Fat people paying more on motorcycle taxis in Bangkok - "Wins" say no after sign removed

rooster59

Fat people paying more on motorcycle taxis in Bangkok - "Wins" say no after sign removed

aHR0cDovL3BlMS5pc2Fub29rLmNvbS9ucy8wL3VkLzQzMi8yMTYwMTcwL05ld3MxNC5qcGc=.jpg

Image: Sanook

Social media went barmy on Saturday after a man posted a picture of a motorcycle taxi rank at Lat Prao Soi 1 with a sign saying fat people had to pay more.

The sign - posted on the twitter account of Ychalermthai - said that those passengers weighing 80 kilograms had to pay five baht more and those 100 kilos up had to fork out a 10 baht surcharge.

But when reporters went to the rank on Saturday the sign had been taken down and the "Win" riders claimed innocence.

They had no idea who put up the sign, they said, and it was not their policy to charge extra for fat people.

However, they did admit that some overweight customers did voluntarily pay extra. There are 76 riders at the busy rank.

Sanook.com reported that fees for bikes in the area are set and no mention is made in the regulations that it is acceptable to charge more for fat people.

The poster of the picture, a resident of Soi 1, said he took it on Friday and the sign had been there for one or two days at that point. By Saturday after he had posted it on Twitter it had been taken down.

He said he was a regular user of the bike service and was a large chap who sometimes was asked for extra because of that. Sometimes he paid up and sometimes he didn't, he said.  

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-29

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, ezzra said:

It goes with the mentality that farangs has to pay more because they're rich,

well, no one said you have to have brains or manners to be a moto taxi....

I thought not having either was essential to get the job.

35 minutes ago, ezzra said:

It goes with the mentality that farangs has to pay more because they're rich,

well, no one said you have to have brains or manners to be a moto taxi....

You wouldn't be overweight by any chance, would you?

Simple mathematics. If a person is 50 kg compared to 100-110 kg the motorbike will use more fuel depending on the wieght.
There is also a bigger chance that the motorbikes take a harder beating and more damage from a bigger person.
Totally fair and makes everybody else not have to pay for a general raise that surely occurs out of this reason.

7 minutes ago, lgking said:

I am just waiting for the airlines to kick in and start adopting this policy.

Yes, as they are so petty about the weight of bags / luggage you can take, but a huge fat person that weighs 4 times as much as me can pay the same price?!  Price should go on weigh..... because more weight uses more fuel. 

Kind of like FedEx...pay by the kilo. I'm not so sure this isn't a bad idea, though I have to admit, I'm a small guy and may be slightly biased :smile:

Edited by mosan
Had to brush my sentence structure.

19 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Yes, as they are so petty about the weight of bags / luggage you can take, but a huge fat person that weighs 4 times as much as me can pay the same price?!  Price should go on weigh..... because more weight uses more fuel. 

Cool, I have 2 young kids, so they'll get a rebate.

Brigante7.

But it is acceptable practice to charge more for foreigners.......especially the ones that can not speak Thai and really have no Idea what the reasonable charge would be...as how would they...so they pay the requested or demanded price while thinking / believing: "Hey that was cheap enough"...compared to their home country ...but, in reality, paid 2 to 3 to 4 times more than any local Thai person would pay.

So no need for the Fat people surcharge as there are plenty of Foreigners around to "Over Charge" ( but not rip off,  of course, as that is dishonest and illegal ) but overcharging is acceptable practice and "Thai Style" ...while the nice motorcycle taxi guys actually give you the correct change back....... seeing as they are so honest and trustworthy and all ....lol

5 hours ago, berybert said:

If  you can afford to be fat you can afford to pay more for services. The extra weight is going to cost the rider more in petrol. Why should fat people get sympathy, make 'em pay.

Does that include people with thyroid issues? 

Airlines I dont think theyve altered the arbitary passenger weight figure for their flight calculations since not long after WW2 rationing ended....theyve sure gotten bigger since!

But seriously if you dont fit in one seat you should buy two.

I think the 80k amount is a little off for a 5 baht surcharge. If you are 175cm or more I would hardly agree with that being overweight. At 185 or more and 80k  many people are almost skinny ( depending where the weight is). At 100k or  more it would be hard to argue the surcharge. Have you ever seen some big ones get on a bike and the back of it almost touches the ground!! I feel sorry for the abuse the bike takes and think maybe even 20 baht additional charge is in order or a complete refusal by the driver is okay. It's his bike why would he want it damaged by Mr/ Mrs fat ass. 

16 minutes ago, Wiggy said:

Does that include people with thyroid issues? 

Yes. That thyroid card has been so popular and overused since the 80's.  By  the ways most fat people do not have thyroid issues.  They eat a lot and exercise a little.  

Edited by alex8912

29 minutes ago, ttthailand said:

I think anyone over 100kg should not be permitted to ride or is up to the driver if he wants to take. Difficult to control those little bikes weaving in and out of traffic with 100kg shifting around on the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I see them managing quite fine with two people on the back

11 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Yes. That thyroid card has been so popular and overused since the 80's.  By  the ways most fat people do not have thyroid issues.  They eat a lot and exercise a little.  

Nearly always an overactive knife and fork

Not an overactive thyroid

;)

5 minutes ago, alien365 said:

I see them managing quite fine with two people on the back

Or weaving through Bangkok's China town with a 'leaning tower' of goods enveloping the rider