Thais warned they cannot work in Malaysia without a permit after 50 arrests

rooster59

Thais warned they cannot work in Malaysia without a permit after 50 arrests

EyWwB5WU57MYnKOtUA2UmLDBza3xVuzHKeoliZFT9O0yjWKEcm69ju.jpg
Image: Thairath

BANGKOK:-- The Labor Department has warned the Thai people that they cannot work in Malaysia without a work permit.

The directive comes after 50 Thai people were arrested for selling food and other goods at a fair organized in the state of Malacca.

Most of the workers were hired rather than the organizers of food stall. 

They had come from the south of Thailand to serve food and sell products at the "Thai Festival" organized in the parking lot of a shopping centre.

Those arrested face fines of 1000 ringgit (about 8,000 baht) or even a six month jail term for illegal working.

The Labor Department advised all Thais thinking of doing any kind of work in Malaysia or other countries in ASEAN to get the relevant documentation.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-28

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

They had come from the south of Thailand to serve food and sell products at the "Thai Festival" organized in the parking lot of a shopping centre.

To be fair, you'd exect Thais to be working  at a Thai Festival. 

Still...as BBG says-there is a certain amount of poetic justice here.  

Poetic justice!

Not so fast, if the work permit laws are tightened up abroad for Thai's then I'm damn sure that the Thai's will tighten up on work permit laws for foreigners working here in Thailand.

I'm not laughing, I'm worried, as all the red tape gets more and more stricter and complicated for us foreigners working in Thailand.

25 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Not so fast, if the work permit laws are tightened up abroad for Thai's then I'm damn sure that the Thai's will tighten up on work permit laws for foreigners working here in Thailand.

I'm not laughing, I'm worried, as all the red tape gets more and more stricter and complicated for us foreigners working in Thailand.

As I know, work permits in foreign countries are not easy to get....almost impossible in Australia, USA, Singapore and etc....Thailand is already strict..get caught working here with no permit and check the damage bill.

Edited by ChrisY1

6 minutes ago, Fookhaht said:

Excuse me, but how many people have been arrested 50 times? Farang or Thai?

Am I missing something here?

The English is terrible, how about this:

Thais warned they cannot work in Malaysia after 50 of them arrested without a permit

1 hour ago, Wilsonandson said:

Can they get any tighter for a Farang in Thiland?

58 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

As I know, work permits in foreign countries are not easy to get....almost impossible in Australia, USA, Singapore and etc....Thailand is already strict..get caught working here with no permit and check the damage bill.

Yes the top of the chart is Australia. You need to be a doctor or have a highly skilled profession before they will even consider you. I wonder if this latest illegal workers row in Malaysia would increase the chances of a wall being built on the Malaysian-Thai border. Keep the terrorists out and stop the illegal Thai workers getting in.

1 hour ago, Wilsonandson said:

They can get much stricter. They already are.

5 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Oh yes! Criminal background checks, blood and stool samples checked for not only STD's but illegal drugs. A friend of mine had his finger prints taken as part of the work permit process. Financial checks, tax, health insurance, company you work for checked it has the correct amount of Thais to foreigners working for them. Your home address needs to be reported and confirmed that you reside there. I'm sure there will be other requirements soon.

1 minute ago, Wilsonandson said:

Oh yes! Criminal background checks, blood and stool samples checked for not only STD's but illegal drugs. A friend of mine had his finger prints taken as part of the work permit process. Financial checks, tax, health insurance, company you work for checked it has the correct amount of Thais to foreigners working for them. Your home address needs to be reported and confirmed that you reside there. I'm sure there will be other requirements soon.

Sounds bad maybe next they will ask how many times you go to the loo a day

and how many coffees you drink a day?

Glad I left. nice here today bit of sunshine and no dam mosquitoes or ants or stupid drivers (so far)

14 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Sounds bad maybe next they will ask how many times you go to the loo a day

and how many coffees you drink a day?

Glad I left. nice here today bit of sunshine and no dam mosquitoes or ants or stupid drivers (so far)

Oh and I forgot the latest form which requires you to write down all the social media sites you visit. Your Email address, facebook, twitter accounts and the passport numbers of your family, their names, their addresses, email address, facebook details. For those of us who are married a copy of your partners blue book and a signed letter saying you live where you say you live. Her I.D card, a sponser for her, another family member to back up her story to prove she's married to you and you live where you do. Every 90 days you must report in person to immigration. Photograph taken. Fill out a form confirming you home address and proof you still live there a copy of a letter from the landlord confirming you do. A signature from your wife seconding that you live there. Tax must be paid within 3 days of recieving your paycheck. Reciepts kept for proof. Your work permit and passport must be on your person at all times. Think that's about it.

7 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Oh and I forgot the latest form which requires you to write down all the social media sites you visit. Your Email address, facebook, twitter accounts and the passport numbers of your family, their names, their addresses, email address, facebook details. For those of us who are married a copy of your partners blue book and a signed letter saying you live where you say you live. Her I.D card, a sponser for her, another family member to back up her story to prove she's married to you and you live where you do. Every 90 days you must report in person to immigration. Photograph taken. Fill out a form confirming you home address and proof you still live there a copy of a letter from the landlord confirming you do. A signature from your wife seconding that you live there. Tax must be paid within 3 days of recieving your paycheck. Reciepts kept for proof. Your work permit and passport must be on your person at all times. Think that's about it.

And yet,the line up of suckers and dreamers wishing to spend their lives here is endless, just look at immigration offices in Bangkok, Chiang Mai Pattaya etc. Amazing!

7 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

And yet,the line up of suckers and dreamers wishing to spend their lives here is endless, just look at immigration offices in Bangkok, Chiang Mai Pattaya etc. Amazing!

i believe it is a line up of suckies, not suckers. :smile:

18 hours ago, hEaDy said:

The English is terrible, how about this:

Thais warned they cannot work in Malaysia after 50 of them arrested without a permit

It would be great to be able to get a work permit in Thailand after being arrested only 49 times. It's the 50th that's a ball buster. 

"The Labor Department advised all Thais thinking of doing any kind of work in Malaysia or other countries in ASEAN to get the relevant documentation."

Maybe those who were arrested were labouring (!) under the misapprehension that ASEAN had a single market like the EU!

I was one of those and still am. Yes, the lure of living in Thailand where the price of living compared to the west is so low is always going to be a popular place to work.

If asked what keeps me here, one reason springs to mind. Apart from living like a king the choice of living with the most beautiful women in the world has to be the main reason.

Once you've gone Asian you never go back to Caucasian. That's why I put up with whatever is thrown in my way. Back in Blighty my chances of being with a beauty are zero. As for foreign women workers out here. No idea why they wanner come or stay here.

14 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

true but they aren't exactly the brightest people. no offense but most farlangs live here cuz they can't afford costa de sol or balearics... and because yoni is available on each corner of the street. ask harry!

On 28/01/2017 at 7:47 PM, wakeupplease said:

Take it from someone who has worked in the order of 26 countries including Thailand.

Thailand doesnt even come close to the top of the table in the difficulty or "tighter" stakes, in fact based on my experiences, Thailand is one of the easiest to get approved for provided your skills and knowlege are in need  

1 hour ago, Mook23 said:

true but they aren't exactly the brightest people. no offense but most farlangs live here cuz they can't afford costa de sol or balearics... and because yoni is available on each corner of the street. ask harry!

Most believe they should be given a work permit solely on basis of the fact they are white and from a western country 

8 minutes ago, Savilesghost said:

Most believe they should be given a work permit solely on basis of the fact they are white and from a western country 

No, most think they should be exempt from any silly WP requirements because they're white and from a western country.  

They only condescend to the work permit requirement because of the cuties.