International Schools in Khon Kaen and Udon Thani

nataliecooke

I am an Australian Farang married to a Thai and I have two sons from a previous marriage who are 13 and 12. I am struggling to find a good international school in Khon Kaen or Udon Thani. I find the "english programs" don't even have an english speaking person to even discuss enrolments! We are planning on moving to Thailand in May and Im generally worried we won't find a school in time. Any advice/help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I do not have any specific knowledge about certain areas regarding International schools and the part where enlish teaching is regarded. One thing I know for sure though, is that you can´t come to Thailand and expect the same quality as your children would get in Australia, England or USA. The best you will find regarding International schools is in Bangkok, but they are very expensive compared to the quality in education offered.

I know that you will fins some International schools in Udon and KK, but they will probably be of much lower class than choises that you are thinking about.

As you are discovering, there probably just aren't enough non-Thai children up here to make an International School economically viable.

The people at  www.isat.or.th/index.php might know something, but I suspect it might come down to boarding or homeschooling.

If you're not going to be in full time employment, www.expatlifeinthailand.com/homeschooling/  might be the way to go.

Sorry I have to disagree with you on the quality of International schools in Bangkok. The one I taught at had a great curriculum.

To the OP, have you thought about home schooling if you can't get a school to your liking in your area.

Many outback places in Aus home school their kids.

If you get onto the NTschools web site (NT Australia), you can make enquires there.

I looked after the high and middle school in a remote Arnhem Land location and I found the programs excellent and followed the Aus curriculum. Students graduated from year 12 with their Aus certificate.

Not too sure how home schooling goes if you LIVE in Asia, maybe you need to just be long term visitor?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Hi Natalie,

There is a school called Khon Kaen Vithes Suksa, which is run by NZ teachers (American and English also) in Khon Kaen. Runs a bilingual programme based on the Cambridge & Thai curriculum. For Secondary contact Mike Brookes who is Head of Seniors and Deputy Director. All teachers qualified and certified from own origin country. Homestay with teachers available for students if need term-time. Good luck.

• 1 year later...

Paramin in Udon Thani KG to grade 6, each class has a Thai and English (usually American) teacher

My son has been there for 3 years and loves it.

Fees are 35K-40K per semester, a whole lot less than UDIS

Archived