Thailand’s corruption ranking drops from 76th to 101st in 2016 CPI

webfact

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Worse than Indonesia!!! Wonder how they will spin this?

In the Corruption Perception Report there were two S.E. countries listed as having worsening corruption situations. Those two were Cambodia and Thailand.

Two of the the improving countries were Laos and Myanmar. 

To be fair to the PM I think he said he had planned to eliminate corruption in 20 years.

Countdown time is approaching .....only 19 Years and 5 months to go to July 2036.

6 hours ago, boooker said:

This Country goes back centurys aswell others......this is thick water area and surely not an overnight task to solve.

Well, who exactly is trying to solve it?  Has the infamous abbot been arrested yet?  Have any big wigs in the armed forces been found guilty of any corruption and their assets confiscated?  Who will benefit from the new orders for last years and this year's orders for tanks and submarines ?  What happened in the case of the Phuket land officer who supposedly committed suicide in his cell and all the dodgy land transfers he was a party to?  The silence is deafening!  

Yes, not so much as thick water as a murky swamp and at this rate, even the current P.M. will not live to see any substantial reduction in Thailand's inherent corruption.   A real war on corruption would be much more beneficial to the people in this country than a fake preparation for a potential war with Thailand's friendly neighbours, unless of course the P.M. believes there is a possibility that its main "new friend" might turn on him.

5 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

"I spent 5 years in South Vietnam during the war, and that government was far more corrupt than anything I have ever seen here in Thailand".

Oh well, that makes it all OK then?  No need to take any action here?

I was in the UK during the 2nd World War, when the Germans were bombing the hell out of London and other major cities, but I feel much safer now here in Thailand.

There really is no facet of Thailand bereft of corruption. Some of it has just been around for so long, and practiced so well by those in power, that it just becomes the new normal.

The Stock Exchange of Thailand is often called the "murkiest" market in Asia; and insider trading has only recently even been highlighted. Typically those charged claim it was accidental, or some relative, or some misunderstanding. A small fine is paid, and they learn to be more subtle in the future.

3 hours ago, gamini said:

It is the army that is unearthing all the corruption which was swept under the carpet by previous governments. As they find more and more corruption, obviously, the country's corruption index changes.

Well that's a different take on things...........are you by any chance a Trump supporter?

7 hours ago, smutcakes said:

It is a perception index, which is pretty arbitrary. However i can understand why perception of corruption is high. There is very little transparency, independent agencies are basically scared or under the command of the Government and i presume many are frightened to even seriously raise issues. Given that setting it is not hard to see why the perception of corruption is growing. Its not as if the army have a long track record of squeaky clean functioning.....

Whilst it is arbitrary there have been some interesting media coverage of cases involving people in authority and their families. Those cases were all cleared off rather quickly, possible creating the perception of a gloss over.

I agree with Rob, many Western countries don't allow foreign monitoring of elections, referendums or votes. Not sure that in itself is a viable variable unless applied to all uniformly.

But the perceived gloss overs of several high profile reported scenarios would be pertinent.

I remember much was made by supporters of the shut down Bangkok movement of the 'fall' in Thailand's absolute rank in this index under Thaksin, despite this being significantly affected by the compilers of the list increasing the number of countries listed (so Thailand's relative rank was fairly similar). What do they have to say about this?

4 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Whilst it is arbitrary there have been some interesting media coverage of cases involving people in authority and their families. Those cases were all cleared off rather quickly, possible creating the perception of a gloss over.

I agree with Rob, many Western countries don't allow foreign monitoring of elections, referendums or votes. Not sure that in itself is a viable variable unless applied to all uniformly.

But the perceived gloss overs of several high profile reported scenarios would be pertinent.

Hmm, but not allowing foreign observers wasn't the only criticism pointed towards the referendum last August. In fact there were much graver points raised, and no western countries are preventing debate, finger printing ballots and a few more transgressions...

And none came up with a referendum that offered no choice, vote yes and get continued military rules via an appointed senate with far reaching powers, vote no and we will amend the interim constitution and call it a day.

Edited by sjaak327

30 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

The number of people that truly believe the Thai army is really fighting corruption must be extremely tiny by now.

Of course people that know the history of this country and of it's armed forces, never believed that load of <deleted>..

I think a lot of people already knew that "corruption" was a code word for social liberalism and social spending. 

4 hours ago, smutcakes said:

On a serious note, can you give me a couple of examples of cases of corruption the military has unearthed? Surely unearthing corruption would have the opposite affect on this index?

Illegal car import rings, the new bus duty avoidance fiasco, certain officials removed and facing charges.

There certainly has been an increase in cases. However, it could be argued, that the cases were somewhat targeted. And it could be argued that some high profile new examples brought to media attention were brushed away rather quickly and without real explanation.

Add that to the, right or wrong, inclusion of failure to allow independent monitors for the new charter vote and denials of debate and you can see how the plus and minuses balance out at a few points less, which translates into a large drop in places.

5 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Hmm, but not allowing foreign observers wasn't the only criticism pointed towards the referendum last August. In fact there were much graver points raised, and no western countries are preventing debate, finger printing ballots and a few more transgressions...

And none came up with a referendum that offered no choice, vote yes and get continued military rules via an appointed senate with far reaching powers, vote no and we will amend the interim constitution and call it a day.

That would be fine in an Index of political freedom or something similar. Rather than adding it to a corruption index which should focus on actual corruption.

I'd like to see a distinction between possible corruption in the political processes that establish the framework as well as an index of incidences and types of corruption.

I think a single index like this becomes not only arbitrary but also clouds real issues which need bringing out. 

6 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

That would be fine in an Index of political freedom or something similar. Rather than adding it to a corruption index which should focus on actual corruption.

I'd like to see a distinction between possible corruption in the political processes that establish the framework as well as an index of incidences and types of corruption.

I think a single index like this becomes not only arbitrary but also clouds real issues which need bringing out. 

There's always going to be a subjective element in gradings of this type, but Transparency International has experience and integrity.Your major error is to believe corruption (or lack of) and freedom (or lack of) are not inextricably linked.

Incidentally there's a lot of dishonest nonsense on this thread about western democracies not permitting foreign observers at elections.It's simply not true.

Just another reason why this country is going backwards. Instead of the inane mottos "moving Thailand forward" or "amazing Thailand", they should use "moving Thailand backwards at an alarming pace, with absolute and thorough success". 

It would appear this administration is doing everything within it's power to halt any form of progress, improvement, or growth here. They have undone in two years, what it took the Thai people 45 years to build. And that is a great tourism sector. It is being torn asunder, by the day. Incompetency, blatant disregard for traffic safety, coherent visa policy, or effective tourism promotion is destroying this once thriving industry. 

As far as corruption goes, the one thing you can be absolutely and positively assured of, is that while this administration is in power, nothing will be done about solving the corruption issue. The best way to understand the current leader, is to realize he was put into place for one reason. And one reason only. To insure the status quo. To not rock the boat. To make sure that the wealthy, the powerful, the connected, the influential, and those in office are not disturbed one iota, and that their livelihoods are not threatened. Only the really little fish will be sought after. 

From today's presser:

Prayut says corruption cases 'all in the past'  

Gen Prayut also cited astrological predictions that things that have been concealed will all be revealed.

Phew, I feel so much better.

and he invoked astrologers several times. 

The BP has details, although a bit embarrassing.

7 hours ago, gamini said:

It is the army that is unearthing all the corruption which was swept under the carpet by previous governments. As they find more and more corruption, obviously, the country's corruption index changes.

Nice try. The imagination of the junta apologists is unparalleled!

The real reason is:

"The watchdog attributed the drop to government repression, lack of independent oversight, entrenched military rule, deteriorating rights and a banned opposition. "

But A for effort!

No free speach, no investigation by a free press, no participation of the people of this country for anything that is going on politcaly

will also and ever bring up more and more corruption as the junta is trying to keep everything under the carpet!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is good, the world knows about this and whatever the junta will do to keep this all as a secret will not be sucessfull!!!!!