Truck rams into crowd in Jerusalem, 4 dead, up to 15 reportedly injured

webfact

Truck rams into crowd in Jerusalem, 4 dead, up to 15 reportedly injured

(PHOTOS)

JERUSALEM: -- A truck rammed into pedestrians in Jerusalem, killing four people and injuring over a dozen, Israeli media reported. The driver of the truck was shot.

The incident is believed to be a deliberate attack. “It is a terrorist attack, a ramming attack,” a police spokeswoman said on Israel Radio.

Police wrote on Twitter that the truck driver apparently targeted a group of Israeli soldiers who had just gotten off a bus.

Photos taken at the scene show a Mercedes truck with windows riddled with bullet holes.

Full story: https://www.rt.com/news/372965-truck-attack-jerusalem-injured/

-- RT 2017-01-08

Jerusalem attack: Four dead after lorry driver rams soldiers

Four people have died In Jerusalem after a suspected terrorist rammed a lorry into a group of soldiers, Israeli police say.

Medics said three women and one man were killed and 15 people were injured.

"It is a terrorist attack, a ramming attack," a police spokeswoman said on Israel radio.

A bus driver who witnessed the incident told the station that the driver ploughed into the group before reversing over victims.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-38546740

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2017-01-08

4 killed in Jerusalem vehicle attack

By Oren Liebermann and Michael Schwartz, CNN

Eilat, Israel (CNN)At least four people were killed in a vehicular attack in Jerusalem, Israel's emergency services said Sunday.

Israel's foreign press spokesperson said this could be a "possible terrorist attack."

At least 15 other people were wounded when a truck veered off the road and rammed a group of soldiers.

Full story: http://us.cnn.com/2017/01/08/middleeast/jerusalem-vehicle-attack/index.html

cnn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright CNN 2017-01-08

2 minutes ago, elliss said:

Jerusalem  Holy  city .

The  world would be a safer place , without any religion.

Actually the world would be safer without humans!

After Islam Atheism is second for most humans killed. Christianity is a close third.

Israel: truck ‘rams soldiers’ in Jerusalem, casualties reported

606x341_354344.jpg

JERUSALEM: -- A truck is reported to have rammed into a group of soldiers in Jerusalem on Sunday.

According to medical sources, at least four Israeli soliders have been killed. Earlier, Israeli radio has said that at least three people were killed. Police and ambulance services said at least 15 people were injured.

A police spokesman has been quoted as saying that the truck ploughed into a group of soldiers who had got off a bus. Reports say the driver of the truck was shot dead.

Police have described it as a deliberate “terrorist” attack.

Early reports said it happened on a popular promenade overlooking the walled Old City.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2017-01-09

1 hour ago, dave_boo said:

Actually the world would be safer without humans!

After Islam Atheism is second for most humans killed. Christianity is a close third.

Really? From the top of my head I can't think of any serious crime, let alone murder or terrorist act being committed out of the name of atheism.

Really? From the top of my head I can't think of any serious crime, let alone murder or terrorist act being committed out of the name of atheism.

Bolshevism killed many. Before and after the October Revolution terror was their way of war.

Jerusalem truck attack – the latest

Joanna Gill

606x341_354351.jpg

four dead, (three women, one man), 13 wounded

driver shot dead

truck slammed into soldiers near Armon Hanatziv Promenade

a deliberate attack, say police

JERUSALEM: -- A truck has rammed into a group of Israeli soldiers in Jerusalem, killing four and wounding 13 others.

The attack happened on a popular promenade in the Armon Hanatziv neighborhood of Jerusalem.

What happened

A witness told local media that the truck ploughed into a crowd of people, before reversing back over them. The driver was shot dead at the scene.

“Just over half an hour ago a suspect was driving his truck into an area where there were a number of buses and people that were leaving the buses,” Micky Rosenfeld, police spokesman told reporters. “Special patrol units and police arrived at the scene and are still working at the scene, both forensics as well as special patrol units and a heightened security is continuing in Jerusalem after this morning’s terrorist attack,” he added.

The three victims, three women and one man, were all in their twenties.

Investigation

Israeli police are treating it as a deliberate attack. National police chief Roni Alsheich told reporters he could not rule out that the suspect was motivated by the Berlin Christmas Market truck attack, which killed 12 people last month.“It is difficult to get into the head of every individual to determine what prompted him, but there is no doubt that these things do have an effect,” Alsheich told reporters.

The police identified the driver was a Palestinian from Israeli-annexed East Jerusalem, but a gag order prevented them from releasing further information with an investigation underway.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the suspect was likely a supporter of the so-called Islamic State group.

“We know the identity of the attacker, according to all the signs he is a supporter of Islamic State. We have sealed off Jabel Mukabar, the neighbourhood from where he came, and we are carrying out other actions which I will not detail,” he said in a statement.

Wave of violence

The attack is one of the deadliest in a wave of stabbings, shootings and vehicle ramming assaults against Israelis in the past year.

These type of attacks have killed at least 37 Israelis and two visiting Americans over the past 15 months. Some 231 Palestinians have been killed in Israel, the occupied West Bank and the Gaza strip during the same period. Israel says at least 157 of those killed were assailants. The remainder were killed in clashes and protests.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2017-01-09

Just another day in Israel where the divide will never be bridged with such

acts of senseless and mindless killings of unarmed young soldiers of a study

tour, not even on duty or armed, and every time such despicable acts are

committed, a Palestinians statehood possibility diminishes further and further.... 

7 hours ago, Gene1960 said:

Bolshevism killed many. Before and after the October Revolution terror was their way of war.

Don;t be silly it wasn't to convert people to atheism. It was to hang on to power and remove opposition.

There is an old aphorism that runs something like this. If you kill my family, with the passage of time the wound heals to some extent and I will eventually maybe even make peace with you. My children are unlikely to pursue the hatred into the next generation. But if you steal my land, the very presence of the land is a constant reminder of what I have lost and peace can never be made.

I think that this is the root cause of the troubles in Israel and Palestine. The land which was once theirs is seen every day and reminders of what the Palestinians have lost is ever present.  It is also a little like today's families of victims of the holocaust are still anxious to reclaim what was stolen from them by the Nazis. You cannot bring people back but you can get their treasure.

There is no end to this conflict in our lifetimes.

11 hours ago, up-country_sinclair said:

Netanyahu is saying the driver has an allegiance to Daesh.    I have no idea whether or not this true, but he'd better hope it's not.

Netanyahu says a lot of things, and is rather notorious for using terrorist attacks to further political goals. I doubt that there is a direct connection to ISIS, enough other motivations without it.

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Just another day in Israel where the divide will never be bridged with such

acts of senseless and mindless killings of unarmed young soldiers of a study

tour, not even on duty or armed, and every time such despicable acts are

committed, a Palestinians statehood possibility diminishes further and further.... 

The soldiers were on duty and armed.

2 hours ago, retarius said:

There is an old aphorism that runs something like this. If you kill my family, with the passage of time the wound heals to some extent and I will eventually maybe even make peace with you. My children are unlikely to pursue the hatred into the next generation. But if you steal my land, the very presence of the land is a constant reminder of what I have lost and peace can never be made.

I think that this is the root cause of the troubles in Israel and Palestine. The land which was once theirs is seen every day and reminders of what the Palestinians have lost is ever present.  It is also a little like today's families of victims of the holocaust are still anxious to reclaim what was stolen from them by the Nazis. You cannot bring people back but you can get their treasure.

There is no end to this conflict in our lifetimes.

Sounds a bit convulsed to be counted as aphorism.

The "mandatory" Holocaust comparison is the usual garbage - or could you point out to ongoing violence and strife between Germany and Israel?

Edited by Morch

17 hours ago, elliss said:

Jerusalem  Holy  city .

You raise a good question which would take a lifetime of study. Religion is a double edged sword. I guess swords are best made into plow shares. 

There was a chance to make peace a few years ago , but now , the " point of no return " has been passed it seems .

Violence leads to more violence , and in the end all this violence creates a " climate " where nobody is able to living a happy live anymore .

it would have been more clever for the Israelis to make a few concessions that would eventually have lead to peace instead of ignoring everything and just doing whatever they want without caring for the consequencies .

Not very intelligent , but being deeply traumatised by the Holocaust , they apparently prefer to kill all and everything that might become a threat to Israel .

No need to talk about Israels international reputation , now they are famed to be the real " hardliners " who do not care about anything except themselves .

I am happy I do not have to live anywhere near , I am somebody who thinks that people should work together to solve problems that sometimes one alone cannot .

But it all goes the wrong way now ... it leads to more hate , war and destruction . Is that what the people want ? I doubt it .

""

Human Rights Watch said on Monday that video footage or witness accounts raised serious questions about many of the more than 150 instances in which Israeli forces have fatally shot Palestinians during attacks or attempted attacks on Israelis. ""

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-38501886

Edited by pumpuy

18 hours ago, elliss said:

Jerusalem  Holy  city .

Really? And what of Quakers who are pacifists? What of the religious Christians who have fed millions of starving people around the world for decades?

17 hours ago, Grouse said:

Truely appalling. How can anyone hope to justify such actions ?

The resident Israel & jew bashers of Thaiv Visa will be along soon enough. patience old boy, patience. 

9 hours ago, halloween said:

How long before we see something similar in Oz?

Bite your tongue. May Australia be spared such an event. The though of a maniac running down a bunch of shoppers is sickening.

Edited by geriatrickid