Savannakhet SETV

There is a notice on the door of the Thai Consulate stating SETV applicants require return tickets and a Thai bank book showing 20000 Baht. A person informed me there were many rejections today (8 Jan). I am applying tomorrow and will see. I didn't bring any financial information. 

I was in Savannakhet last Thursday (Jan 5th), and I was asked to submit a bank statement. In fact, I was there Wednesday, when they started asking for this, and didn't have enough time to go get a copy and return. However, I did learn that they will accept an ATM receipt, though you must have 20,000 thb in your account. They did NOT ask me for a plane ticket.

I have attached two photos from the consulate, taken by someone I met there last week who is still there, having problems getting his visa.

I'm curious to know if this is happening at other locations. If you know, please post your experience.

I'm also curious to hear the experiences of others, regardless of location, who are getting visas over the next few weeks. Are you supplying the same info, or is this a Savannakhet-only thing?

If anyone can point me to an official announcement (ahem, from the Thai government, not simply from an embassy or consulate) of these changes, I would appreciate that.

If we could use this post to gather information about these changes, I'm sure it would be appreciated by a lot of TV members. 

51171.jpg

51172.jpg

• Like 2

It is not said that the bank statement must be from a Thai bank account. Not many genuine tourist would have such a bank book. Also credit cards, what many tourists are using, are not mentioned. Would cc be accepted. We will see.

34 minutes ago, wobalt said:

It is not said that the bank statement must be from a Thai bank account. Not many genuine tourist would have such a bank book. Also credit cards, what many tourists are using, are not mentioned. Would cc be accepted. We will see.

Yes, this is a very good point.

My own bank statement was from BKK Bank. I presented a print-out of my statement, NOT my bank book...and this was fine. In addition, when I was standing in line, I noticed that another American showed a bank statement from a US bank, and I think he was fine. I also noted that someone tried to show a credit card and was refused. The purpose is to show that you have at least 20,000 THB, and a credit card doesn't exactly do this.

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

and a Thai bank book showing 20000 Baht

I very much doubt that a Thai bank book is compulsory and IMO should be avoided if making repeat applications. The MFA requirement is to show 20K which could be in cash.

9 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

This is not a new rule, just new they are enforcing it at Savanakhet.  You also should have 20K in cash or travelers checks when attempting to enter Thailand.   In theory, all the screening for Tourist Visas should be done at the consulate, and only Visa Exempts would need to prove anything at the border.

I agree it is not enough - at least 70K on a bank-statement would be more in keeping with a minimal stay.  This would stop many of the "bad guys" (poor people) they say they are worried about getting in.  Who cares "how many times" you come, as long as you have the money and don't cause trouble?

I agree that this is way too low. I spoke with an American in Savannakhet who was going back to Issan after he got his visa. Admittedly, Issan is cheaper than Bangkok, but even he figured that 20K was not enough to get him through 2-3 months...and he's only paying like 1500 thb for rent.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, brizz said:

I agree that this is way too low. I spoke with an American in Savannakhet who was going back to Issan after he got his visa. Admittedly, Issan is cheaper than Bangkok, but even he figured that 20K was not enough to get him through 2-3 months...and he's only paying like 1500 thb for rent.

Yes, doesn't equate with the minimum 65,000 baht a month required for a 1-year extension (retirement). I've a feeling they're just regarding it as emergency funds and that most people have access to funds kept elsewhere that they could access if needed. I could be wrong.

As usual, somebody starts out posting garbage, and now it's going to get repeated a million times.

The signage does NOT say an applicant needs a THAI bank book (which few tourists are OBVIOUSLY going to have - some here will even argue CAN'T have!), and the 20K baht requirement is actually nothing new (just new that this particular consulate is suddenly pursuing it).  I'm a little apprehensive about throwing around copies of my bank statements in third world countries (well, even in first world countries TBH...), but once again, overstayers, deadbeats, and tourist visa abusers generally inconvenience the rest of us.   Thank THEM.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

As usual, somebody starts out posting garbage, and now it's going to get repeated a million times.

The signage does NOT say an applicant needs a THAI bank book (which few tourists are OBVIOUSLY going to have - some here will even argue CAN'T have!), and the 20K baht requirement is actually nothing new (just new that this particular consulate is suddenly pursuing it).  I'm a little apprehensive about throwing around copies of my bank statements in third world countries (well, even in first world countries TBH...), but once again, overstayers, deadbeats, and tourist visa abusers generally inconvenience the rest of us.   Thank THEM.

I've never overstayed, but have no idea what overstayers' actions (addressed by the bans) have to do with enforcement of this provision.  Also, no idea what a "tourist visa abuser" is - unless you mean people who take Thai jobs without a work-permit, but that illegal-behavior could be carried out on any visa or extension.

Take a few steps back, and you might conclude that what is happening with immigration has little to do with what foreigners are doing or are not doing.  I see a willingness to sacrifice inputs to their own economy to reduce "farang" numbers, and simultaneously, economically-punish parts of the country which have been supportive of certain political elements (consider the chronic under-staffing of the Chang Mai immi-office, in addition to the 2-max land-crossing rule).  Of course we get the "bad guys" shtick, and official pronouncements to justify the actions taken - but that's what all governments do (all that I've studied in history and recent-history, anyway). 

In general, I support 'nationalism' for all people/cultures, even if it bites me, a foreigner, in the backside.  But I do dislike some means of its pursuit, here and now, to the extent it negatively affects the economic opportunities of poorer people and communities.  Properly done, a 'nationalist' agenda should have the opposite effect.

• Like 1

Savannakhet update.

I got a ticket which means my SETV application will probably be okay.  I had gone to an Internet cafe and printed out my UK bank balance.  I was questioned for some time. Others were rejected on the grounds of insufficient funds. Everybody was questioned irrespective of visa. 

16 hours ago, JackThompson said:

This is not a new rule, just new they are enforcing it at Savanakhet.  You also should have 20K in cash or travelers checks when attempting to enter Thailand.   In theory, all the screening for Tourist Visas should be done at the consulate, and only Visa Exempts would need to prove anything at the border.

I agree it is not enough - at least 70K on a bank-statement would be more in keeping with a minimal stay.  This would stop many of the "bad guys" (poor people) they say they are worried about getting in.  Who cares "how many times" you come, as long as you have the money and don't cause trouble?

The government is worried about "(poor people)" ?

The Thai government regards a "bad guy" as someone who overstays:

“Good guys in, bad guys out”, says Thailand Immigration chief ...

www.thaivisa.com › Forum Home › News › Thailand News

BANGKOK:-- “Good guys in, bad guys out” is the message from Pol. Lt. Gen. Nathathorn Prousoontorn, Immigration Bureau Commissioner, as immigration officials prepare to launch its latest crackdown foreign visitors who overstay their visas.

Not people who happen to have less money than you.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Savannakhet update.

I got a ticket which means my SETV application will probably be okay.  I had gone to an Internet cafe and printed out my UK bank balance.  I was questioned for some time. Others were rejected on the grounds of insufficient funds. Everybody was questioned irrespective of visa. 

I have a friend who was told before he got on the bus to do a run for a SETV visa that he wouldn't be allowed one. Regardless of bank statement, etc. He simply had too many SETV's in his passport.

It's getting harder for people to stay here on SETV week by week, it seems. 

4 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I have a friend who was told before he got on the bus to do a run for a SETV visa that he wouldn't be allowed one. Regardless of bank statement, etc. He simply had too many SETV's in his passport.

It's getting harder for people to stay here on SETV week by week, it seems. 

Who was it that told your friend that ?

Just now, sanemax said:

Who was it that told your friend that ?

A visa run company in Bangkok. Not sure which one. He went to get the bus at night and they said there was no point. I think he went to the border with them and luckily was allowed to do an in and out. 

1 minute ago, rkidlad said:

A visa run company in Bangkok. Not sure which one. He went to get the bus at night and they said there was no point. I think he went to the border with them and luckily was allowed to do an in and out. 

Shouldnt take much notice of visa run companies, The Thai Consulate in Savvanakhet usually tell people they wont issue them with a visa next time , but issue them with one this time

46 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Savannakhet update.

Were they giving a hard time to the guys applying for the multi entry Non o visas based on marriage?

I thought it was usually a no questions asked kind of place. 

• Like 1

I had a similar experience in Penang/sadao . No processing of visa until afternoon ,was told by visarun company it is a new "stamper" and he didn't want to be seen to provide "favours "(expediate process for Tea money) and get in trouble.  Then we had to give our 200 baht "expedition" fee to our drivers at Sadao (same thing if we dont see you taking money its OK)  but he forgot to tell my imigration officer, who then demanded to see the 20000. All Ok in the end, but i think they are trying to stick by the rules (at least for the first couple of months for the year.)

38 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

To be fair, he had a lot of SETV's. He also had a note written in his passport from the last time he got a visa.

I think the visa run company were being honest and decent about it. 

2 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

To be fair, he had a lot of SETV's. He also had a note written in his passport from the last time he got a visa.

I think the visa run company were being honest and decent about it. 

Ah, if hes already had a warning, then the visa run company  were giving him sensible advice

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wobalt said:

I agree. I would have thought that having a Thai bank account proved hat you were NOT a 'genuine'  tourist. But Hey! We are dealing with Lala Land here!

Also surely having 20,000thb in cash should suffice. I carried this last December just in case I was asked....but was not. I was, however, asked for a copy of my flight ticket back to the UK which isnt till April when the SETV issued will expire in February!

21 hours ago, alocacoc said:

20k Baht? That makes no sense. Who can stay 60 or 90 Days with 20k? On the same time they don't let people in on land borders on visa exempt, even they show 100k. Makes all no sense. Not at all.

Lala Land again................... :wacko: !!!

1 hour ago, SunsetT said:

I agree. I would have thought that having a Thai bank account proved hat you were NOT a 'genuine'  tourist. But Hey! We are dealing with Lala Land here!

Also surely having 20,000thb in cash should suffice. I carried this last December just in case I was asked....but was not. I was, however, asked for a copy of my flight ticket back to the UK which isnt till April when the SETV issued will expire in February!

I am not sure what precise rules on finances Savannakhet are applying to issue tourist visas. I do know that Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi will not accept cash. They want something for their records. A photocopy of a bank statement from anywhere is sufficient.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, alocacoc said:

20k Baht? That makes no sense. Who can stay 60 or 90 Days with 20k? On the same time they don't let people in on land borders on visa exempt, even they show 100k. Makes all no sense. Not at all.

That's Thailand for you.

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

That's Thailand for you.

I know that well. Actually, due all these unclear rules, some tourists will just choose another destination. I'm sure, the Thai authorities didn't that take into their equation. How difficult can it be to create and communicate rules which are valid for all embassies and consulates?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

The signage does NOT say an applicant needs a THAI bank book (which few tourists are OBVIOUSLY going to have - some here will even argue CAN'T have!), and the 20K baht requirement is actually nothing new (just new that this particular consulate is suddenly pursuing it).  I'm a little apprehensive about throwing around copies of my bank statements in third world countries (well, even in first world countries TBH...), but once again, overstayers, deadbeats, and tourist visa abusers generally inconvenience the rest of us.   

are you here long term?  If yes why on SETV? Are you not included in  one of those you mentioned above as well then?

Edited by Deepinthailand
  • Like 1