A customer has murdered his barber because he didn't like the way he cut his hair

webfact

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

... And the least understood by foreigners, especially on this Forum, who are happy to just call it stupid, without making the slightest effort in understanding where it stems from and what purpose it serves, not only in Thai society but in all of Asia.

Every society harbours behaviours which can be utterly disconcerting to foreigners, but the locals see it as normal because it's part of the early-age brainwashing process called 'education'. This process happens in every society, including the Western one of course.

I will give just one example of a behaviour that is common to all Westerners, just like loss of face is common to all Asians. It's the tendency to think that our society is superior, that this superiority is somehow proved by the fact that we have economically and politically dominated the rest of the world from the 16th century onward. This sentiment is so deeply ingrained in all Westerners that we (or most of us) are constantly judging other societies based on our references, values and beliefs, and the rants about 'loss of face' are a perfect example. To keep that intellectual habit in check requires great efforts and years of studying. All ethnologists know that and struggle with it from day one.

Social behaviour everywhere is extremely codified, and most of the rules bring about good and bad results.

Judging being the opposite of understanding, to ask yourself what are the positive results in the 'loss of face' factor would be, I think, a good idea. And certainly more interesting than the easy and useless rants we constantly read on this Forum on the issue.

YAWN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

14 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

... And the least understood by foreigners, especially on this Forum, who are happy to just call it stupid, without making the slightest effort in understanding where it stems from and what purpose it serves, not only in Thai society but in all of Asia.

Every society harbours behaviours which can be utterly disconcerting to foreigners, but the locals see it as normal because it's part of the early-age brainwashing process called 'education'. This process happens in every society, including the Western one of course.

I will give just one example of a behaviour that is common to all Westerners, just like loss of face is common to all Asians. It's the tendency to think that our society is superior, that this superiority is somehow proved by the fact that we have economically and politically dominated the rest of the world from the 16th century onward. This sentiment is so deeply ingrained in all Westerners that we (or most of us) are constantly judging other societies based on our references, values and beliefs, and the rants about 'loss of face' are a perfect example. To see that intellectual pattern for what it is and strive to keep in check requires great efforts, immense honesty, and years of studying. All ethnologists know that and struggle with it from day one.

Social behaviour everywhere is extremely codified, and most of the rules bring about good and bad results.

Judging being the opposite of understanding, to ask yourself what are the positive results in the 'loss of face' factor would be, I think, a good idea. And certainly more interesting than the easy and useless rants we constantly read on this Forum on the issue.

So loss of face leading to murder for a dodgy haircut .....you are saying is somehow okay? or maybe loss of face over a parking spot ........shooting someone is okay?

56 minutes ago, Lex Talionis said:

The monstrous vanity of a 17-year-old, turned murderous. Welcome to the monkey house where you will learn a thing or two. 

Soon to be seen: barbers packing heat. 

This world is like a runaway train headed straight for hell.(Ozzie where r u?)

Judging by the number of people who commit offences, soon after their release from prison, I am not sure e will learn too much inside.

So sad. I am sure this kid had some "anger management" issues before but where in Thailand can one go for help? There are all kinds of factors that could result to this young man's aggression-poor parenting, mental problems, genetics, lack of values (praying at temples DO NOT teach to treasure life), saving "face"... who knows?

This 17 year old must have had a low self-esteem hoping that one kind of haircut was going to make him look like a "pretty boy" in the magazine picture he showed the barber... and he fell asleep? Another clue he must have been out late the night before.  (When I go to a new hair salon or barbershop, I have my eyes wide open to see what they're doing.)

I wonder if this kid had been to this particular barber before? Many of us know that certain barbers can style your hair and have this "gift" whereas others can not. Going to a new hair salon or barber is always a 50-50 chance of getting the haircut you wish for.

RIP  for the  barber & I wish there had been some intervention with this teenager before he got himself into trouble.

Edited by toenail
spellng

3 hours ago, sabaii69 said:

At first glance I thought 'I bet he got it cut on Wednesday'. A no no in Thai superstition. They should ban sticks and rocks here. We don't have them in UK!!!

At first glance--------- where did you get that ??

5 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

A bad haircut here is nearly as certain as sugar in your coffee.

How I disagree with this post, I have long hair which gets trimmed about every three months, and after 11 years here, never has anyone given me a bad haircut. One thing I am very strict about though is I always insist on a female barber cutting my hair.

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

This bad haircut didn't happen if we don't see a picture.

Obviously it wasn't only about the haircut but the conflict after the haircut. 

It was so bad he had to keep his crash helmet on ???????????? no way we see that !!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, LennyW said:

Aah the loss of face, possibly the biggest downfall of Thai society!

As I have stated on numerous occasions here before: This entire 'loss of Face" issue is nothing but a cardboard cutout to hide behind  from accountability and responsibility. Until a new generation changes this stories like these will continue to populate the pages  of the press.

9 hours ago, honoluludave said:

What is so wrong with this 17 year old to get that angry over a bad hair cut? Everybody gets a bad hair cut. It does grow back

Its all about status.. the barber f**ked up his street cred... in Thailand that means you gotta pay!

A man has been tragically murdered for allegedly giving a bad haircut. It's so unfair that we don't get to see a PICTURE of the haircut (vs. the picture shown to the barber) so we can judge for ourselves just how bad it was.

I know that sometimes I'm upset after a cut that looks quite bad, and then sleep on it, give it fresh shampoo, and sometimes what seemed really bad in the shop mirror turns out to be good.

4 hours ago, Yann55 said:

I will give just one example of a behaviour that is common to all Westerners, just like loss of face is common to all Asians. It's the tendency to think that our society is superior, that this superiority is somehow proved by the fact that we have economically and politically dominated the rest of the world from the 16th century onward. This sentiment is so deeply ingrained in all Westerners that we (or most of us) are constantly judging other societies based on our references, values and beliefs, and the rants about 'loss of face' are a perfect example. To see that intellectual pattern for what it is and strive to keep in check requires great efforts, immense honesty, and years of studying. All ethnologists know that and struggle with it from day one.

You just had to chime in and try to defend this disgusting act.

22 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Stupid kid. 2 lives gone over how he looked ....  he was probably more worried at the teasing he was going to get hence his emotions got to him.

Jail for life ...  at 17 he was probably quite cute.

RIP barber. You cut one hair too many.

Well, the boy will live to regret it. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

A man has been tragically murdered for allegedly giving a bad haircut. It's so unfair that we don't get to see a PICTURE of the haircut (vs. the picture shown to the barber) so we can judge for ourselves just how bad it was.

I know that sometimes I'm upset after a cut that looks quite bad, and then sleep on it, give it fresh shampoo, and sometimes what seemed really bad in the shop mirror turns out to be good.

absolute my experience ...let the barber do what he thinks looks good on u..well every time a different barber a different style for u .... i love asian barbers since day 1

53 minutes ago, free123 said:

absolute my experience ...let the barber do what he thinks looks good on u..well every time a different barber a different style for u .... i love asian barbers since day 1

Sometimes what looks bad in the shop still looks bad at home!