Smart Phone under ฿10,000

Issangeorge

After two Galaxy S4's and a Galaxy S5 mainboard failures, I am finished with top of the line Samsung phones. After a lot of research, I bought me wife a Chinese phone. It is an Xiaomi Mi5. The phone is impressive and faster with a better camera than the Samsung S5. When I set it up for her, I was impressed. She uses all that social crap and is on the phone every day. I had the main board replaced in the S5 and when I got it back, I asked her if she wanted it back. No way would she change back to the Samsung. She loves that Xiaomi. She always uses the speakerphone option. The speaker is loud and clear, rather amazing. It cost around 10,000 baht. Not cheap but a lot cheaper than a top of the line Samsung. The biggest question is how long the Xiaomi will last. The only thing she didn't like was the launcher. I downloaded and installed the Google launcher from Playstore and now it works like her old S5.

I was using her old S5 with the new mainboard. It lasted two weeks and the mainboard failed again. Fortunately it had a 90 day warranty so It is back in the shop again. That's the third trip back to the repair shop. I was sold on Samsung because of an original S3. I had to replace the touchscreen but other than that, it is still working fine. At least in my experience, their quality is now terrible.

• Like 2

Xiaomi, I will research that thanks. The high end phones are out of my range. I have looked at the Samsung J 7, but think their are better phones for the price, at least spec wise there are.
Huawei specs look good, and the price is in my range, but I am having trouble finding a review.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

Im always raving about Xiaomi on this forum had  Redmi Note 3 @ 6k great specs great battery, moved up to a MI MAX @7500 with a monster 6.44 screen, great specs, even better battery, will easily do a full day at heavy use. SOT normally about 10 hours.

I have the 5.5 version. Outstanding. [emoji16]
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, INDI12 said:

anywhere in chiang mai that sells this phone?

Lazada has a number of Xiaomi models available. They ship to your front door anywhere in Thailand at no charge. I live in Loei province and normal delivery here is normally about four days. Just make sure that the product is here in Thailand and not from a foreign seller. Foreign sellers may be OK but delivery is usually two weeks or longer.

My wife has an original Xiaomi Mi5. She loves it and since  the Samsung S5 came back from the repair shop, she refuses to change back to the Samsung. I am now using the S5. It took three trips to the repair shop and cost me 4,500 baht for a new mainboard. They first tried to repair the mainboard but that lasted two days. They then put in a new mainboard and that lasted two weeks before failing. Hopefully this time it will last. They insist that the new mainboards are genuine Samsung replacements.

I agree with the Xiaomi advocates, my next phone will be a Xiaomi. I've done a fair amount of research and looked carefully at the specs, for what a Samsung S7 or iPhone costs, you can get just a comparable phone for less than half the price.  

On 24/01/2017 at 1:57 PM, Gary A said:

After two Galaxy S4's and a Galaxy S5 mainboard failures, I am finished with top of the line Samsung phones. After a lot of research, I bought me wife a Chinese phone. It is an Xiaomi Mi5. The phone is impressive and faster with a better camera than the Samsung S5. When I set it up for her, I was impressed. She uses all that social crap and is on the phone every day. I had the main board replaced in the S5 and when I got it back, I asked her if she wanted it back. No way would she change back to the Samsung. She loves that Xiaomi. She always uses the speakerphone option. The speaker is loud and clear, rather amazing. It cost around 10,000 baht. Not cheap but a lot cheaper than a top of the line Samsung. The biggest question is how long the Xiaomi will last. The only thing she didn't like was the launcher. I downloaded and installed the Google launcher from Playstore and now it works like her old S5.

I was using her old S5 with the new mainboard. It lasted two weeks and the mainboard failed again. Fortunately it had a 90 day warranty so It is back in the shop again. That's the third trip back to the repair shop. I was sold on Samsung because of an original S3. I had to replace the touchscreen but other than that, it is still working fine. At least in my experience, their quality is now terrible.

I bought the same make of phone a year ago.  Only 2Gb of memory which is not enough, but in all other respects, an excellent phone.    Cost me U$169.00 in China, and newer models on line with Lazada.   If buying make sure that it will come with English as an optional language.

Can't see why everyone goes crazy over Apples.

Hey Issangeorge,

I've owned a Huawei GR5 for 7 months now and it is every bit as good as my previous Samsung with specs as good or better and a larger screen with better camera. Totally recommend it.

However, 9000 Baht is insane. I live in Laos and they're brand new here with extras (mine came with an extra SIM card and 6 months free calling and internet) for 1.2 million Kip. That's less than US$ 150.00. They were on sale here a couple of months ago for slightly less with a better bonus package.

On 1/24/2017 at 10:57 AM, Gary A said:

Exactly ! How can people be so stupid to spend more for a phone than a computer ?

10000 is a maximum and more than enough for anybody, especially because people do not do anything but facebook with their phone !

My gf has an OPPO for some years  and she is very happy with it. In fact if she had to buy a new one now she would buy OPPO again she said.

As many Thais she uses her Phone all day long for take pics, Skype, line, internet, ... and the battery last a reasonable time before she need her batterypack to charge again.

10 hours ago, abab said:

Exactly ! How can people be so stupid to spend more for a phone than a computer ?

10000 is a maximum and more than enough for anybody, especially because people do not do anything but facebook with their phone !

" especially because people do not do anything but Facebook with their phone ! "

Really !  My phone gets used for lots of other stuff.

Just sayin.

ASUS Zenphone 2 Max (6")

I paid 5,800 at Best Buy.  No bottons on the side so no accidental volume changes or screen off mistakes. Great screen and icon choices with the latest Zen UI.  Good camera and sound. Miracast works well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

ASUS Zenphone 2 Max (6")

I paid 5,800 at Best Buy.  No bottons on the side so no accidental volume changes or screen off mistakes. Great screen and icon choices with the latest Zen UI.  Good camera and sound. Miracast works well.

Ridiculous Zen ui is the reason why I will never buy Asus stupid phones and I can't believe that anybody likes this retarded software.

Samsung and of course Google phones are the closest to pure Android without shiiiite addons. I find really weird that people buy a phone that is not real Android, meaning that when they will change the brand the options will change.

Also, if you do not have pure android the updates are always delayed + more problems.

Chinese phones also have this problem, I only found that imobile didn't add a stupid heavy interface on their phones.

On 14/02/2017 at 4:04 PM, irwinfc said:

i'd go with the others on Xiaomi. they make fantastic devices. their devices put flagship smart devices to shame. i have a redmi note 3 pro, which i think has been replaced by redmi note 4.

I have a spare case for a Xiaomi Note 4 ... you can guess why :sad:

I agree that Xiaomi make good value devices, but I'll keep my 2 (almost) generation old Samsung with a better screen and faster processor.
Another point is getting them repaired if you do something silly like I did with mine. Samsung have repair centres everywhere.

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant