neither of those training programs currently happen...I witness near misses and basic poor driving behaviors and habits every day....

thais in general just don't know how to drive nor understand the rules of the road...

it starts with DMV...

The current hour-long safety video required of every driver's license applicant hits on every major bad driving habit on Thai roads.

It's been used for 1-2 years now in most locations.

Most of the 50 applicants I observed last year, slept, visited with each other, played with their hand phones, and/or openly mocked the video.

They know there's no teeth in it.

Meanwhile, we wait for the fatality stats to take a downturn.

Waiting...waiting...waiting....

— — — — —

Ok, I'll begrudgingly make a generous concession. IMHO, 10% education and 90% enforcement. That's the way it works in my home country, and the stats are a heck of a lot better than here.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I witness constant breaking of the law by the BIB: running red lights, illegal u-turns, no helmets, etc. Earns little respect from the observing public.

There can be no serious improvement in road safety here until there is a major shift in thai thinking and that isn't going to happen any time soon.

All the stupid moves we see daily that cause most of the accidents are seen by too many Thais as normal maneuvers and perfectly acceptable.

Until they even see the need to have working lights ,decent tyres,well maintained vehicles,stop for red lights drive only when fit enough,drive only in the correct traffic direction,have lane discipline,put lights on as soon as it gets dark and a host of other bad habits nothing will change the death rate (and don't forget the even higher seldom mentioned injury rate).

The worst thing is that this is just accepted.

There will be some talk but no firm action. Life is cheap and we will come back in another life so mai bpen rai.

It's clearly a joke.

There are no 'police' here.

There are no 'standards' for drivers or requirements for gaining licences.

They care less about the crime than their right to put untrained drivers on the road 'it's okay if Bobby wants to take the scooter to school, it's just a scooter!'

Why can't they simply BAN reports on this kind of inflammatory news!!! Let's see more 'clueless driver' Youtube compilations dedicated to Thai roads.

Mosly what creates the stress and aggressive driving attitudes here are the totally clueless buffalo roaming the streets in cars they can barely unlock and enter!

The former chairman of a National Reform Steering Assembly standing committee for road safety

OMG. Where are these people found? Couldn't do it before, thinks he can do it now! But, I will concede one point - it was a better response than what the current Government gave!

No will, no way unfortunately. Blind leading the blind comes to mind. TIT

it starts with DMV...
It's based on rules that are flexibly followed. And it's not just driving, as anyone can see most Thailand rules regularly and profusely bent and broken throughout the land.

3 hours ago, harada said:

I asked a Thai lady once why the somtum lady let her 10-12 year old son ride the cart home at the end of the night without the lights on. A: Not use battery, cost money. :thumbsup:

Yes and it seems that the government can't even get that though their heads. Many of the poor people believe that saves their batteries. Dusk is the worst time to drive. I told my wife to turn her lights on and she said " I can still see fine " .    These things need to be taught in school. 

I don't have a clue as to who this person is (yes, I have read all the previous posts, so now a little more informed) But I for one will give him the benefit of doubt, for now. It would seem that the government/junta/dictatorship, oops, can I say that ? Are clutching at straws right now, due mainly to the massive loss of face over the fiasco that was the 7 deadly days road safety campaign.

So, he has made some proposals, which if followed could be a start to the education of the morons behind the wheel, if this government is serious about reducing the frankly disgusting daily death toll on it's roads then this could well be a good start, yes I know, it's gonna take a whole lot more than what he is proposing, but let's have a start and build on it from there.

At this point I feel I should add a nice Green recycled sign, as all points have been made over and over and over and ov.............................

recy.jpg

Great so f i don't pay a traffic fine within a year at present I get away with it! This move seems to be a step in the right direction. Hitting people in their pockets is the only thing they will understand.

One wonders if anyone read the full article before going into rant mode- this was quite telling towards the end:

"As most Thais reportedly perceive laws as something they can avoid when the opportunity arises, without regard to the dangers posed to themselves and others, it is important that new measures aimed at boosting road safety should be in place alongside campaigns to boost public awareness. " Makes sense to me.

Edited by Psimbo

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

I don't have a clue as to who this person is (yes, I have read all the previous posts, so now a little more informed) But I for one will give him the benefit of doubt, for now. It would seem that the government/junta/dictatorship, oops, can I say that ? Are clutching at straws right now, due mainly to the massive loss of face over the fiasco that was the 7 deadly days road safety campaign.

So, he has made some proposals, which if followed could be a start to the education of the morons behind the wheel, if this government is serious about reducing the frankly disgusting daily death toll on it's roads then this could well be a good start, yes I know, it's gonna take a whole lot more than what he is proposing, but let's have a start and build on it from there.

At this point I feel I should add a nice Green recycled sign, as all points have been made over and over and over and ov.............................

recy.jpg

You should be OK, because I dont think being an optimist is a actual criminal offence at present

14 hours ago, Fookhaht said:

The current hour-long safety video required of every driver's license applicant hits on every major bad driving habit on Thai roads.

It's been used for 1-2 years now in most locations.

Most of the 50 applicants I observed last year, slept, visited with each other, played with their hand phones, and/or openly mocked the video.

They know there's no teeth in it.

Meanwhile, we wait for the fatality stats to take a downturn.

Waiting...waiting...waiting....

— — — — —

Ok, I'll begrudgingly make a generous concession. IMHO, 10% education and 90% enforcement. That's the way it works in my home country, and the stats are a heck of a lot better than here.

100% enforcement with a F%*£*$$$ BIG STICK and they will soon learn

16 hours ago, lvr181 said:

OMG. Where are these people found? Couldn't do it before, thinks he can do it now! But, I will concede one point - it was a better response than what the current Government gave!

No will, no way unfortunately. Blind leading the blind comes to mind. TIT

More like the mentally impaired leading the blind.