What are the most common stir fry oils used at the Thai places?

Hal65

My wife's restaurant used the cheapest oil that she could find, brand/kind didn't matter, and also rendered pork fat.

She would never use that oil at home and always used the yellow top one there.

If engine oil was acceptable and cheap enough, it would be used.

At some of the roadside places, i think it could be, although I think the Thais use mainly cheap and unhealthy Palm Oil.

A good helping of " Thai Salt " is then added ( MSG ) to give the street food cred

1 hour ago, RBOP said:

Palm oil which is the cheapest and most unhealthy. 

I'm sure you're correct.  

It was interesting to note that on a recent visit to Australia, I didn't see palm oil on sale anywhere. 

10 minutes ago, masuk said:

I'm sure you're correct.  

It was interesting to note that on a recent visit to Australia, I didn't see palm oil on sale anywhere. 

Unfortunately it is sold and used in Australia, promoted as an ecologically sustainable product! What a load of crap - it is very high in saturated fats and therefore "unhealthy". A win for the greenies (and product promoters) perhaps but definitely not a win for healthy humanity. :post-4641-1156693976: Labelling laws allow it to be sold as a vegetable oil :sad:

It's also very bad new for the bugs, butterflies, birds, primates, elephants that live in the forests.

Where does an elephant go for shade when the trees are down?  Look at the approaches to KL airport.  Kilometre after km of palm oil trees.  Borneo is becoming the same.

Palm oil . That's why you get a funny taste ages after eating.

Its not healthy , bad for the environment in the making due to land burning , but I assume grows rapidly so the profit is quicker to get .

I try to use sunflower oil for thai cooking and olive oil for most other cooking that needs oil.

Edited by ronaldo0

3 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

At some of the roadside places, i think it could be, although I think the Thais use mainly cheap and unhealthy Palm Oil.

A good helping of " Thai Salt " is then added ( MSG ) to give the street food cred

sure glad they don't import gutter oil from China. Whatever you do - don't check for that on youtube!!!

3 minutes ago, tifino said:

sure glad they don't import gutter oil from China. Whatever you do - don't check for that on youtube!!!

Damn, now I just have to..and did, and yes it is disgusting. So back to palm oil then? All of a sudden that seems to be a very healthy choice. :smile:

20 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Cake Monster , it's funny you mentioned engine oil. About 30 years ago there was a case in Spain(if I didn't get the country wrong). that mix engine oil with cooking oil and sold them and quite a few people died.

I believe they add a little engine oil to your sesame seed oil, so your sesame oil do look kind of thick. I wonder what engine oil does to your body. Do you pass them out in the stools?

I try not to eat sesame oil and also seldom eat  oily stuff at foodstalls.

I once bought recycle oil unknowningly. I broke out in boils after consuming that re-cycle cooking oil. Just imagine how bad that oil is.

I even use virgin olive oil for cooking now. Well, I never deep fried, only light stir fry. It tastes good. The oil look greenish because it's not processed at all. "Cold press" direct into the bottle.

Edited by madusa
to correct a letter

I did some research on "eating oil"- it's called "eating oil"  to distinguish from any other oil. So eating oil could be vegetable oil, seeds oil, lard, etc..,

Palm oil is now widely used because it is probably the cheapest eating oil on the market, i.e, compare to Sunflower oil, Peanut oil, Soyabean oil. It will remain widely use I believe until an alternative oil just as cheap and healthy could be found.

The way we cook our foods show we are ignorant of the diseases caused by deep fried foods, sure deep fried foods taste wonderful and you get sort of addicted to it.

Unless we change to healthy life style avoid deep fried and any oily foods this palm oil will be the choice of all foodstalls down the road. Blame your eating habit that support the cheap oil being used. Profit always  the priority not your health, like your hair falling off in bunch.

1 minute ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

sirmund63

You cant fool me matey,your secret is out,20% three in one oil,20% castor oil, 20% oil of clothes,20% crude oil. Crude oil being the one that says "f##K,f##k f##k

55555555. no fooling you ,  is there .:clap2: