Thai Govt unfazed by lower ranking in corruption index

webfact

pm.png

BANGKOK, 30 January 2017 (NNT) – The Thai government is not perturbed about the recently-released 2016 Corruption Perception Index (CPI) which ranks Thailand at number 101 among 176 countries surveyed. The government gave an assurance that its top priority is to remove corruption practices from Thai society. 

Downgraded from 76th to 101st, Thailand scored only 35 points on the Corruption Perception Index last year, sliding down from 38 in 2015. The CPI is an annual report compiled by Transparency International, a Berlin-based non-governmental organization, the prime mission of which is to combat corruption and criminal activities arising from corruption around the world. 

Responding to the latest ranking, Lt. Gen. Sunsern Kaewkumnerd, the Thai government's spokesperson, said the prime minister was neither disconcerted nor upset about the report because the country’s overall score only dropped by 3 points from the previous year even though the difference in the ranking was significant. 

The spokesperson then disclosed that the government was reviewing its weaknesses such as businessmen's and traders’ perceptions of Thai authorities, adding that the prime minister had already assigned all responsible agencies to develop a sustainable solution to the problem, close all legal loopholes, and promote active participation among the public and the private sector. 

The CPI contradicts the recent survey by the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce which gave Thailand 55 points in its corruption survey last December, the best result in 6 years.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-01-30

"....the prime minister was neither disconcerted nor upset about the report because the country’s overall score only dropped by 3 points from the previous year.."

So their performance in tackling corruption has declined but it's nothing to worry about. Glad they set the record straight.

3 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

"....the prime minister was neither disconcerted nor upset about the report because the country’s overall score only dropped by 3 points from the previous year.."

So their performance in tackling corruption has declined but it's nothing to worry about. Glad they set the record straight.

When you aren't accountable in any way, shape or form, have no elections to worry about and decide yourselves how popular you are, what is there to worry about?

4 hours ago, debate101 said:

Why would they be fazed? Corruption is good business for those in power. Try to pursue it and you'll end up in jail.

If they really wanted to enlist and encourage the public's help in combating corruption in Thailand, they'd eliminate defamation as a criminal offense, and provide legal protections for whistle-blowers. Make those kinds of changes, and then we'll begin to believe you're getting serious about corruption.

But of course, the current government won't do that, and hasn't shown any signs of moving in that direction. Which kind of shows, they're perfectly happy to go on with rampant corruption just as it currently exists -- provided that the correct parties are the ones who benefit from it.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

5 hours ago, dcnx said:

Honestly, I wish the world would hit them with crippling sanctions. The fact the free world still does military drills with them and sends aid is sickening.

Wholeheartedly agree with your second sentence. As to sanctions, as they could seriously affect the average man on the street, they would need to be handled very carefully. Something that would hold those in power by their short and curlies but not impact the average Joe. Thailand really does not have much bargaining power so there is not much it could threaten to do that would impact the countries imposing the sanctions, without hurting itself financially. 

The army certainly needs to be forced to open its accounts for public review. The army is the single largest vehicle of corruption but who has the power to put the brakes on it and throw open the doors for inspection. The army needs to be seriously downsized and procurement closely monitored.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

All they are concerned about is to make Thailand a "Tight Little Island" unto itself with a controlled media/government to spout their doctrine (Read enclosed thread about the new media control bill that they adamantly want to push forward). Relax brethren they just want to include you as Robert De Niro so aptly put it in their "Circle of Trust"

completely screwed up 'government' of generals cannot do a darn thing for the country except their own posturing and throwing opponents in jail...

Good job General. I bet you can't wait to become the next "PM" under the next "civilian" government, ... whenever that happens, 2018, ... 2019, ... 2020, .... 

the government was reviewing its weaknesses such as businessmen's and traders’ perceptions of Thai authorities

Nice words

I am Thinking I am Thinking I will come back with some soon I Think I might I Think

Mean Time

Correct true words

A bunch of liars cheats thieves and murderers, as a business man that is what I think, sorry know to be the case, unless he wears a golden robe and in that case he is also a O my keyboard has stopped working??????????

On 1/30/2017 at 4:23 AM, webfact said:

why would they be fazed....they know its not the true reading anyway......they should be more like 150/176

Edited by sioux2012
only ones worst than thailand is the african nations. And frankly, we all need a level of corruption. The level of corruption is determined by what is demanded case by case.