Racism, anger and why dual pricing makes sense to Thai people

snoop1130

If being charged any amount more than a local purely on the basis of the colour of their skin isn't racist then I really don't know what is. I visited their crappy litter strewn parks when I was first here and won't do it again. I also immediately call them out on it if ever I'm charged 'the farang price'. The 'simply walking calmly away' teaches them nothing. 

A Thai neighbour was taken aback when her mae baan told her she'd been asked whether a bell pepper she'd been sent to buy from the local market was for a Thai or a farang :blink:, which just goes to show how insidious this practice is. It's racism pure and simple no matter how you want to dress it up in this overtly racist country. What's the first thing any government of any stripe does when in power? Tighten visa regulations/make a big show of clamping down on the farang which they therefore must believe to be a crowd pleaser. What does that tell you?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I do in other places because I have more confidence the donation will be used in the correct way.

Yes, because them not having money is obviously going to help protect Thaiands natural resources.  And you were just calling people arogant, hilarious.

Just now, dageurreotype said:

If being charged any amount more than a local purely on the basis of the colour of their skin isn't racist then I really don't know what is. I visited their crappy litter strewn parks when I was first here and won't do it again. I also immediately call them out on it if ever I'm charged 'the farang price'. The 'simply walking calmly away' teaches them nothing. 

A Thai neighbour was taken aback when her mae baan told her she'd been asked whether a bell pepper she'd been sent to buy from the local market was for a Thai or a farang :blink:, which just goes to show how insidious this practice is. It's racism pure and simple no matter how you want to dress it up in this overtly racist country. What's the first thing any government of any stripe does when in power? Tighten visa regulations/make a big show of clamping down on the farang which they therefore must believe to be a crowd pleaser. What does that tell you?

"If being charged any amount more than a local purely on the basis of the colour of their skin " you are charged because you are foreigner? not because Caucasian. Filipinos who are Asians, are charged the same.

in this topic you just show the same mentality as American "social justice warriors":

"if I did not get a job I wanted this is not because I am an illegal immigrant, don't have a qualification or proper education and smoke crack -this is because I am not white"

wishful thinking again.

"It's racism pure and simple no matter how you want to dress it up in this overtly racist country." so why are you still here?!

1 minute ago, thetruth revealer said:

DUAL STANDARD , dont do what i do but do what i tell you ...?

so refugees in EU are victims of double standards? because they have to do no the same things as citizens of the
EU. so why are you still in Thailand instead of fighting for equality at your own country?

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Recent trip to Scotland and on a visit to an old castle my wife paid more than me to go in.

Note. I have missed the reason why so that others can make up their own or just tell my wife if she complains she can go home.

You got the senior citizen OAP discount

Many think that is racist

But its called looking after those who paid into the system for over 40 years and deserve the discount

8 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Try You are paying guests with below par customer service and hassle every 90 days

A bit nearer the truth

If we did this in the UK to Thais what would happen in your view?

so why are you still here?

"If we did this in the UK to Thais what would happen in your view?" i would say that you have a full right to do so at your homeland. but left-liberal fundamentalists will never let you do that. you can't even exit the EU (even if the majority said so!) and it's unelected leftist bureaucrats. and you still believe you can choose something?

lol

Edited by Matt96

11 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

You're right of course, but I find it a shame that although I FAR prefer to give ordinary locals my money rather than wealthy companies/supermarkets etc., I eventually learned that it was easier and less annoying to buy from shops that had prices displayed - i.e. supermarkets and the like, so the market stalls lost out on the money I spent :sad:.

Electricians/plumbers/handymen etc. are more of a problem as big companies aren't interested in small jobs but, even so, those tradespeople have also lost out as whereas previously I'd call them out for every little job - once it became obvious the cost was increasingly dramatically, I gave up on the little things that just made my life easier and now only use them when absolutely necessary.

I once broke down the cost quoted by a local builder, my wife buying the materials, not me and it worked out that it was going to be 1500 baht a day for each man. When I questioned the rate he started talking to my wife and not me, she just smiled and said talk to my husband. He was blatant in his attitude that I should pay double the 'normal' rate.

He didn't get the work.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Matt96 said:

and why do you care? mind your own business at your own homeland. or is there a paradise built already? so why are you still here?

lol

I just work here, its where the company parked me. No paradise , just the everyday slog working with those who have little forward thinking.

5 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

I asked a street vendor for a broom he said "250 baht".  It's a 35 baht broom mind you.  As I was retrieving a 50 baht note which was going to be my counter offer as I needed it that moment.   He saw my money and raised the price to 300 baht.  I rode away but not before laughing heartily in his face. 

I don't give them a second chance.

if they try the rip off,     the deal is over.

i will buy from the next place or not at all.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

Yes, because them not having money is obviously going to help protect Thaiands natural resources.  And you were just calling people arogant, hilarious.

I don't visit national parks in Thailand, most likely never will. I might do in other countries for so many reasons that don't exist here.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ThaiWai said:

I asked a street vendor for a broom he said "250 baht".  It's a 35 baht broom mind you.  As I was retrieving a 50 baht note which was going to be my counter offer as I needed it that moment.   He saw my money and raised the price to 300 baht.  I rode away but not before laughing heartily in his face. 

Let me guess, you were not wearing a nice clean shirt with a collar.

6 minutes ago, maxpower said:

I just work here, its where the company parked me. No paradise , just the everyday slog working with those who have little forward thinking.

That cannot be true, don't you realise that 'all' of us came here for easy women, cheap booze as much as we can possibly drink every day and then complain how terrible the place is.

On January 13, 2560 BE at 7:37 PM, Shawn0000 said:

Except this is not racism, Asians also get charged the foreigner rate.  Is it also racism  in your opinion that is the motivation behind Switzerlands and Japans dual pricing offering lower rates for tourists?

Correct....It is discrimination.

27 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

You got the senior citizen OAP discount

Many think that is racist

But its called looking after those who paid into the system for over 40 years and deserve the discount

Yep and all my wife said was can we come back in 5 years so I can do the same, with a laugh by the way.

?

The price difference applies to all foreigners/non-citizens AFAIK, although it appears that ownership of a Driving Licence (or wife?) may qualify one as an "insider".

There is no Thai "race".

There are three racial groupings: Mongloid, Caucasoid  and Negroid.  Naturally they have tended to mix and sub-mix. 

The peoples of Thailand (they are not all the "same")  belong, with all the other peoples of the East, to the Mongloid Race, of which there are 3 Mongloid sub-races.

It is the most widely spread race, containing the native peoples of the Americas.

The differences that they have between their fellow race members (Japanese, Koreans and Chinese for example) are based on Ethnicity (Culture and Language).

It is the same with the peoples of the other two race groups.

How is their policy "racist" when it is also applied to Japanese, Korean and Chinese visitors?

It is something else entirely.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, onthesoi said:

So when Thais rock up to airports in Europe do they automatically get 30 day visas on arrival?

& do they scream to the UN about the answer you're about to give?

no but your PM and Embassy do complain to the home office and suggest we make it easier for Thais who are chefs and masseurs to get in

Don't think we need either of those two trades, the later was just convicted yet again for running a brothel

OFF TOPIC BUT A CORRECT ANSWER to your question

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Enoon said:

The price difference applies to all foreigners/non-citizens AFAIK, although it appears that ownership of a Driving Licence (or wife?) may qualify one as an "insider".

There is no Thai "race".

There are three racial groupings: Mongloid, Caucasoid  and Negroid.

The peoples of Thailand (they are not all the "same")  belong, with all the other peoples of the East, to the Mongloid Race, of which there are 3 sub-races.

It is the most widely spread race, containing the native peoples of the Americas.

The differences that they have between their fellow race members (Japanese, Koreans and Chinese for example) are based on Ethnicity (Culture and Language).

How is their policy "racist" when it is also applied to Japanese, Korean and Chinese visitors?

8 minutes ago, Enoon said:

There is no Thai "race".

There are three racial groupings: Mongloid, Caucasoid  and Negroid.

The peoples of Thailand (they are not all the "same")  belong, with all the other peoples of the East, to the Mongloid Race, of which there are 3 sub-races.

True but now it's used as an expression for dislike or hate for another nationality.

50 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I once broke down the cost quoted by a local builder, my wife buying the materials, not me and it worked out that it was going to be 1500 baht a day for each man. When I questioned the rate he started talking to my wife and not me, she just smiled and said talk to my husband. He was blatant in his attitude that I should pay double the 'normal' rate.

He didn't get the work.

It doesn't 'work' for either the locals or expats when the locals  lose out on work/business, and the expats lose out on having small jobs done at a reasonable cost and spend their money in supermarkets rather than market stalls.

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

It doesn't 'work' for either the local tradesmen or expats when the tradesmen lose out on work, and the expats lose out on having small jobs done at a reasonable cost - and by reasonable, when they started off charging small amounts, I paid more than requested anyway if I thought they'd done a good job.

thats the crackpoint, how can we be genereous if they initally try to rip off??

• Like 1