Bar or Restaurant staff salary, how much do they get ? Any REAL example ? Less than 10000 ?

BsBs

I agree,if you are talking about restaurant staff,then the wage is about 3/350 a day plus a share of pooled tips.But if,and its a bloody big if you are talking about bar girls,which you say,Then the sky's the limit,if she is beautiful,sexy and willing,different game old son,different game.And even then it has to be on a main street like Bukhoew or walking street.As for the dark side and outer area's, theres no customers,so the birds are a bit ropey.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/16/2017 at 4:40 AM, BsBs said:

Yes I guess that 300 thb / day is the minimum anywhere in Thailand at any restaurant but many people do a lot more than 10000 thb/month

Actually the min wage for 2017 has changed. It is different in some regions. It starts at 300B,  in bangkok it is 310B and in some other regions is 305 and 308B a day.  

My friend owns a restaurant and he is paying minimum wage. Most thais dont leave tips and if they do it's only the coins so tips are not much so they mainly rely on their salary, however this does depend on the place. 

OP at 300B a day 26 days a month that is 7,800B so yes most make less than 10K a month.

Edited by ericthai

6 hours ago, planr said:

A few friends with restaurants targeting both expats / white collar thais in central Bangkok are willing to pay up to THB 25,000 - 30,000 for Thai staff that can effectively communicate in English (not fluent mind you, but enough to make life easy for non-Thai speaking clientele). 

Dont believe this. Please tell me where my wife will take a job.  I have a chemist and an Engineer working for us and they are only getting paid between 20K -30K a month. 

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 4:07 PM, Xaos said:

We pay 15+k for simple office jobs with bonuses. No degrees and they still quit or being lazy

WOW where is your office? My gf started a new job 2 weeks ago as accountant with univ degree for only 7000 bht. Get a raise in 3 months of 1500 bht. And this is not the first time. She usualy do many overtime to get a salary of 15000 bht.

So if there is somebody who have an accounting/office job for her with a decent salary area Pathum Thani just give me a buzz.

Friend of mine has small (20 seat) restaurant around on nut. 

He pays 9000 month, plus 1000 bonus if no days off/not late, plus share of tips and free meals

no degree, hours 4-pm till 11pm weekdays, 10 till midnight weekends (wednesdays off)

18 hours ago, planr said:

A few friends with restaurants targeting both expats / white collar thais in central Bangkok are willing to pay up to THB 25,000 - 30,000 for Thai staff that can effectively communicate in English (not fluent mind you, but enough to make life easy for non-Thai speaking clientele). 

absolute B S.

4 minutes ago, sirmud63 said:
18 hours ago, planr said:

absolute B S.

Do you run a successful restaurant or any other business in Bangkok?

I will be looking for staff for my new food based business and for a supervisor who can speak English well enough that he/she can work with me, I will most likely start them on a salary of about 20,000 THB with bonuses etc (travels costs paid, free lunch, insurance, etc).   After one year I would expect to increase their base salary to closer to 25K a month.

1 minute ago, seancbk said:

I will be looking for staff for my new food based business and for a supervisor who can speak English well enough that he/she can work with me, I will most likely start them on a salary of about 20,000 THB with bonuses etc (travels costs paid, free lunch, insurance, etc).   After one year I would expect to increase their base salary to closer to 25K a month.

nop, i run my own resturant ,very successully in chaing mia. ..you are a dreamer pal. good luck to you  .

36 minutes ago, sirmud63 said:

nop, i run my own resturant ,very successully in chaing mia. ..you are a dreamer pal. good luck to you  .

Depends on the restaurant . You wouldn't get away with paying peanuts in an upscale bkk restaurant . My SIL is the accounts manager for a top restaurant in one of the exclusive malls in bkk and she's forever complaining that they can't keep staff even when the base rate is between 15-20 k a month . The days of cheap labour are coming to an end in bkk why do you think most mall workers are now Burmese ? 

3 minutes ago, sirmud63 said:
8 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Good luck to you too.   But Chiang Mai is not Bangkok and a restaurant here may be successful without needing English speaking staff, but some higher end places definitely need them and pay accordingly.

You cannot tell me that the restaurant manager at somewhere like the New York Steak house (JW Marriott, Bangkok) is working for 10,000 a month.   I'd expect him to be on at least 25K.

Have a look at their menu - http://jwmarriottbangkok.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/NYS-A-LA-CARTE-MENU-JANUARY-2017.pdf

I've just spoken to a mate with a successful business in Bangkok.  He has about 4 sales staff in his office who speak pretty good English and he pays them between 30K to 50K plus commission on top of their salaries.   Not restaurant jobs but also a clear indication that even office jobs often pay more than some people on this forum seem to think.

Not every Thai is working for peanuts.  

6 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Good luck to you too.   But Chiang Mai is not Bangkok and a restaurant here may be successful without needing English speaking staff, but some higher end places definitely need them and pay accordingly.

You cannot tell me that the restaurant manager at somewhere like the New York Steak house (JW Marriott, Bangkok) is working for 10,000 a month.   I'd expect him to be on at least 25K.

Have a look at their menu - http://jwmarriottbangkok.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/NYS-A-LA-CARTE-MENU-JANUARY-2017.pdf

I've just spoken to a mate with a successful business in Bangkok.  He has about 4 sales staff in his office who speak pretty good English and he pays them between 30K to 50K plus commission on top of their salaries.   Not restaurant jobs but also a clear indication that even office jobs often pay more than some people on this forum seem to think.

Not every Thai is working for peanuts.  

You can't have any type of life in bkk on minimum wage . most the middle class Thais I know are on a minimum of 30 k plus . And even then they struggle without extravagant lifestyles (much the same as most westerners) rent for a half decent place is 10 k if they have a car payment they are literally skint !! A middle of the road income in bkk is around 50k a month to be doing ok . 

2 hours ago, seancbk said:

Who says that will be a success?

10 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:
2 hours ago, seancbk said:

Who says that will be a success?

I didn't say it would be, although I certainly hope it is and my research etc seems to indicate that it has a good chance.

I merely asked the poster I was commenting to if he had a successful restaurant or other business in Bangkok, because he was claiming that another poster was talking rubbish.   If he doesn't have a successful business or runs a restaurant in Bangkok then perhaps he doesn't know what he's talking about (often the case with people on this forum).

As it turns out he has what he calls a successful restaurant in Chiang Mai and it may very well be.  But it isn't in Bangkok and I doubt very much its a place where the bill would be in the region of 3000 - 5000 THB per person for dinner.

16 hours ago, Foexie said:

WOW where is your office? My gf started a new job 2 weeks ago as accountant with univ degree for only 7000 bht. Get a raise in 3 months of 1500 bht. And this is not the first time. She usualy do many overtime to get a salary of 15000 bht.

So if there is somebody who have an accounting/office job for her with a decent salary area Pathum Thani just give me a buzz.

What kind of overtime to double her salary...

:-)

23 minutes ago, BsBs said:

Hello,

Can I know your tricks to keep your staff ? Or are you all fighting with turn over ?

Thank you.

my thai chef has been working with me now for 2 years . she is very smart girl , but dosnt speak much english. and we teach each other our differant cooking styles .we have alot of fun in the kitchen ,and our working relationship is built on mutual respect . the wait staff come and go as the seasons change , hi and low . the trick with keeping good staff is simple . dont be a boss . be a leader . teach them and show them respect , and they will follow .  ohhh and pay them accordingly.

Edited by sirmud63

The staff are usually paid the absolute basic wage, even less if it`s cash in hand. Some of the younger female staff will give some special desserts to supplement their basic wage and I know of some bars where the staff don`t get paid a wage at all and rely on customers tips for their incomes, no need to detail what kind of extras they provide. 

If they work for well known restaurants or fast food chains, then it`s the basic wage unless they are promoted to managers.

Many factual posts (including my own) evidence the fact that many staff in the catering trade are paid 10k or less.

Odd posts about staff salaries in expensive hotels or restaurants in Bangkok bear no relation whatsoever to average or median salaries. 

With an average of 13.8k there must be many below 10k

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/wages

Just now, paulsingle said:

Many factual posts (including my own) evidence the fact that many staff in the catering trade are paid 10k or less.

Odd posts about staff salaries in expensive hotels or restaurants in Bangkok bear no relation whatsoever to average or median salaries. 

With an average of 13.8k there must be many below 10k

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/wages

Why would it be odd ? If 13.8 k is the median then there must also be many making above 10k . 

1 minute ago, chrisandsu said:

Why would it be odd ? If 13.8 k is the median then there must also be many making above 10k . 

I think this figure is quoted as the average.

In the UK the average salary is over £26k but the median and average are different. More than half the salary earners earn less than 26k and a large number of salaries are under 18k. A significant number are earning the minimum wage which would be around 15k.

I think the point here is that many people in Thailand are earning less than 10k a month.

On 1/19/2017 at 5:48 PM, BsBs said:

You friends are liars. It's clearly impossible.

22 hours ago, ericthai said:

Dont believe this. Please tell me where my wife will take a job.  I have a chemist and an Engineer working for us and they are only getting paid between 20K -30K a month. 

10 hours ago, sirmud63 said:

absolute B S.

The flagship restaurant has been in business for nearly 10 years and there are now multiple branches. The partners are also involved in the hospitality business and have a number successful properties in Bangkok and elsewhere in Thailand. Whether you choose to believe this is what they deem necessary to thrive is up to you - I only see a successful group of businesses doing what they need to do. 

16 minutes ago, planr said:

The flagship restaurant has been in business for nearly 10 years and there are now multiple branches. The partners are also involved in the hospitality business and have a number successful properties in Bangkok and elsewhere in Thailand. Whether you choose to believe this is what they deem necessary to thrive is up to you - I only see a successful group of businesses doing what they need to do. 

Glad they are doing good.  i think they might have made the mistake allot of expats make and start out paying too much in the first place.

I almost did the same when i first started my company, but a few Thai friends of mine that owned companies helped me set pay rates and find good employees. A thai sees an expat and they want big dollars to do nothing.

My one friend's wife used to work for hutch when they were in Thailand. She was Assistant Vice president of Thailand operations and she was only making 45K a month. That was back in 2003 or so. This is a top job in the company. I know plant managers that have master degrees and they have 100+ workers and only make 60K a month. 

55 minutes ago, ericthai said:

Glad they are doing good.  i think they might have made the mistake allot of expats make and start out paying too much in the first place.

I almost did the same when i first started my company, but a few Thai friends of mine that owned companies helped me set pay rates and find good employees. A thai sees an expat and they want big dollars to do nothing.

My one friend's wife used to work for hutch when they were in Thailand. She was Assistant Vice president of Thailand operations and she was only making 45K a month. That was back in 2003 or so. This is a top job in the company. I know plant managers that have master degrees and they have 100+ workers and only make 60K a month. 

Indeed...I have a friend who is a professor at Chula (in a Humanities discipline); she has a PhD from a prestigious school in the UK.  Last time she told me her monthly salary (around 10 years ago, but I can't imagine it's gone up that much since), it was barely 20k.

2 minutes ago, Saastrajaa said:

Indeed...I have a friend who is a professor at Chula (in a Humanities discipline); she has a PhD from a prestigious school in the UK.  Last time she told me her monthly salary (around 10 years ago, but I can't imagine it's gone up that much since), it was barely 20k.

My SIL is an auditing accountant who in auditing season makes in the millions of baht a season . Nearly all friends make the same . You have to go to certain schools here to make the real

money