Speed Cameras Coming to Chiang Mai

webfact

Speed Cameras Coming to Chiang Mai

by CityNews

camera.jpg

CityNews – The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) announced today that they will be setting up speed cameras around Chiang Mai in a bid to combat speeding drivers, and reduce accident rates in the province.

Thana Nuawplod, the head of management and strategy at the Chiang Mai DDPM Office, said that the project would see speed cameras being set up around the city and out of town to crack down on people driving too fast on the roads.

Anyone caught speeding will be issued a fine through the post which must be paid within 15 days. Their annual road tax would also be increased each time they commit a speeding offence.

Full story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/speed-cameras-coming-to-chiang-mai/

changmainews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Chiang City News 2017-01-11

Great idea!

Another idea is to start calculating the distance and the time it takes to go from point A to Point B on these toll road. When you pay your ticket before getting off if you exceeded the speed limit they fine you 500 ++ baht for speeding. People would then start to learn that speeding can be costly.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

Good , its about time something is been done about speeding cars and motorbikes.

Now also install camera's at traffic lights please.

Be careful what you ask for...because it may be you ticketed for speeding.  Sometimes I don't even realize when I'm a few KMH over the speed limit.  And if the speed limit in a particular spot happens to be ridiculously low, it could happen to most anybody.  Personally, I do not like the idea.

They should first install them at junctions,for the red light runners, 

they  could pay for themselves in a week,and save a lot of lives and

injuries. 

Sometimes you have to suspect, speed cameras are more about 

filling the coffers,than improving road safety,something that Thailand

is not that good at.

regards worgeordie

1 hour ago, ttthailand said:

Great idea!

Another idea is to start calculating the distance and the time it takes to go from point A to Point B on these toll road. When you pay your ticket before getting off if you exceeded the speed limit they fine you 500 ++ baht for speeding. People would then start to learn that speeding can be costly.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Why? How many actual toll roads are there?

This was(is?) used on French toll roads. Cars used to pull up before the toll gate and park/stay in services if they knew they had been going over the limit.

Can you imaging the queues at the toll gates here if they tried it on the 7 or 9.

There are already speed cameras on the 7 and others elsewhere. As other posters have suggested unfortunately in Europe they seem to be used more as a revenue gathering exercise these days - you really want to open this box here?

First they have to make the roads and signs clear as well where city starts and stops. Make all more clear and understandable reduces many accidents

They already have things like highway entree and exit points and can calcute the service fee to be paid when speeding.

Beside the suatem they have in and aroind Bangkok

There are so many way to register speedin as in peek speeding and distance speeding and all the cctv linked toghter they can fine you over the way you traveld.

Soeedong becomes more and more fin for the rich.

Edited by Autonuaq

Surely they need to let us know the speed limit first?.

Is Route 11 a motorway? I've heard people say it is making the speed limit 120kph, but if its not, the limit is 90kph, or 80kph for pick ups and trucks. Some people say only the Bangkok tollways are motorways, so if you have a pick up, you're maxing out at 80kph all the way to Bangkok.

Anyone?

I agree with having cameras for the 'red light runners' but the strangest thing Ive come across lately is that its not just people approaching the lights that run the red light.  The last few days Ive had to go into CM from Mae Rim on my bike and it seems that scooter riders have a bit of a death wish.

At some intersections they are halfway to three quarters across the intersection before the light turns green.  Im surprised I havent seen one being taken out yet but Im sure if they continue driving like this that it wont be long before I do.  I for one wont stop to help these idiots, and I do feel sorry for the poor soul that does hit these risk takers.

Its not just Thais either.  I saw a big boof headed white guy going down Thae Pai road two days ago.  Sitting atop his Ducati Monster with a soda can muffler.... revving the crap out of it should anyone get in his way.  Then he'd drop it down a gear and weave his way at speed to get past everyone.  Pity his bald head didnt hit a road sign... might have knocked some sense into him.  Mind you he wasnt wearing a 'skid lid" so perhaps his cranium is too thick to react anyways.

Some people just love dicing with their lives....even when the odds are against them..

Speed cameras wont have much impact on the boy racer brigade. They will get word of where the cameras are and just find another area to annoy.  Perhaps if the BiB just did their job and start enforcing the road rules then we may see a change in the way people drive....but Im not holding my breath.  I know they see infringements all the time, but they do nothing about it. There is more revenue to be made in stopping tourists on their scooters going out to Tiger Kingdom.   Lanna Golf course checkpoint does a roaring trade most days...not so much lately though as the BiB cant afford for their uniforms to shrink any further in all this rain we have been having.

There a a few traffic lights I don't dare to stop, that is if there is not cars stopped already waiting. Like at the Tha Phae gate 3 way, coming from the southern side... stopping there with a skitooter? Alone? Waiting for the light to go green? One of those red farang cattle wagons are gonna plow you down!

It's kindof a good idea in my book, but whoa! I want to see others comply first!

There are already several on 118 (which is a road that's pretty conducive to driving fast in sections)- I got this from another forum:

image.jpg

It looks like the cameras shoot the front plate of vehicles, so bikes aren't going to be affected as they're plated only in the rear.  There are also many more electronic signs that display your speed as you pass as a potential warning, which encourages large-displacement motorcycles to accelerate past them to see what they can hit (but that might just be me...)

I really don't get it - why are so many Farang here keen to change Thailand to the same overregulated monster, they were trying to leave behind them?

Instead of acting positive and improving traffic education and improving the drivers' ability, it will lead to the same effects as in Europe:

- setting traffic signs up for the weakest, who either cannot look ahead or lack the most basic driving skills, so 40 km/h, where every average driver could go with 80 km/h plus

- not setting up cameras, where it would have the most effect (eg. schools), but where the effect for the city coffers is the biggest

When I first came to Thailand, I remember the BKK-Chonburi highway with no speed limits (except the standard 120 km/h) ... every Taxi driver was going with 150 km/h. But I don't remember having seen any serious accident.

Now, you have speed cams and speed limits everywhere, but you also constantly see some accident.

IMO, years before, the Thai drove unorthodox, but elegant - compared to my home country (not the USA, where I have problems not to fall asleep behind the steering wheel).

Then came Mrs. Thank-You-3-times car loan program, increasing the number of cars two-fold (-add in to that: every 7/11-seller and cleaner earning enough to buy a scooter-).

Unfortunately, only the vehicles were subsidized, not the driving education. So the newcomers are getting their D/L at a far lower age based on the old standards, but instead of having the chance to learn by experience, they are immediately confronted with far heavier traffic and more powerful cars.

... I'll get my coat ...