When the world gets you down, what do you do to cheer yourself up?

tukkytuktuk

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, KhunAussie52 said:

Get out my guitar,and the play the blues!!

Ah a like minded TV poster!

i get out my jazz basses and stratocasters, tune them up, plug in all my amps , drop either PULSE or Brit Floyd at Red Rocks on the DVD and make sure all my neighbours either join my depression or come and sing along ( so far no joiners....)

never fails when you kick kick off with a really meaty "Thin Ice" from the wall!

Go on a bike ride, and sing/shout my heart out. Make up songs as I pedal along. People don't really hear you when there is traffic going past. I always come back feeling refreshed. You can actually feel the stress/blues sliding away.  

I highly recommend a book by Martin Seligman called Learned Optimism. He's a highly respected psychologist who has done decades of research on what causes depression and how to fight it. The examples you cite above--listening to music, watching comedies--aren't bad, but they only provide distractions. Seligman argues that, in most cases, we experience depression because of the explanations we offer to ourselves for the adversity we experience in life. And he says we can combat depression by changing these explanations (he does not mean positive self-talk that you see in some pop psychology books).

You can assess your explanatory style to see if his approach is relevant to your situation: https://web.stanford.edu/class/msande271/onlinetools/LearnedOpt.html

Grab a beer! Always a good friend.

You can tell a beer everything. It never calls you wrong.
When your finish with it you can throw it away.
Your old beer is never yellous when you take the new one.

Every beer you take also always have a fair price.

See there´s always happiness in a beer.

1 minute ago, Get Real said:

Grab a beer! Always a good friend.

You can tell a beer everything. It never calls you wrong.
When your finish with it you can throw it away.
Your old beer is never yellous when you take the new one.

Every beer you take also always have a fair price.

See there´s always happiness in a beer.

I can see your point when comparing beers to women. The old one always shouts and complains when you take a new. 

I've been to a hypnotist. He put me under and brought me back around again. I Left feeling the same way. Nothing has improved. Had a beer but after a while I felt even more sad. My taste buds have changed too. Switched my cigarettes to menthol. I hallucinated the other day too. After eating pork and rice I saw a shimmer of light on the outer rim of my peripheral vision. I ran to the toilet to check my eyes. It then mysteriously disappeared. I've gone off sex too. What's going on?

I said hey... what's going on...

What's going on...

Talk to us fella, some of us care enough ( well to take the p1ss... in a positive way[emoji1303]).

Ii'll confess, my guilty secret is when the black dog growls (before it barks).. I jack up Zombie (Cranberries)

Everywhere I've ever been that has a live band on I've bribed them to sing it

#1 Favourite is my best mates Son (DJ) rocked the sh1t out of it in KL (wish we'd recorded it)

#2 is a bakla (ladyboy) comedy club in Davao, only foreigner in the room, well mullared so it's time for Zombie... here's 1,000 php (Ms hides in terror [emoji14])

But you're only British once right [emoji1303] (that's fckd the Buddhists up [emoji14])

Addendum to my post above, Zombie resonates with me because I'm from Warrington & the IRA bombed the shit out of my (small at the time) town until a couple of kiddies got killed & since then we're all on the same tract

Like they say, you had to be there

But it also reminds me to be thankfull & I know I need to keep that in mind more

I watch the Liverpool v AC Milan Champions League final. Stevie G shows miracles can happen.

Always cheers me up, plus a few episodes  of Brookside and Bread an i dust down my local traditional clothing for it.

4 hours ago, Ulysses G. said:

I visited a Go-Go bar when I was in Thailand and cheered up immediately. In the USA, I try to sleep my life away when the world gets me down. 

I hear you on the sleeping your life away part. Some days its hard to get my feet to hit the floor wondering what missteps where taking place in the world. When turning on the TV I have a coffee first and try to brace myself before viewing what stupidity mankind had gotten itself into and it never fails to produce. 

Edited by elgordo38